Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Empty
PostSubject: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:33 pm

New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) HPIM1066

New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) HPIM1034

So what do you think? We decided to call our new boy "Copper" and he's adjusted really well! He's got some manner issues, but he's really done well. When we went and picked him up, he had to be tranqulized to get in the trailer, but now I've got him loading and unloading super good. He had never been tied before and he's tying really well! He had also not ever been clipped before, and I got his ears clipped yesterday! He has a super good personality, but I have one problem someone might be able to give me advice on. His previous owners gave him treats by hand, and this escalated into a bad biting problem. Anyone have any advice on curing a bad biter? I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:38 pm

I think he is super cute.. I *LOVE* that blue eye!

As for biting, I've often just made sure they get a pop in the chin if they nip and a loud "QUIT!". And I NEVER feed them by hand of course. I have some brood mares who I can feed by hand, but I dont even mess with my stud/stud colts and feeding them by hand... Its always out of a bucket.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2008, 10:02 am

FYI Whacking/hitting/Popping them on the head can cause Them to be head shy. Me on studs, With SEVERAL years of experience, OUCH!
Dont go after the head. Evil or Very Mad
One, you will be asked to show the teeth when showing.
Two, you dont want them jerking when trying to show them,
Three, you do want to be able to get a halter on them.

Me, if I have a crop, I go for the shoulder or legs. When a colt is in training to become a stallion, I keep a whip outside the stall.
Or, I have go so far as to get a pair of leather gloves, Put tacks threw the leather glove and wear it around them, just let them try to bite it they soon get the Idea, hands hurt when you try and bite them. Its natural for a stallion to bite, your asking them to go against nature, I think the yearling year is the worse.. They are learning all about manhood and what a women can do for their Manhood! affraid Hee Hee

He's cute by the way, needs a few more pounds for halter. But in good condition. Keep him out of the sun. So we finally see his white! I like a paint with very little white. Shows more defination. Congrats on your new boy! Cute Dancing
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2008, 10:26 am

Thanks TJ, I agree about the yearling year, jeeze... But so much of his problem is from the darn treat thing, I've never had one this bad, ever. I just want to put a halt on this before it gets dangerous, because right now, you go to halter him and the first thing he tries to do is bite. Doesn't scare me, but I can totally immagine him trying to bite a judge....... lol.

Thanks again though, I like him a lot, and I figured when I bought him that he needed about 40 extra pounds, and to be FIT. His topline looks kind of sagging in the pics because of the angles my mom took them, with his head up SUPER high, but he actually has a really nice topline. We're turning him out to exercize and working him late in the evenings, we've upped his feed, and he's kept in a stall w/ no sun. I am glad we have more of a mare motel type barn than something totally enclosed. He hardly ever got out at the other place, and he never saw anything but the barn isle, so EVERYTHING is so new to him lol. He is learning quick though and already has the halter routine down *except the biting thing*

TJ, what about his neck, how much you think needs to come off?
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2008, 10:31 am

Very nice,i like his neck,well all of him actuall cheers
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2008, 9:53 pm

scratch Sorry I just skimmed again.. I cannot imagine tranking a horse to load it.... I just went through that with a yearling.. SHAME ON ME. that had not been loaded and did not trust. We got her loaded and she traveled just like a champ.. Good thing since she will travel from here to Mexico. And they said that was 20 hours after they left TX...

I do confess I loaded her partner and she flew in the trailer and had a wonderful experience.. I just feel all these things have to be a good experience in the beginning or they are a life time of trouble.. Nothing worse then a horse that will not tie... Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Have fun since he is big enough to cause harm.. Be gentle and encourage him to do what you want him to do. I find that workd better then any bossing around. Just a pian in the Bum as shazgeoff would say.. ily
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2008, 10:41 pm

I know, it's horrible! Unfortunately, this is the kind of horse that didn't know what the "outside" world was. The trailer was just terrifying him, and I figured he would be like that, that is why I made NO PLANS besides picking him up, unfortunately the owners did have time restraints, and it was just what they did. I am so proud of him though, I want to take a video tomorrow and show everyone just how awesome he loads. I can't believe the leaps and bounds of progress he has made since he got here, he ties, got his feet done for the first time today! I was super patient with him and yesterday, he just decided to walk it, he's been doing it ever since. He is also leading better (he was really pushy) and not biting so much when I'm leading him...

Thing is Bluejay, he's not trying to hurt anyone, he was scared... It definetly was not his fault and a little patience has come a long ways with him already, can't wait to see how far he has to go. Not all horses get started perfect, and if there weren't people who were willing to help them through their issues, there would be a world full of unwanted horses, worse than it is now. I'm super happy with him, I know he will win here and he has the potential to go very far with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)   New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Horse Update! (More Pics! LOL)
Page 1 of 1