Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weaning this month

Go down 
+2
Bluejay
Lynn M.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 2:22 pm

was going to wean today but according to the farmers almanac there are 2 days to wean this month and one is the 6th so we are waiting till then.... anyone else starting the process this month?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 10:01 pm

Well, Chad got weaned.. Kelsy is not old enough. doggie I never wean by the almanac.. I do not even read it. Should I scratch I just wean them when they are ready.. Maybe I am missing something or need to learn a thing or two... coffee study I hate weaning. So mean taking a baby from it's mother..

Being a Mother who lost her son to his creepy dad it goes way to deep for me.. I always get stressed and CRY Sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad No

I do it anyway. That is just how I feel.. icecream
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 12:29 am

well we always plant wean and castrate by the signs etc.. seems to work better we castrated a calf in the wrong sign and boy did that go bad now my hubby wont let me do anything that isn't by the signs. My tomatoes have never been better Smile and weaning is never much of a production around here of course these 2 are both already mostly weaned by their mommas already just a technicality now... the colt is 3.5 months and the filly is almost 3 months but she is the devil to her momma and a bit of a moose so weaning wont hurt her at all.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 7:37 pm

Lynn, if you're going by the almanac, the heart, leg, foot, arm or whatever that is... you DON'T do it at the heart time... Do the leg, the foot or whatever other extremity there is. My grandmother and grandfather always used to do that, in fact, the local feed store used to have a calendar with all the stuff on it, but you can't hardly get that anymore.

Truthfully, I used to do it, and now, I decide when and just do it. I find that weaning two together is much better than one alone - that's a big fiasco.

I do know the last time we gelded a colt, we must have hit it on the right day, that sucker didn't bleed not one drop... vet swears it was a good day. I didn't look, so I don't know.

I'll be weaning mine oh, about the middle of June, right when the kids get back from their church trip to Florida. I'm going to give Amber Red's colt to show, so she'll be helping me work the horses and such.

Tell ya a funny real quick - was doctoring Cool's filly - has a booboo, nothing serious, and I just take the lead rope off of Cool and she stays right there by the pen. Trent comes walking out, doesn't grab ahold of Cool when we come out with the baby, Amber's standing in the middle of the gate where Cool's heading to the other side of the barn... I holler, grab her halter... and I get this look, are you kidding me! Okay, lots of time we're going to spend on horses! But the colt's real quiet and so is Amber, but that filly... oweee, she's going to be like her Mom.

I'm going to break her in first with Scamp and Jazz, they're pretty laid back.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 9:10 pm

good thing you have some that are laid back will balance your little whirl wind you are about to get : lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 11:27 pm

WOW! It's that time already! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 11:32 pm

for those of us crazy people who bought horses that where in foal to have colts in feb and march geek that little paint stud colt is already basically weaned momma is sick and tired of him!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2007, 6:00 pm

Oh, I've had those hoodlums before, too. That's usually the ones that halter break out better than the rest of 'em... figures.

This colt on this black and white mare, I bet I've busted that sucker three times already, for coming by me and kicking out. He's about to figure that I'm going to kick back. He's a big strong, leggy, stout boned colt, the youngest, and he's just as big as the rest of 'em. Every time he sees me, he gets this twinkle in his eye... uh-huh, yeah, been there... he tried to do it this morning, got all off balance and fell down... I made sure he saw me laughing at him... HA! Danged colts!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2007, 9:37 am

I HATE IT! But I have to wean this month too. YUCK.. IM the nerveous wreck.

OK, so if we did wean by the signs, What are they this month? What day should we be weaning???? Me its a week end Im going to be home so I can keep an Eye on things.

LYNN, went out to eat this week end and there was a couple with a little girl what looked like to be from China, I went over to them and told them how cute she was and yes, she was fro china. She was a doll, Very busy. They had her since she was a year, She was 2 now and the chatter box! Very busy, and did not want shrimp. She wanted fries. I told them about you getting your little Ty. The were so surprised you got a boy.
I told them he was going to be a Roper like his Mom and Dad. riding
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2007, 1:29 pm

hey triple j we get Ty because he is "special" they don't want kids with "problems" because the surgery to fix his cleft lip and palate is so expensive in China most families can't afford just to give birth to a baby in China costs a family in medical expenses alone yrs of their income... so the babies would end up starving to death or never being able to have the surgery so they are left on curbs for the police and military to find..

anyways the days to wean in June are the 6th and 10th and in July the 3rd and 8th
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2007, 2:17 pm

Oh, I know, Just thought Id brag for you.. She just made me think of you and your husband. OF Corse, all they could do is Brag. Id didnt mention Tys health issue, That will be a thing of the past someday. We know he is special. He is yours. Oh I thougt of you the other day, I saw the day where they painted Ropes, Differant colors and used it as a boarder in a boys bedroom. It was really cute.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2007, 7:53 pm

that is so sweet Triple J I really appreciate it! my little guy has so many people who love him already he is such a lucky kid!!!!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2007, 1:22 pm

Okay, so the 10th... well, I might just go ahead and pull mine this weekend when Bluejay's here...get an extra hand in on the situation... less a week won't make any difference. I do my thing and then I get out of there... the rest is up to Rick and when they quit being hoodlums, fine, then I take over. I'm going to show the filly, I guess, this Fall, and Trent's girlfriend is going to show the colt...

Lynn, little Ty's going to have so many aunties it's not even funny! Your trainer has so got to get your stud qualified for the world so we can all come up and see little 'un!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2007, 1:39 pm

Lets see Shelia, looked up the tickets, Its our 10th Anv. So dont you think going to the world would be a great Anv. Trip that is going to be my pitch anyway..
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2007, 1:08 pm

so far so good it is a little noisy this morning but I was surprise that the paint colt is the most upset he was pretty much weaned these boys and their mommas.... I don't think they'll miss many meals after a few minutes they were grabbing bites of hay.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2007, 11:50 pm

Well, sounds so good so far, Lynn. Cool is the one that has a wall-eyed fit, not the babies. Heck Cool's filly is mostly around Red anyway, so I don't think that'll be any big deal... and that colt isn't fussy, but he can sure boot-scoot-boogy when he sees ya coming... he's getting a little curious now.

TripleJ's pulling hers tonight. I'll just probably wait till this weekend or whatever...I'm going to give those mares 2 days, and then I'm throwing them in the other pasture... they won't even be able to see the babies, and there's tons of grass over there, so I betcha I don't hear a peep out of those mamas.

Lynn, if ya think we ought to go ahead and pull Peppy Le Peux, that'll be all right. I can put her in the first slant and have him loose in the back, no biggy there. I'll get Rick to get a piece of plyboard and make it where he can't get to her... I don't know, I'll let you decide that.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2007, 12:00 am

I can pull him with his girlfriend I love you that will be around the first of July he is so in love with Allie it is sick all I can say is he has really good taste that filly is such a heart throb... he is still only 2 months old if you can believe it!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2007, 8:16 am

Gosh, I keep forgetting he's that young, he looks so much bigger, ya know. Sure, pull him with his girlfriend... hey, we can get Kelly to halter break 'em while we're there. You give her the good news... HA! Just joshing...
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2007, 10:53 am

poor Niki my one mare is like a jersey cow could nurse a couple foals in fact lets the paint colt at times as well as Tessa is so full standing parked out this AM looking so pitiful.... No but other than that no screaming everyone looks happy as can be eating and doing well...
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2007, 12:13 pm

Well, TJ is Weaned and he just doesn't know it yet. He can see his mom threw a crack in the wall, She is on the other side. Sunday, she will leave the stall next door and another mare will be in her place. He ate good last night. and was quite until the lights went off in the barn. Then he got upset some. To night he will be lightless. Ive never done this before on weaning, its yank Mom, but no one to wean him with so, Im trying this method. We'll see.

DID I MENTION, I HATE WEANING TIME...affraid
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2007, 3:34 pm

Is it that time already? Wow how time flies. Jake & Joey are just over 3 months now, but Dexter, Penny, and Oscar (named after Sesame Street's grouch) were all born later, so I might wait till I can do everyone at the same time. Last year I did it at the end of July.
Everyone around here thought I was crazy cause they don't wean till the end of August, but they also don't start foaling out till the very end of April at the earliest, whereas I try to plan all my babies for March.
Please note that I said try. You all know horses well enough to know that they make up their own minds about things like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weaning this month Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weaning this month   Weaning this month Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weaning this month
Page 1 of 1