Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OLWS Question

Go down 
+2
AQHA/OLF
Mare
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

OLWS Question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2008, 10:45 pm

Ok my question here isn't it also the stud owners responsiblity too- if you know your stud is a carrier and the mare is too isn't it kind of irrisponsible to breed to that mare? Not trying to slam anyone but we are having Peppy tested because he has some questionable paint characteristics we have bought an overo mare and are trying to really cater to the paints and I can say w/o a doubt if he comes back positive and a mare comes to me an overo/ tovero it will have to be tested and will have to have documentation that it is negative before I will breed it. Money isn't everything and in this market I don't need to bring another foal into the world unless I can be absolutely sure it is going to be something extra special if you know what I mean. I don't really care who I make mad better mad before I breed than have heart broken owners when the foal dies at birth or soon after. Does that seem crazy?
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2008, 10:36 am

The bad thing about having a lethal, besides having a baby and then having to put it down, is losing all that time and money on the mare being bred and then losing all that.

I think it's wise, Lynn, that you're having him tested, you need to know for your own mares. However, it kinda works both ways. If you know about your stud, super. If you/they know about their mare, super. Only one party has to be negative, and then you don't have to worry about it... but surely a safer bet all the way around.

When I pulled up that OLWS stuff, it did say that some "tobianos" have the gene... I'm assuming the ones that have overos in there somewhere on their papers...hadn't ever heard that before until I read that.

Course if the stud is negative, breed away....HA!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2008, 12:07 pm

Lynn, we all have a responsibility to test those horses that may carry any gene that could have an impact on the future of the breed.. HERDA and GBED both have DNA testing now. Basketball

What really gripes me is those who breed for this stuff. HYPP and + to + on the OLWS.. I have nothing against any of these horses.. It's the humans that take the chance and cross them anyway that I am against. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2008, 9:47 pm

I agree totally Bluejay! Any horse with the Poco lines absolutely need to have HERDA testing w/o a doubt and most of the big cutters are providing that which I am so happy to see. If we keep our yearling intact he will definately have testing. His momma is getting tested this year she isn't H/H but could be N/H although our stud doesn't have Poco lines it is still nice to know. What I think is sad is the resistance Im seeing in the pleasure horses to test for HERDA.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2008, 3:32 pm

Then you get a dummy like me that see's OLWS NO and thinks that it means NO he doesnt have it. (ha) Live and learn. At least I learned something out of the deal.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2008, 8:41 pm

I am sure I read they traced the GBED back to the King lines.. As breeders I feel it is important to be forth coming about these possibilities when we sell our horses.. It really does PI$$ me off when some of these so called cheap big timers lie and do what ever to sell a horse to someone who has no clue this is all out there.. They all do it.. Like the idiot who would not test for HYPP for our friend accross the pond. I am so glad she told them to keep their horse.. No cheers

Getting a new horse is such a happy occation. I just do not understand why people need to cheat and lie to make a sell. I would want to know for myself if nothing else.... study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OLWS Question   OLWS Question - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OLWS Question
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2