Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Grad Trip

Go down 
+5
Lynn M.
7cedars
REINING CHICK
stockman
Kim
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kim

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2007-02-07

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 5:58 pm

Our grad trip is soo Cuba ... only a representive will got with the place we are booking for so basically we are all on our own, but you basically never leave the resort because of the crime in cuba ahha ... but the parents aren't to keen on letting me go ... dad says because I'll only be 17 ahah ... and I totally understand ... but this is my grad trip ... how can I convince them ... any suggestions ahah Very Happy Very Happy ... I'm sure I can eventually but am I being to unreasonable wanting them to let me go ?? ... I'll be with friends ... I'm responsible ... ahah
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-02-08

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 6:25 pm

Who in the world takes a grad trip to Cuba! I would be a little concerned as well if I were your parents. I thought travel to Cuba was restricted since it is a Communist country with little sympathy towards Americans. Perhaps if it were anywhere but there you might have more luck. However after what happened to that girl in Aruba I would think twice about letting my daughter go on a school trip with little supervision. But I'm an old fogey who worries too much!
Back to top Go down
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 6:37 pm

I'm in Canada tho .... I'm just not going to mexico with the increase in killings of Cdns lately .. .and we're on a resort so you dont leave it by yourself
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:44 pm

no freaking way would i let my child go to cuba. no if ands or buts. find another place to go. like HAWAII!sunny
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:54 pm

Well, Trent's the same age as you, and there would be absolutely no way I'd let him go to Cuba. Hawaii is good, what about say some beach town in the states?

I know you probably don't understand this now, but you will, when you have little hoodlums running around ya. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:24 pm

ahhaha ..... we can go to quebec too but eww ... I can go there whenever I want ahah ... I wanna go to Cuba Razz
Back to top Go down
B3

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:54 pm

Sorry to sound like an "old fogey" myself, but I can promise you that there is NO WAY IN HECK I'd let my 17YO daughter go to Cuba. WAYYY too much can happen...like someone already said, look at what happened to the girl in Aruba, and the crime rate there is next to nothing. Statistics don't matter when you become one. (Hope that made sense.)

Resort or not, I'm still not keen on the idea. I think your parents are wise to be hesitant to let you go.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:59 pm

sorry I wouldn't let you go either we had several students killed from a school here in KS on a trip in south america I think costa rica nothing crazy just out swimming in the ocean caught in a rip tide a teacher was killed too trying to save them poor judgement from all it was posted as dangerous tides and they went swimming anyways you just never know.. peer pressure strange places... my nephew went on a cruise with friends for his graduation how about something like that??? he loved it!
Back to top Go down
Stacey

Stacey

Number of posts : 10

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 11:04 pm

I don't understand what the draw is in Cuba? Are they marketing a great getaway package for recent HS grads at particular resorts there? Such as Hawaii and Mexico?

I just have never heard about Cuba being a grad trip get-away for teenagers. Now, I'm going to google it, and see if I can learn more. I'm wondering is the drinking age 18 there? That was the number one reason I went to Hawaii for my grad trip, lol Smile That was so long ago - now the legal age is 21 and has been for many years!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/imjagger
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 11:23 pm

SizzlinSilk wrote:
I don't understand what the draw is in Cuba? Are they marketing a great getaway package for recent HS grads at particular resorts there? Such as Hawaii and Mexico?

I just have never heard about Cuba being a grad trip get-away for teenagers. Now, I'm going to google it, and see if I can learn more. I'm wondering is the drinking age 18 there? That was the number one reason I went to Hawaii for my grad trip, lol Smile That was so long ago - now the legal age is 21 and has been for many years!

ya its a package deal thing for grads
Back to top Go down
jools

Number of posts : 168

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 5:10 am

Hey Kim No As ever I am WAY off & out of the loop from here Suspect but 2 questions Question ....
1. What is a GRAD trip Question confused I thought it was a typo for GRAND cyclops
2. Reading what the guys are saying about the proposed pale destination WHY OH WHY are you putting yourself at HIGH risk affraid I don't know the first thing about the destination albino but I trust the guys & their response doesn't appear What a Face much different than had you said a trip to IRAQ pale affraid
Back to top Go down
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 8:17 am

jools wrote:
Hey Kim No As ever I am WAY off & out of the loop from here Suspect but 2 questions Question ....
1. What is a GRAD trip Question confused I thought it was a typo for GRAND cyclops
2. Reading what the guys are saying about the proposed pale destination WHY OH WHY are you putting yourself at HIGH risk affraid I don't know the first thing about the destination albino but I trust the guys & their response doesn't appear What a Face much different than had you said a trip to IRAQ pale affraid
'

1. Graduation Trip
2. Because there mothers Very Happy Very Happy some of them ... They're probably a lot like my mom ahha ... It's not that bad ... and I guess in Canada we don't worry that much about that sort of thing ... I'd probably have just as likely or more likely to have something happen to me in the States, its just Cuba isn't as strong of a society as the States so they are poorer and communist which makes killings/crime there or in any other country more of a big deal when someone is killed ...
The only place I refuse to go is Mexico right now .. far to many Canadians have been killed there as of late
Back to top Go down
7cedars

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 8:46 am

That was on the news about those kids and the teacher being killed from Kansas... I remember that!

Kim, think of it this way. What and how do you think your parents would feel if something happened to you, that they had said you could go, and then something happened. Much less, something happen to a bunch of you. Can you imagine how those parents would feel that they said okay, let their child go, and then something happened to them? Trust me, that's something a parent would never get over - at least I couldn't.

And if my boys think they're going to do something like that, well, I've got news for 'em! HA! If they want a grad trip, fine; then Rick can either take them elk hunting in Colorado or we can plan the trip that we're planning on going to England, etc. Otherwise, they ain't going!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 10:36 am

I did google travel in Cuba and was surprised at what I found. Americans must have a way different view of Cuba than the rest of the world, especially Canada. Jools was right, we liken it to vacationing in Iraq, but others see differently. Most visitors do come from Canada. It looks like an interesting place, but , still, there are way better places to visit and I'm still uneasy with the whole grad trip idea. Schools around here don't do that, so we are lucky. We just bought my oldest daughter a laptop and she was happy!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 11:26 am

Even if Cuba is a tourist destination for other countries, it is still extremely unpredictable simply because it is a communist country. Things there can happen over night because, unlike the US, their government is controlled by a single person. The people who are devoted to the government are extremely dedicated to their economy. Even though you will be staying in a resort, you have to understand that the resort will be employed by Cuban workers. I'm not trying to seem like you're mom, I'll only be 18 next month, but knowing the economic state of Cuba, I would never let my hypothetical daughter go there, Cuba tends to be like a volcano waiting to explode. Even in peaceful times there, you can see the violence there reported daily on CNN. I would just personally worry for your safety. Someone made a comment on how we could compare Iraq with going to Cuba, lol, it's a great point. Iraq at one time was a HUGE attraction to US citizens because you can purchase gold, gemstones, designer clothes, etc. But, you don't see many Americans over there anymore, unless they're soldiers or news reporters. Just my take, and I'm not one of the ones with kids either, I'm close to age to you, and I personally, even with the permission of my parents, would not go to Cuba. Whatever your parents decide, I'm sure they will have your safety in mind. And whatever YOU do, I hope you stay safe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 1:25 pm

Um ... I'm probably not going anyways ... but my mom told me its because the leader who is a dictator is really old ... and even though he loves Canadians (which is why we probably like it so much) ... the country would be mayham if he ever died ... and since he is old he could easily die well we're there and then we could be stuck because they would have no leader ...

but she's willing to take me somewhere with my dad I'm pretty sure ... if my dad agrees ... so I'm gunna see if MissLKcee can do something ahah and maybe our families can go somewhere together over the march break or christmas or something ... which would be fun too ... its a maybe though ahah
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 2:05 pm

If you're looking for another beach-type place, I'd strongly recommend Grand Cayman, BWI. It's British and absolutely beautiful...my family's gone every year for 8 years...so pictureqsue!
Back to top Go down
Stacey

Stacey

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2007, 11:36 am

I found tons of good info about "Travel Cuba" on Google. This is strictly regarding Americans traveling there, but does mention Canadians as well. I found this to be very enlightning. Very Happy

My Grad Trip Welcome1
Welcome to USA CUBA TRAVEL!

If you are an American who is planning a trip to Cuba, you've just found the right travel agency.
USA CUBA TRAVEL will help you travel to Cuba!
More than 100,000 Americans visited Cuba last year. Cuba is among the world's fastest growing travel destinations.
Its beaches are the best in the Caribbean, its culture is unique in Latin America, and its history is fascinating. All this, and an exceptionally warm welcome from the Cuban people, make the island so attractive to millions of tourists from around the world.

Canada offers you the easiest and safest way to reach Cuba!

Canadians were the first to reopen the Cuban tourist industry in the early 1970s. Canada has a strong tradition of promoting tourism in Cuba. We would like to share our experience with you.
As travel agents specializing in Cuba, we sell all products available from the Canadian and Cuban tourist industries.
The quality of Cuba's tourist infrastructures has improved a great deal over the last 30 years. For example, you don't fly in old Russian planes anymore. Modern Boeing, Lockheed and Airbus planes will bring you to Cuba. These airplanes are operated by recognized international air carriers. You will also be surprised to see many Mercedes-Benz tourist buses on Cuba's highways.

Today, Cuba also offers a wide variety of hotels, from cheap government-owned facilities to 5-star world-class resorts operated by the best European chains. During your stay in Cuba, you will enjoy, at your convenience, local dishes or some of the world's finest cuisine. Most hotels in Cuba now hire foreign chefs from Canada, France and Italy to ensure that the food they serve will delight the 1.5 million tourists visiting the island.
USA CUBA TRAVEL stands out for its personalized service. We specialize in providing custom-designed travel itineraries. If you are looking to really discover Cuba, USA CUBA TRAVEL is your best option. With us you will experience what's exotic about Cuba and still travel worry free.

We provide more than just tickets; we share personal travel experiences and discoveries. Your dream trip to Cuba will become a reality with us, a voyage featuring music, dance, old cars, historic cities, wonderful scenery and most of all close contact with the Cuban people.
While preparing for your trip, you can benefit from our 10 years of travel experience in Cuba. Furthermore, during your stay in Cuba, you will be able to take advantage of the combined resources of our agency and reputable Cuban tour providers.
As you are well aware, restrictions still apply for Americans traveling to Cuba. We invite you to get appropriate counseling on the matter.

Note the last sentence ^^^ ".....restrictions still apply for Americans traveling to Cuba. We invite you to get appropriate counseling on the matter."
Wow, I suppose I should review the history books on this one! LOL
Back to top Go down
7cedars

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2007, 11:53 am

Wow... after you read that last paragraph, everything before is well just kind of what the heck do you go for. Me, personally, I'm not spending money to help a tyrant - kind of like going to Venzuela... don't think so!

If a country isn't an ally with the U.S., I would be scared to death to go - that's just asking for trouble.

Course a long time ago, Cuba was the place for Americans to sun at... that is, till Castro came along.
Back to top Go down
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2007, 12:54 pm

7cedars wrote:
Wow... after you read that last paragraph, everything before is well just kind of what the heck do you go for. Me, personally, I'm not spending money to help a tyrant - kind of like going to Venzuela... don't think so!

If a country isn't an ally with the U.S., I would be scared to death to go - that's just asking for trouble.

Course a long time ago, Cuba was the place for Americans to sun at... that is, till Castro came along.

I think its mostly because American gov't was trying to control Cuba at one point and every since Castro has come into power the Americans (gov't)wanted him out because they liked the old leader better, I guess because he was an ally or something to the US. Then Castro came in and wasn't so much or something .... but Castro loves Cdns ahaha

and now once Castro dies Miami (maybe all of Florida, not sure) has this idea that they are going to run Cuba which people don't like very much, and the US gov't I believe isn't supporting what Miami wasn't to do or something like that .. and I believe at one point the US has some thing about Cubans coming to America or something like that ... once Castro dies however its believe that American tourism should increase which means the rates will increase and it will become more expensive to travel to Cuba ... something like that hahaha

No one thinks mayham will break out is Castro simply dies, well most people do, however if the US decides to invade Cuba and take over, that's when the problems will start ... that's what I've read ahah

its a big confusing issue ahah ... and if I have a 2 year old next year I'll probably rather spend my march break being able to ride it then going away ahaha ... that's an if
Back to top Go down
Stacey

Stacey

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2007, 7:19 pm

lol, I really don't know anything about Cuba except that many, many of their people swim/sail to Miami to escape "their" Country. confused

Funny thing is, the same with Mexico. We can't stop them from running across the border. BUT, that doesn't stop me from vacationing there. So I guess it's a double-edged sword. LOL scratch
Back to top Go down
Kim

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2007, 12:05 am

ahah im more afraid to go to mexico then cuba because of all the canadian murders in mexico and the fact that the president there or w/e he is called is saying that its canadians who killed each other ... well first of all ... Canadians aren't really prone to killing each other, some people hurting each other, but intentionally killing each other not soo much ... let alone going into another country for vaction and killing each other ... blows my mind how that guy can even say that ... but w.e. .... I get mexico is almost to canadians what cuba is to americans ... americans aren't as welcome in Cuba and I guess cdns aren't as welcome in mexico
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Grad Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Grad Trip   My Grad Trip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Grad Trip
Page 1 of 1