Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My new weaning method seems to work

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

My new weaning method seems to work Empty
PostSubject: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2007, 3:42 pm

So, I said I was gonna try a different way to wean this year. Usually I just bring all my mares in with their foals, put them in the barn, then leave the babies in the stalls while I put the mares back out in the pastures.
This year, I am taking the mares out 1 or 2 at a time. The babies seem way less stressed. I took Penny off Freckles and Oscar off Vamp because we were taking the mares on a weekend trail ride. I still ride my mares while they have foals, well not all of them, but you get the idea.
Anyhow, Penny has lost some condition, but I suspect that Oscar is stealing sips from his older sister. Both seem fairly content. The mares left Thursday evening and were back on Sunday. The mares are kept on one side of the farm and the babies the other, but they could hear each other if they started hollering, which they haven't been doing. So Saturday I am bringing 2 mares to my grandparents and leaving them there for a week or so. This seems to be working not too badly. We'll see how the next two go.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2007, 7:10 pm

I envy you having a place to take mommas where they cant hear their babies and vice versa... That is so nice!!! I was able to do that one year and it was so much easier
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2007, 9:18 am

Evil or Very Mad I hate weaning time! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2007, 2:17 pm

We weaned Rowdy yesterday. Just gave him some grain, loaded momma up and took her away while he was eating. I had him stalled for a couple of hours and he never even yelled for her once. Then, I turned him out with Nick and he did about 10 minutes of running around trying to find her. The mare, on the other hand, never even looked for him. I think she was relieved. Nick thinks it's great that he is actually with someone who is scared when he lays his ears back. I'm sure that'll take about 2 weeks to change.

Denise
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2007, 10:39 pm

we have 2 weaning on the 4th should be fun No boys and their mommas yikes!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 7:45 am

turns out Secret was nursing 3 colts, so she was next to leave the pasture. For next year, I'm gonna make sure the mares who will alow other babies to nurse off them get weaned off first. Otherwise I've had no problems. Dexter is still with his momma, but he injured an eye,so he'll stay with her for a bit. Looks like he's gonna lose the sight in it. I hate seeing my babies injured. But each time I treat him I'm thankfull that I put some time on him as a newborn and got him quiet. Makes alot of difference in a situation like this.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2007, 10:44 am

well the boys are putting up some kind of fuss and mommas are off eating and appear to be thrilled to be away from the little monsters... Boy they sure are pretty though all stirred up. Wow that Levi is one heck of a colt all muscles and the prettiest liver chestnut once this is over Ill get some pics he is a beauty gonna make a great little cow horse gonna have a slide from here to Mexico LOL. Looks a lot like daddy.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2007, 4:00 pm

I am having to wean Roo cold turkey at 3 months old. She has pulled momma WAY down and no matter what I do, I can't get her weight up with that baby on her. She's older and the vet said her teeth are going "through" changes and that she has lost some teeth, so I have them in stalls next to each other where they can touch noses but that's it. Once she calms down I'll turn baby out a little while at a time in the pasture with everyone. I am so terrified she is going to try and go through a fence to get to momma.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2007, 9:06 pm

the boys are calm and chilling today no worries! only time they talk is when I go into the barn to check on them. Yeah glad that mess is over with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new weaning method seems to work   My new weaning method seems to work Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new weaning method seems to work
Page 1 of 1