Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!

Go down 
+3
Triple J Quarter Horses
Kidd Kuhlmann
7cedars
7 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2008, 12:04 am

So today, Kid got lucky! So the story starts that Rick's best friend in school wanted to breed his mare... again. But it'd been a couple of years, and I couldn't remember anything...had a super nice paly colt out of Kid last time.... so that's okay, what the hey....

So vet came out this past Friday, checked everything out, good to go, blah, blah, blah, she's 16-17, so I wanted to make sure we were okie doke... got her flushed, just to make sure...

Well... Rick gets her out and brings her to Kid - easier to do it that way than the other way... okay, so she's showing signs... fine, take her to the wall. Stupid heifer won't go on the other side of the breeding wall to get teased - at this point, I've already got ahold of Kid, heading that way... Rick's hollering, where's the twitch... well, how the heck am I supposed to know - that ain't my job!!!! So I'm looking on one side of the barn, dragging Kid, who knows exactly what's going on, standing on his tiptoes; Rick's got the mare on the other side of the barn hunting for it... well, then Rick takes her up to the wall, loops the rope around the post - she goes flying back....glad I wasn't anywhere close.... Rick hollers, OH, CRAP, I THINK SHE'S THE ONE THAT DOESN'T TIE!!!!!!! Oh, my GAWD for the first freaking mare!!!!!!!!!

So then, we get into the hollering game, him trying to twitch her all the same, me trying to keep Kid under wraps (he was being very good, just wanting to move around - didn't utter a peep though)... then the hollering gets a little louder with me telling him where to put her to keep us all safe, Rick hollering at the mare because she won't be still to put the twitch on....I told him so help me GAWD if this "heifer" - not the words I used kicks my stud that I have for sale, the mare's going freaking home!!!!

Rick hollers expletives... I'm hollering expletives... no wonder Kid's not uttering a peep... HA!....finally Rick gets her twitched, I'm coming in super slow, get around ... no way am I going to let him sneak up to her till he's ready... so we do the song and dance in circles, he gets ready, goes up to her nice and quiet, she's standing still.... this is the moment I always dread - either she's fixing to kick the crap out of him, or not, or wait until he starts backing off....he jumps up sideways, knowing Mom's saying EASY for a reason... gets his business done and flies off... I'm talking FLIES OFF!....I think he and I are thinking the same thing, she's probably going to get into a kicking thing...... too many experiences with Cool (Scamp's Mom)....

Since it's the first breeding of the season, we always do it twice... he feels more comfortable and comes up and does his business, and we're done...

So, to all your mare owners out there, PLEASE DO ALL OF US BREEDERS A FAVOR - make danged sure your mare will tie!!!!!!!! Nothing more aggravating or a chance of getting your head kicked in!!!!!!!

I called the girl that takes care of her and told her that I'd forgotten that heifer didn't tie, and after we get her bred, she and Rick can tell the owner that we're not breeding her again - for no amount of money - just not safe at all for people or stallion! I also told her, when we get through, have that heifer ultrasounded at 2 weeks and then again at 30, because I don't want to see her again once she leaves here!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2008, 12:30 am

Ugh - sounds like an episode we had at the farm...
There are 3 TB stallions standing here - 2 are new guys...
The one we've had is a super gentleman - easy to deal with, manners, manners, manners....

Well - Garrett and I had to breed one of the new stallions to a maiden mare yesterday - HA...talk about a %^&*()*^%^&* mess!!!!!!

Stallion went pawing at mare, mare started kicking at stallion (this is while she is twitched AND drugged)...ye-haw!
We had a guy holding the mare, Garrett holding the stallion and I take care of tail and mare's hip...yesterday I was also in charge of washing both the mare and stallion.

Ok - so this stallion is also really ummm, large...soooo, it is difficult for him to get his job done...We get the mare in a ditch to help with the angles, with a twitch and an ear held things look good on her end...
Stallion decides he doesn't like her anymore - a few minutes later he decides he likes her again (thank goodness) - got him up and it taken care of...
But between her back legs, his front legs and his teeth I thought there was going to be blood on the ground...

Garrett schooled his rear though - dang TBs and live cover!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2008, 1:36 am

Oh, Gee, Whiz, I miss standing a stud! Laughing

Hey,, at least you have a great tale to tale. YOU GO GIRL! Razz
Back to top Go down
SSFarm2

SSFarm2

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2008, 9:27 am

Me too, Sounds like one of my mares, drugged that she couldn't even walk, twitched, lip chain, ear twitched and she still thought of kicking him.

No more of that only AI from now on. Send me the baby in a tube. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2008, 12:22 am

HEY Arrow I thought you were out of the breeding business lol! I have my girl friend coming over tomorrow to collect these two paint studs I have,, Might have a rodeo here.... lol! According to the woman I got them from there are real easy... scratch We shall see.. pray for us.. lol! We may be breaking out the helmets.. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2008, 8:43 am

Kidd, too funny!!!!!! I wish I could've seen Garrett... you tell him, I said, GO, BOY, GO! HA! He's just cute as a bug!

SS, I hear you! Cool, the mare I sold, Scamp's mom, GAWD, no amount of drugs, pulling leg up, twitched anything would stop that heifer from kicking like a mule... and she was super sneaky - always waited until he was up and EXPOSED! I'm glad that heifer is gone!

Bluejay, I don't have any mares to breed myself, thank the Lord! The guy that I bred all the paint mares for, sold them all this past week - thankfully, he got all his money back....and I'd forgotten what a super pain breeding season is! GAWD!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 1:13 pm

I've been so lucky that way. We have mares that would back themselves to the stud to get it done faster. But Gun has decided he doesn't want to breed if I'm holding him. But I told in no uncertain terms that he was not gonna pasture breed and if he doesn't like it, I'll breed all my mares to Pep. Even if I have an hour and a half drive each way. Still seems strange to haul to a stud I've always had in my own barn.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 10:07 pm

lol! We collected Pete today and he was all over the phantom.. It has been a while for him. Sleep

I am telling you that motor home looks better every day and heading cross country and just taking life easy.. I really am getting too old for this.... drunken
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 10:17 am

Told ya, Bluejay! HA! It's just so nice not to have any babies and worry about that mess and dealing with the studs and the mares....

This mare we're breeding has decided not to let Rick twitch her...bred her last night again...

How many days are they supposed to be in when they've been given a shot? I can't remember, because I don't like doing that.... but....

I think she's going to be one of those mares that's in all the dad-blasted time!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 5:37 pm

Well - which shot are you giving?

If it is prostin they come in anywhere from 3+ days after it is given - usually 3-5 with "nice" weather - sometimes up to 9 (UGH).

We gave my father-in-law's mare prostin on Friday, shipped semen on Monday, bred on Tuesday and ovulated by Wednesday.

A shot of HCG will have them ovulate in about 24 hours usually.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 9:18 pm

What do ya think, Took my mare to get bred on foal heat. She bred one time, day 9 and was out on day 10 scratch
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 9:54 pm

Good stuff!

My mare was still a little stretched out so we skipped foal heat and are short-cycling...needed to get her tone improved a little!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 11:01 pm

7C, if you gave her HCG and had at least a 2.5 folicle she should ovulate with in 36 hours.. If she was not under lights and just going it alone she would likely be transitional.. Meaning she could go on for a long time and not get in foal.. lol! icecream coffee
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2008, 12:13 pm

I'm going to go ahead and call the vet to come out this next week and see where she's at... I've got a sinking feeling that she's "stuck" and not going to go ahead and ovulate... we're having real funky weather here... the other day it was snowing like a big dog.. I'm talking, I haven't seen this in years and years and years... then by noon, it's all melted, gets up to 65... funky!

And heck, no, I don't have her under lights - are you joshing me!!!! We don't usually have to do that down here... besides Scamp and Jazz have the stalls... and they're not getting yanked out....

We've got to breed her today, so I'll see where she's at...if she's still in by Tuesday, I'm calling the vet!!!!

Kid was so funny... he's like, okay, mom, I'm ready... no, son, here's your hay...he's at the gate giving me the eye... no, MOM, I'M READY! Here, let's go!!! Rick's cracking up, and I go over and explain to him, yo, dude, I don't have the chain in my hand, do I???? I think he's irritated at me... HA! Kid and Rick think the same - think we have to breed every day... criminey sakes alive!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2008, 12:00 am

Another saga on the breeding today... so it's 7 days today... if she's still in tomorrow, that's it, I'm calling the vet; get her ultrasounded, see where she's at, and do something...

Rick couldn't get the heifer twitched, and I told him we're not breeding then... so I hear him calling this mare everything but a horse, and him hollering for Dillon. So I've got Kid in hand - thankfully, I had the back door open, so I came up to the house and started hollering for Dillon. Dillon finally makes it down to help Rick, do what, I have no idea... and then I hear Rick screaming at the top of his lungs... I'm on the other side of the barn still with Kid in hand... and I scream, DO YOU WANT ME TO COME DOWN THERE AND HELP? NOOOOOO was the answer, well, okie doke... and boy, is Kid getting super aggravated now... ooowee...

So finally I hear the COME ON... so I get down there, and Rick's got this heifer hobbled - isn't any way she can move... Kid hurry up and gets ready, baam... done... good GAWD - I don't know who was more wore out, me, Kid, Rick, or the mare.... I swear!

When we were coming up from the barn... he said, you know, if this heifer is showing tomorrow, you call the vet... DUH, YA THINK!... and if she's sitting on whatever, you tell the vet to do whatever, because I'm about to the point of sending her back with the check they gave us...

Lordy, he was aggravated!!!!! Nothing worse than having a mare who won't tie, much less won't let you twitch her...and I thought I was the "only one" who hollered at the horses...HA!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2008, 8:44 am

Hehehe...WOW...

The farm is crazy in some ways - we hold both mare and stallion regardless...

One or two people on the mare, one person on the stallion, and one person with warm water to wash everyone...

THIS is funny...
There are two new guys at the barn (workers), neither speaks very much english...well, Garrett got to breed a mare with only those two helping him...
Garrett handles the stallion, Ismael was holding the mare, so that left Lorenzo to WASH the stallion. There was no problem washing the mare before the stallion got there - all went well in that department...

So, Chief comes up ready to do his thing and you have to grab hold and wash it off (paper towels soaked in warm water)...Garrett was standing there waiting and Lorenzo straight up froze - he wouldn't do it, flat out would not, he wasn't going to touch that thing (this is a 40yo man!!!)...
So Lorenzo had to grab the mare so Ismael could take the stallion so Garrett could wash him...all the whle Lorenzo and Ismael looked at Garrett like he was a freak of nature...

Hehe - I can only imagine what they think when Sue or I go up, grab hold , give it a good washaroo and say, "Ready" and then rinse afterwards...

Gee - the things we do!!!!!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2008, 12:48 pm

That's so funny. How bad did Garrett lose his temper?
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2008, 1:50 pm

Somebody should of had the video camera. I told my husband once that he had to wash his mare. No I ain't touching that thing. The look on his face was priceless.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2008, 5:49 pm

Hehe - I think Garrett was too busy laughing at the guys and making fun of them to lose his temper too bad...

His boss (Sue) started rolling when he told her...

Poor guys...you'd THINK they would be mature enough to handle it...

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!   Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid breeding season!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1