Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A little help needed...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

A little help needed... Empty
PostSubject: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2008, 10:23 pm

I haven't been around much lately and a couple of you know why already, but I need kind of a group effort to come together on this to put our heads together to get some good advice and info on my problem. This has nothing to do with showing or halter, period.

Last Wednesday, I finally took my best mare, Lady (the big sorrel I do barrels on), to the vet to have her coffin bones x-rayed. When we bought her in July, we were told that she had foundered severely from an alfalfa pasture overload and that not only were both of her coffin bones rotated, but one of them was a sinker. We began a course of corrective shoeing immediately and she was reacting to this and was more comfortable. There isn't a lot you can do to "treat" those horses besides theraputic farrier work. Well, we were wrongly informed. I'll be totally honest, I always wanted to get her checked out, but x-rays are not cheap. I finally got frustrated with not knowing for sure, so we took her in. The news that we got was very relieving in one way, but still not great either. Lady had foundered at some point in time, but she had no rotation at all and neither were sinking. She did, however, have a severe infection in both of her front coffin bones, and I do mean SEVERE. Her entire sole, on both feet, are completely underun with abcesses that lead to her coffin bones. She has some osteomylitis, but the good news is that if we can get the infection gone, this mare will be 100% sound and lead a normal life. The other good news is that she is responding to the internal and topical antibiotics. She is blowing out abcesses like crazy, but that is actually a good thing here. She is currently on Sulfa from the vet, and a gram of bute daily. We're alternating prodine and icthamol every five days topically on both of her feet, and she's wearing hospital plates to keep any debri out of her sole area. On my own, we have put her on MSM, a high biotin hoof supplement, and an herbal infection fighter. Some how, all of this is working to make her better, thank God. This mare just means the world to me, she is my absolute favorite horse and I would sell every horse I own to pay for her vet bills.... I am so thankful she is getting better and I hope it continues. So here is my problem...

Lady cannot have any high amount of carbs in her feed (alfalfa, etc.) and she is currently getting free access to bermuda grass and about six lbs. of grass pellets a day, with a cup of corn oil. She is having a very tough time with keeping this weight on. She is a AQHA papered mare, but she has primarily thoroughbred breeding. She usually cleans up her feed, but she's loosing and not gaining weight. I don't want her to be fat, it wouldn't be good on her feet. But, I don't want to see ribs anymore and she just realy needs to fill out to be healthy looking. She will not eat rice bran, period. I've tried everything to get her to eat it, so that's out. I need your suggestions on feed products to help her gain some weight semi-quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has ever had any experience with bone infections, please do share Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2008, 11:08 pm

Ok hun you know how I skim.. Well, Chad is on high fat and low carb since they think he has PSSM.. I feed him Nurtena feeds.. Safe choice and Empowered. Now, Empowered is spendy but he only get two pounds of that a day..

So, with that said the Empowered is 22%fat..

He gets 1lb X 2 daily Empowered
1lb x 2 daily Safe Choice
2 oz DAC oil
1.5 heaping cup soaked beet pulp X 2 daily

Plus all the Orchard grass he can eat.. He does well on this. I am not a corn oil person since it is high in carbs.. The beat pulp helps hold the weight on..

Now the stud on my signature (JMS MODEL PRINT) was foundered for purposes of winning at the world show.... affraid Evil or Very Mad Shocked .. He has the special foot work and he is not on low carb diet.. I keep him lean so he does not stess his feet..

Trial and error.. All your grains are going to be too hight in carbs.. You may get by on a hight quailty roughage and some fat.. Beet pulp can be an aquired taste.. Keep working through the problem. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2008, 11:49 pm

We also feed Empower by Nutrena. It is great for adding weight - the TB gelding that we bought in Jan with the help of 7Cs went on that and he has been gaining weight very steadily!!!! His coat is pretty also...and he is an OTT TB...he was in pretty poor condition...

Empower down here is about $26 per 40lb bag...

The Purina comparable thing is Amplify which comes in a 30lb bucket - it is more expensive and is pretty much the same thing. Which is why we feed the Nutrena version!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 1:05 pm

I like beet pulp. I also feed canola oil. It'd be similar in fat content to the corn oil you are feeding, but up here canola oil is one heck of a lot cheaper. There are weight building products on the market, but I've never used them and don't know if they are any good or just hype. Too bad she won't eat the rice bran. My skinnies get rice bran, molasses and canola oil mixed into their grain or pellet ration.
Good news on the feet. Let us know how she does.
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 3:49 pm

You might try Platinum Performance, our vet recommended we put our horses on it and we are very happy with it. Our two biggest team roping head horses are hard keepers. Since they've been on the platinum, I've actually cut back on their feed. Interestingly, the easy keepers did *not* gain weight on the PP.

I give them two scoops a day and it runs about $ 50.00 a month, but it is well worth it. It also really helped their overall condition, coat, feet etc.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 9:56 pm

The Empowered here cost $30.00 a bag. The Canola oil sounds like it might be a more cost effective way to get the fat in there.. With Chad, he cannot eat grain.. So, maybe some soaked beat pulp and the oil would work.. Or, even a vegatable oil will work as well. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little help needed...   A little help needed... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A little help needed...
Page 1 of 1