Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pep's back home

Go down 
+2
Triple J Quarter Horses
reiningfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 12:48 pm

I went with a friend last Friday and went and picked Pep back up. The trainer figures he'll be going back after my mares are bred, but I don't know about that. Although he is fat and slick, when I looked into the round bale feeder they had in their outdoor arena, where Pep was staying, there was no hay. At all. And hadn't been since the day before at least, as we'd had a snow storm and there was a good layer of fresh snow in the feeder. There also were no tracks from the house yard to the barn yard. So nobody had even been to check on him. The trainer has been trucking to supplement his income and his wife is supposed to be looking after the horses, but doesn't look like that has been happening. It looks like if Pep runs out of his round bale while the trainer is gone, he goes without. What would it take for her to get her kids to put a forkfull of hay in for him?
I'm seriously pissed off. Wade figures that if he looks good otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm gonna be fighting for this one.

In other news regarding Pep, I was watering him Saturday morning, when Gun, our other stud, came over the gate and came at Pep. I ended up kicked in the chest and gut by Gun and spent the day in the hospital. They wanted to keep me longer, but I had a mentally disabled lady in my room and she drove me crazy. I wanted to be home where I could at least sleep in peace. I can't lift anything, so Brennen and Wade's dad did chores until Wade got home. Now he helps water and feed. Right now he's fixing the gate Gun wrecked. I was real lucky that I got the tail end of the kick. No broken ribs, just massive bruising and swelling. My insides still hurt, but the drugs they gave me are wonderful.
Brennen has a clinic on Sunday, so I'll have to get Wade to help load all the tack, as Brennen is at my Mom's till Sunday morning. It's spring break here. And luckily some of the other 4-H parents have offered to help me out at the clinic. Brennen can't tack up on his own as his saddle is too heavy and Sandy is that bit too tall. Anyway, I'm starting to feel a heck of a lot better, soon maybe I can ride again.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 2:28 pm

Speaking of 4-H. Me too! Tuesday night.. We get roped into these things HOW??? Hee Hee.. Love helping them. Hope everything gets back on track and turns out well.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 3:44 pm

Glad to hear Pep is home... but OUCH! that would hurt a LOT! Glad to hear though it was minor injuries... but wowee! LOL i am so glad my stud is used to having studs around him, and likewise to my stud colts....

did gun get a little tuning for his bad behaviour? I sure wouldnt be a happy camper with him.

I hope everything heals very quickly, and you and Brennen have a great time at the clinic!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2008, 2:08 pm

Gun should be used to other studs around. We have ungelded colts here, plus he lived with Pep til last year, but Pep was the head honcho. With Pep gone for 9 months and having mares in heat, I suppose Gun figured he'd try to let Pep know who's boss. Gun may be taller, but Pep is in super shape.
We made a list on Friday night of all our horses and did some major decision making. We are cutting down to 1 stud. We don't need 2 of them with the number of mares we have. Since I do all the handling and breeding, Wade let me choose which one we keep. So Pep it is.
5 yearlings and a few 2 year olds are heading to a production sale, and I already have a package to put the foals in a sale this September. So maybe next winter I'll have less chores to do.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2008, 9:11 pm

I hope you are OK.. If your stud is in good shape it may be that he was not fed the day you were coming after him.. scratch Otherwise, it would show if he had been without. Still worth mentioning though.

I know people who have more then one stud and have done this for as many as 50 years. They never let them near each other and keep them in tight areas.. The two I am thinking about got hurt really bad when the studs got near each other and will never be the same.. Studs should NEVER be anywhere near each other or have access to get at each other.. They can be deadly if they do. And the human who is in the cross fire can be killed. This may also tell you a bit about the personality they have. I have a very nice stallion who does not care about others.. I would never let him near or have a way to get to another one though. They are stallions and all the stories you hear about them are true.. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2008, 9:23 am

Lord, Reiningchick, I swear, girl, if it's not one thing, it's another...you be careful up there! I'm glad to hear, though, that you're thinning things out!

I totally agree with Bluejay on this, criminey sakes, we had a stud get in with Rocky, my old paint stud, and Rick went in there with a whip and beating the living snot out of the other stud, it not even phasing him, and me trying to grab ahold of Rocky - GAWD, I don't know who was shaking more, me or Rocky when we got him out of there - I've never seen such viciousness as that mess....next day, that other stud left!!! Either that, or I told Rick to shoot him between the eyes!

Even with Kid, if he gets PO'd at the danged geldings, he'll get this look in his eye - something Rick almost found out the hard way, you don't mess with them when they're like that - they see or feel nothing, they just want blood. Already Kid's thinking Scamp is a starting to be a threat... one reason why Kid's for sale...I know how Kid can get, even with Trent's old roping gelding, and it took me beating him with a gosh-danged chain to get him back to reality...

My friend up in Missouri have studs side-by-side, all eight of them, at least that many, and Lordy when they start that yeyawing, she goes through the barn just a swinging...course I've also seen her make a stud literally sit on his haunches trying to cover his business... I've always told her, I don't know whether to be proud of her or call her a blooming idiot!!!!

Truthfully, I'm seriously thinking about gelding Kid and Scamp; and putting Kid back in training... we'll see, though...ooweee, that's a hard call!!!!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2008, 12:46 pm

Stallions are dangerous, no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves otherwise. My dad has his stallion Remmy, which really doesn't need to be a stallion and my mom and I are working at him slowly to make him realize this. I also have Scotch, who I have worked really hard to make a name for and it's paying off. From the time Scotch was just a baby I have instilled manners in him but I never take my eyes off of him and we have had to work extra hard to create a facility where all of our horses can be safe...

Reiningfan, good job on the plan for downsizing! Just immagine how much easier your life will be. I sure hope you're feeling better though, wow, that was a mess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2008, 2:01 pm

We had 11 this time last year now we have 6 counting babies. Dollar arrived in AZ. Yesterday. She tells me Halter classes aren't very tuff, so she is excited.
Stallions, Tucker was kept on a very fine line. He tried to pull stuff on Kirt all the time, But not me. I was the one that handled him from showing to breeding. Im really enjoying not owning a stallion at the moment. Going to do some visiting that I havent been able to do for a few years.... Its hard to find someone you can trust to handle one.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2008, 8:12 am

Tell Kirk TEXXAASSS says to get down to 4... HA!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2008, 4:13 pm

Both my studs are usually really great to handle. Brennen rides Pep in reining lessons. And we normally have two fences between them. Well, actually, Gun is about 60 miles away right now. He's off breeding mares for a bit. But Pep freaks about geldings in the barn now. Never did before. I used him on the pasture with the other riders using geldings. I could dally up and jump off to treat a yearling and he'd never even twitch an eye at the other horses. He also never made a peep if he was under saddle. Doing it now. I'm not real impressed with him anymore. His movement has gotten so rough tht he's uncomfortable to ride, plus he seems intimidated. I'm not sure what was done to him, but I don't like it.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm

When you have a horse with a trainer you better be checking in on them often so see how they are going and watch what is being done. I mean at least two or three times a week.. coffee I believe it was you who was not at all happy what she saw when she picked up her horse.. scratch

It's also that time of year. Spring is in the air and so is love amoung'st the animals (and some people).... :lol... Wink Lets just refer to the boys as PP's.. This is where their mind is and some other PP's come around then they have to ruffle their fur and act like idiots.. Same as humans.. Even if they do not have balls. They are still PP's... So, they are not themselves when not alone with all the girls.. Humans are the same way. Put some PP's in a bar full of cute girls and just watch how stupid they act.. lol! Rolling Eyes alien pig Animals are not so different. doggie
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
reiningfan

reiningfan

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2008, 2:11 pm

I was checking on him, but of course I always went when the trainer was home so I could see him ridden. It's about a 2 hour drive each way there, so I couldn't go too often. As Pep is a reiner, I never really saw the trainer trot him and he was always just in the arena. I know spring changes them, but this is the worst I've ever seen him. My other thing was that the guy was planning on buying him but never came up with any money. And he hasn't called since I brought Pep home. It was his wife who told me to come get Pep. Neither myself or Wade has talked to the trainer in ages. So I'm thinking he's staying. With that in mind I entered him in a ranch horse deal going on here in July as part of our town's 125th anniversary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pep's back home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pep's back home   Pep's back home Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pep's back home
Page 1 of 1