Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...

Go down 
+5
Bluejay
stockman
GreySorrel
7cedars
Sip of Rum
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Empty
PostSubject: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2007, 1:15 pm

I haven't looked at him myself but my sister came in when i was in the shower and yelled through the door to post these pics on here and that the cam was on the table, so that's all i know..

Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Sd600056
Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Sd600058
Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Sd600059

Thanks for any help guys!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2007, 1:59 pm

Call the vet! Could be a tumor, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2007, 2:40 pm

Ok we called the vet, they are closed for easter but you can leave a msg if you think it is an emergency or w/e. My sister called and left a msg describing you but yah..we'll see i guess.
Back to top Go down
B3

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2007, 2:51 pm

Is it right beside his sheath? Do you guys have any bugs out - maybe he could have been bitten or stung? Might be an abscess...? How long has it been that way, or when was the last time you noticed it not being there? That's a bit scary...please let us know what the vet says.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2007, 3:13 pm

We do not have bugs right now, its about 25 degrees out. It's my sisters horse and last I know I don't think it was there last weekend. We're waiting for the vet to call but who knows how long that will take. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GreySorrel

GreySorrel

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2007, 10:50 pm

Better late than never...but..can you hose it down with cold water if he will stand for it or put a cold ice pack wrapped with a towel on his sheath if he will permit you to help with the swelling? Maybe also, a tab or two of bute to help with the swelling? Does it cause him pain upon urination? Have you seen him urinate at all? And this is out there..but..could he have tried to mount one of the mares, if you have any, and got kicked or even, got kicked while out in the pasture and everyone was out?

As everyone else said, I would get my vet out on an emergency call. I am one of those owners that I would rather be safe than sorry. If they don't call you back, call them again. I know my vet says to give her at least 15 minutes to get the msg, find a place that has decent reception and time to call.

Good luck and let us know please what is going on. Hope he is doing okay.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2007, 2:21 am

Ok umm i don't think we can do the water thing since its like 15 degrees out now, but we might be able to do the ice pack. I have not seen him urinate and my sister said that he is standing weird. I have been gone all night so i didn't get to go check on him, but he seemed to be walking normal when i went outside.

Also, we have no mares, just one other horse, of which is a gelding.

O and the vet called back, they said that they don't know what it is and they aren't to worried about it i guess, umm they said if its not better to call on Monday and they would come out, or we could bring him there.
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2007, 8:48 am

Have you taken his temperature? Is the swelling hot? Does it appear to be fillled with fluid or can you feel a hard lump inside? Is it tender to touch? I'm sure the vet asked you all these questions. I think Grey Sorrel is right that bute might help with the swelling.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2007, 11:54 am

Great suggestions from everyone on here.. cheers And, I would have the vet check it out. You said it was beside the shieth? When was the last time you cleaned his shieth? Tempature and soft or hard will tell you alot too.. I know sometimes when the shieth is dirty it will look like that.. But, it is on the end of the shieth not outside of it.. Kinda like when you geld them and they swell up there.. scratch study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2007, 12:02 pm

I am pretty sure she hasn't taken his teperature. She went out and felt it before she called the vet, she said that it was like squishy but a hard lump in the middle??
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2007, 12:19 pm

If a horse has a temp they usually act different. Not eating, sluggish and just not them selves.. I hope it is just a good shieth cleaning. Those boys get dirty down there.. clown cyclops

Tommy rolls in the arena and gets sawdust up in his.. I think he does it on purpose because he loves to be washed.. lol! lol! DORK
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2007, 2:34 pm

ok, so my sister is on the phone now and they will not come out here until May 7th. affraid It is getting worse, the other side is getting swollen too, i think i'm going to have her call another vet. Sad They are cleaning their sheaths when they come out.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2007, 2:44 pm

MAY 7th, Oh my gosh. You could get some Ace, if shots are a problem you can shoot it in the mouth with out the needle and clean sheaths yourself. WEAR GLOVES! Whew the stink! No
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2007, 3:27 pm

Call a different vet! Shocked
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2007, 4:01 pm

Good Lord, May 7th? Is there any way you can haul him in to a different vet? Not the same one.

Jiminey Christmas... I know I'm going to have to haul my danged mares in to be ultrasounded - irksome... guess stupid cows are more important! ARGH!
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2007, 4:33 pm

Yah we are calling another vet. I told my sister she has to, she can't wait that long. We found one that is closer to than the other one but not as good. Actually we found 2. We are asking a trainer at school who has used them which is better tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2007, 5:23 pm

Ok we called another vet, he said sounds like he's fine, if it's not bothering him we'll just leave it. If it gets worse just call back. Sounds like its just brusing up. (she did tell him it has gotten worse) SOO I guess we're just waiting. he doesn't really seem to be in pain though, like he does urinate, I had him walk, he was walking fine, and he was at the gate today pushing on it to come out. So yah idk but the other side is getting swollen too.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2007, 8:09 pm

Ok so the trainer/instructor said that she thinks it is a hernia, or looks like one. She gave us numbers to like 2 different vets and we called the "better" one and he can't come until the end of next week. my sister is calling another one later, since she thinks she has the wrong number. I'll update you if the vet come soon, cross your fingers! If it is a hernia it could get bad!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2007, 10:11 pm

Unreal that a vet won't come out! Evil or Very Mad

It's hard to tell just by a pic. My first guess would be a good sheath cleaning due to all the mud on him.

Have you felt it? Is is a hard lump, a soft lump, is it hot, or does it move under the surface of the skin?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2007, 10:46 pm

Last time i touched it it was soft, my sister said it's getting harder? We were THIS close to having a vet out here tonight but we had somewhere very important to go and he couldn't come out. He's comming next week. :S
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:26 am

Let us know what ends up going on with this little guy. Funkiest thing I've ever seen, though.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 9:36 am

IF its getting firm, is the swelling going down?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:32 am

I was out looking at property the other day and one place we went they had just gelded a 3 yr old.. His shieth was swollen as big as a foot ball. I bet the poor guy could not even pee.. He was standing in a round pen full of water and eating hay that looked like it was straw. Sad

The realtor and I were so PO'd about it. We asked what the vet said about it and they said it was fine. The vet never saw it.. I bet that horse has not been walked once since he was gelded or had any cool water on him. I have never seen anything like it.. I was pretty upset when we left. Some people should not be allowed to have animals period. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 9:11 pm

O wow, that is horrible! I can't believe some people think that is ok!

I'll let you all know what happens!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 9:18 pm

I felt so bad for him I wanted to do something for him.. I could never be a vet.. I really would be surprised it the poor guy could even pee.. OMG. I just cannot stand that stuff.... i have never seen anything like it.. Flys on him too.. OMG.. Poor baby.. Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...   Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help ASAP, something's wrong with my sisters horse...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next