Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Glow Sticks

Go down 
+3
Lynn M.
Ragdoll
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-04-23

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 3:14 pm

I took my gelding for his first outing and all went well. He did manage to go through the electric fence one night as he is not completely trained (yes that is my fault due to time constraints and a bad outlet). affraid

Luckily I came up with the idea of putting glow sticks on both horse's so we could check them throughout the night. If it was not for the glow stick we would not have been able to tell that he was out. The next night he also had one on the rear of his sheet so if he turned I would be able to see both ends. So from now on out when we are on a trip the horse's will have .88 cent glow sticks from Wal-mart on them for peace of mind. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Pictures from the trip   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 3:39 pm

OOPS forgot the pictures---

https://i.servimg.com/u/f16/11/23/93/25/img_1410.jpg
Rowdy and I-- I will be eating better to lose weight after this picture!pig

https://i.servimg.com/u/f16/11/23/93/25/img_1411.jpg
View off the trail. Shocked

https://i.servimg.com/u/f16/11/23/93/25/img_1412.jpg
My mom and Quest (Appaloosa Mustang) down one of the trails.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f16/11/23/93/25/img_1413.jpg
Mom and Quest
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 6:01 pm

How long do they last? My grandkids play with them all the time, and they fade in a short time. Is there a different king that I don't know about?

I'm going to invest in a night-vision scope.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2007, 9:55 pm

sounds like a great trip!!!!! and what a great idea I know you can get some battery operated ones but I don't know if the horses would tolerate it...
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 12:24 am

I just used the cheap .88 cent Wal-mart ones in the kids section. These had the little clip at the top with a hole too. We used a twisty tie to keep them on the buckles of the front of the blanket. That way the horse cannot bite them and when they lay down it is not in there way so they do not break it. Rowdy's sheet has a string to keep the butt pieces together so I clipped it on that but his other doesn't so I am going to sew on a loop for the sticks. He was not able to lay on it so it stayed in one spot. I did not want to use something expensive as I know how Rowdy can be. These one's glowed all night and I used the night before's for the butt piece which had enough glow to be seen from at least 100ft away. They only had two colors when we were there and that was blue and pink. The blue color shows up much better than the pink. I am going to get other colors and test them at my parents in the fog.

We don't go on trips enough to justify the night scope. Plus Rowdy only goes far enough to eat! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 10:57 am

I want the night-vision scope to watch what's going on in the pasture. I'd like to see what the horses are doing....I also want to be able to see dogs, coyotes, and stray cows.....even people.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 12:07 pm

too bad gas is so expensive I think it would be soo much fun to get everyone together for a long weekend of trail riding in some place like Colorado or South Dakota....
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 12:54 pm

What a great idea about the glow sticks!!! I never would have thought of that! looks like the trail ride was fun.
I saw big packs of those glow sticks at Target and picked them up the other day for cheap. I had no idea you could buy them in stores. My kids are always clamoring to get them at festivals and stuff when people walk around selling them three for five dollars. Next time I'll just bring my own and save a bundle!!
Lynn, I would so be up for a trail ride somewhere cool, but you are right, it would cost a zillion dollars to get there!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2007, 1:06 pm

Those pictures are soooooooo pretty! I am jealous! I miss the mountains. It's flat here..... oh well!
I love the idea of the glow sticks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 1:02 am

I love living in Oregon as I am right next to the beach and we also have beautiful mountains. On this trip I was in Eastern Oregon and they have some great spots for horses.

The glow stick thing was very handy and cheap. It was nice being able to look out the window and see both horses. I am a very paranoid mom when it comes to my horses. The first night Rowdy was tied up but I slept in the back of the truck about 20 feet away. lol! I will probably do that for the first night of each trip here on out.

The night vision would be good for foaling as our mares stay out in the pasture.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2007, 11:40 am

I can just imagine telling Wade that I am getting a night vision scope so that I can watch the horses at night. Not sure he'll go for it, but I'm gonna try. Right now I use a hand held spotlight. We buy those glow sticks for the kids all the time. Never thought of putting them on the horses. We're going on a ride in July. Gonna try that.
We should plan a ride a couple years from now so we can all save up for fuel. LOL. That would be a blast. But didn't Sheila say she likes to keep her feet on the ground? We could always use a bartender. South Dakota looks like a beautiful place to ride.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2007, 3:07 pm

I have land in Colorado that backs up to a national forest.. but I can probably get a friend in South Dakota to let us camp... we can also get Sheila a baby sitter Smile... or maybe bring the halflinger and just hitch up!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Glow Sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow Sticks   Glow Sticks Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2007, 1:30 pm

Love the pics, Dont you believe in feeding your horses! icecream

Love the Glow sticks Idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Glow Sticks Empty