Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need help from weaning experts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Need help from weaning experts Empty
PostSubject: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2007, 12:16 pm

Don't laugh, but we need help "weaning" our three horses from each other!! Things are ridiculous around here! Everyone is attached to the hip with each other. We started out with one several years ago. She was lonely, we bought her a goat, because we weren't reaady to get another horse. THat helped but a year later we got another horse and they became inseperable(both older mares). People said things would get better when we got another horse because two horses together are trouble. Fast forward another year and we now have a third (gelding). He rules the pasture and has become as bad as the other two!
None of them have troubles when taken out to be ridden even alone. thank goodness but the other two holler and carry on in the barn.
The gelding is going to fair by himself this year in mid-august and I'm already worried about getting him loaded. He has been going to shows with our Arab all year but he won't load unless she is already in the trailer. We tried to load him by himself the other day to go to a riding meet but finally gave up and let Classy tag along.
There are so many weaning experts on here and I feel like that is what I am doing. How do I break their attachment to each other? Nobody had attachment issues before they got here by the way to any great degree.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2007, 1:34 pm

doesn't it just suck! I have 2 broodmares I can't seperate they are horrible and get worse with age. Sorry Im no help.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2007, 10:17 pm

I don't know what to tell you either... I'm going to have a time with Jazz and Scamp as soon as I'm showing one or another in the class. Red, my broodmare, is horrible -- she has this real low throaty hoo/hoo thingy going on every time we move Cool from one place to another. As soon as you let one out, the other one starts hollering. Kid's the only one that keeps his mouth shut - thank the Lord!

But then again, he'd buddy up with somebody or find some nice looking girl either across the alley-way or something or another at a show, and Lordy help if they pulled her out of that stall... let's put it this way, you best not have your ear close to his stall... jeesh!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2007, 10:35 pm

Well, horses are herd animals and you have already separated them. So, with that said they are controling you. I never let a horse win a battle. If I am out there all night I will win. They are not stupid and will try you. You must make them do as you ask I personally would not involve another horse when I am asking one to do something. Sounds like they might be in control scratch

I am not mean. I am only saying this because when you let them win it is always a problem. I would practice with out the other horse and use the praise method to get compliance. Just practice loading and unloading individules. They are always fine once you are off and doing your thing. Mine all winnie when I pull back in and tell everyone about it as they walk in the barn.. LOL.. You know EXACTLY what they are saying.. LOL.. cheering Everyone is so happy to see each other. Me too.. doggie riding
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 8:24 am

Bluejay, boy, that sure brings back memories when I was showing Kid. As soon as we'd hit the driveway, he knew where we were and start that screaming. He'd come out of that trailer, head sky high in the air, screaming at the top of his lungs... I'M BACK, I'M BACK!

Course if Rick had been driving on the way back, he'd be PO'd as all get out - never failed!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 11:17 am

The only thing about the loading is we load in front of the barn so while I'm loading Pistol the girls are in there hollering and he won't concentrate. I guess we could move the trailer farther from the barn when we load and see if that helps. Of course we are usually in a hurry to get somewhere and that's why I give in and take the easy route!
Yesterday Classy went out by herself for an hour then I let out Pistol for the rest of the day with her and Betsy stayed in the barn all day and paced and hollered with the goat! The other two were fine while together. I turned on the radio loud in the barn to muffle some of Betsy's hollering and they didn't call back very much.
Today Pistol is out by himself and not happy at all. The girls are inside eating hay and not hollering too much. If Pistol settles down later, I plan on letting Betsy out and letting Classy cool her heels inside all day.
I'm just trying to let them relaize that it is possible to live your life by yourself occasionally. I just hope I am not intensifying their attachment to each other.

I just don't know how long to expect it to take beforethey settle down and grow up! We have a close set-up here. The small pasture, barn, dry lot, and riding ring are all attached to each other and every horse can view the others anywhere except when I shut the dutch doors at the back of the barn then they can't hang in the barn and look at the other horses!. Betsy and Classy have stalls next to each other and Pistol has a stall across the big aisleway but he spends a fair amount of time with his head over the door keeping an eye on his girls.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2007, 11:21 am

This is why we call them our kids and talk to them like they are people. I would just practice. ily And move your loading area away if you can..

Once you load and unload them they will not know when it is really time to go.. Gotta trick them I guess.. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help from weaning experts   Need help from weaning experts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help from weaning experts
Page 1 of 1