Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question here

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 12:37 am

Taking a short break while I'm typing.

Got a call from a guy up in Illinois (the southeast corner) that we'd bought a buckskin paint overo colt from a while back... that we'd bred our two breeding stock mares to his bay and white stud. He says he's wanting to sell him, and I'll have to pull out my paperwork, but I think he's a grandson of Doc O'Lena... Probably the only horse that I've ever seen pictures of that actually looks like that in person - a jam-up sure-nuf stallion!

Anyhoo, he's wanting to sell him. I'd told him years back, if he sold him, I wanted him, but since I'm out of paints now, well..... if we had our new barn and set-up, even if he is paint, I'd probably be hauling up there to get him - he's that nice!

They're not computer saavy by no means, in fact, he told me he was turning 74 this next week - great people, too!

So what do I do, take a picture of my pictures that I have of him and put them on the net for him or what? Any suggestions? He's still got the price tag of $5,000 on him, but I already know he'll produce buckskins, duns and palaminos.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 12:49 am

Well, bucks and duns are very popular.. Wink

And, paints that color are in high demand Smile

So, you need to ask yourself if you want to stand another stallion scratch

Personally for me, I would like a few good stallions for people to consider.. That make the trip to the farm more intersting.. king
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 1:42 am

I'm not real sure at this point what to do. I know the thought of dealing with some of the ignorant mare owners sort of blows my mind. Been there/done that. If I advertise him down here, he'll go like hot cakes with that color and his breeding. I've already stood three studs, and that four months of pure heckie pooh! I'm not real keen about doing that again.... I don't know, Bluejay, I'm like... this is a super nice stud, I already know what he throws, because I've had 'em.

I have a friend that got me into paints, and has a total open barn, I might call her in the morning and see what she thinks. She knows more people than I ever thought about knowing in the paint industry, and she might give me some insight.

If I had the facilities, I'd jerk him up in a heartbeat, but right now, I've got mares fixing to foal, and somebody's getting kicked out of the barn one way or another... HA!
Back to top Go down
jools

Number of posts : 168

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 3:27 am

OOOH GET HIM bounce Arrow Sounds great Suspect I just know you can find room cat monkey You'll only kick yourself if you don't cyclops If it helps I have a spare stable lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 12:00 pm

Oh, jeesh, Jools, don't tempt. I couldn't get up there right now anyways. He's got a 5-year old gelding out of him, that Rick danged sure perked his ears about. I might have a paint stud for breeding, but I'll be danged if I'm getting into that paint mess again - nope, ain't no way! Course most people around here knew his buckskin overo son we had out of him, so no biggy on the color thingy.... I don't know, I'm thinking... sort of... I'm pooped right now! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 11:29 pm

Cedars check out a stallion by the name of Mr. Heart Attack he is a similar horse color and cow breeding and they are asking $25,000.00 no Doc Bar breeding but a grandson of Freckles Playboy & he is Homo. Paint... but has no points or money (his daddy has 55,000.00 in the cutting pen- more than Color Me Smart and his damn is a producer) I believe you can google him for info.. on him- if you want to know the general info- might make you change your mind on the Doc O'Lena... I would be interested in more info on the pedigree myself...
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 11:58 pm

My goodness just do it.. If you know you can sell his breeding then just do it. Having two stallions makes it worth a trip to come see. You may get some in on Kid too.. Just make more stalls... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 12:14 am

I have to second Bluejay on this sounds like a horse hubby would really like too....
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:32 am

Just found his papers. His name is Smoke N Doc O'Lena. He's 12, not 10. '95 bay tobiano stallion.

Sire - Spotolena
Grandsire - Olena Chex
Great Grandsire - Doc Olena (so he's a great grandson of Doc Olena)
Has got Poco Lena and King Fritz and Leondra on the top side.

Bottom - Lenas Klassy Lady
who's by Geta Little Lena who's out of Justa Lena and For Luv of Stormy. Justa Lena is out of Doc Olena

and Sun Gold Smoke, who's out of Smoke and Georgia Ford.

I've got some real good pictures of him, but I don't have a danged scanner. I'll try today to take a picture of a picture.

That's the problem, Bluejay, we don't know if we're selling our house and ten acres, and then buliding on the other 60 or not. So we don't really want to build a bunch of stuff over on this side till we know for sure. If we start on the other barn that's on the 60, it's WAY over there, on the other side of the arena.

But we're still talking about it.....
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:37 am

King Fritz is in the National Hall of Fame for Reined Cow horses just an FYI he is a big dog as far as that goes very nice there... I really look for that in horses but haven't been able to find it very much closer than that myself...
hey if you bring him down you can take my filly I have posted for sale and breed her to him.. their papers would make a lovely cross double King Fritz lots of Doc Olena lots of Chrome sell the little sucker and make a fortune! We be in the money!!!! cheers cheers

Last edited by on February 15th 2007, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:43 am

Rick's the one that's real up on the reining and cutting horses. We're still mulling it around. Trouble is, heck it's already February, and I don't know when it'll thaw enough just for us to be able to get up there and get 'em.

And these mare owners... criminey sakes! Had one guy, I kid you not, had backed his trailer up to unload, had a mare and a baby in the trailer, and I'm at the back, I open up the trailer, and no horses... I'm thinking what the heck... uhhh, get this... he's done taken them out of the escape door - I kid you not!

Then I get this where the mares have babies on 'em that's not halter broke... I'll get this from grown men... I don't know how to get that baby back in. Told one guy who had a huge colt, yeah, you go around the other side of the barn, because I'm fixing to get ahold of this little feller, and he's going in the trailer. I can't do that anymore with my back, just no way!

And then those mares that don't tie, much less go in the stocks....I just really don't know if I want to go through this mess again! But I'm a thinking....
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:47 am

train him to a dummy and ship semen then no owners to deal with problem solved!!! they have dummys that are so user friendly you don't have to do anything at all... stand back and let them at it most of the reiners and cutters aren't sending their mares off anymore anyways...
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:55 am

Oh, I've got a dummy, but somebody's got to collect. Been through that mess with Kid, and the expense of it is just unreal to me, but I don't know we'll see.

If he's marketed to the nation, so to speak, you're talking about a lot of advertising, a new website, which I need to do anyway.

I'm just trying to figure if he'll pay his way. Figure it costs, now with the price of hay, around $150 a month at least to keep a horse, times 12, that's $1,800 a year, so figure at least $2,500, with farrier, worming, and hopefully never a trip to the vet. (Good Lord, I need to slim down on some horses! HA!)

If I stand him for $300 here, which every Tom, Dick and Harry will want to breed to him because of his color and bloodlines, figure oh, at least 20 mares, that's $6,000, not including having to build something and the price of him at the out-go... so if he's $5,000, that means $1,000 profit, less keeping him for a year till next breeding season, extra stallion and mare stalls, etc., which kicks you back at a loss for the first year; if something happens to him, that's it, he's gone; wouldn't make any money on him till the second year of ownership, barely...

If I don't watch it, I'll completely talk myself out of this... Very Happy Sad Shocked
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2007, 4:13 pm

if I had the money and could drive all the way down there I would buy him myself. Never mind that we already have 2 studs, plus a coming 2 race bred colt that isn't gelded yet. I love buckskins, love Doc O Lena bred horses, starting to like the paints.
Get him and maybe I'll have an excuse to head down there and catch some warm sun.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2007, 9:17 pm

OK, If you are re grouping and getting ready to make a big change in you living situation then don't do it now. Shocked Wait until you are where you want to be and set up.. Then there will be something else you want and you will be ready for it.. I would not stand a horse for $300.00. That is not enough to make it worth your time or put up with all the other stuff that goes with standing a stallion.. No
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2007, 11:15 pm

Now, you're getting it, Bluejay....same thing I was thinking.... plus nothing personal here, but I am NOT IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER a big fan of tobianos... I have seen two that I like, and that stud was one of 'em... I'm an overo girl - not even that anymore... like my liver chesnut QUARTER HORSES! YEAH, BABY!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2007, 2:12 pm

Think how nice it will be with your new barn cheers You can have a couple xtra large stallion stalls with big runs off them and get something you really want to stand with Kid.. You might want to go with something totally different.. I have a nice bay colt. If I do not sell him I can stand him next year.. He is Sir Cool Skip/Little Town bred.. NN..

I have loved Tobiano every since Little Joe....geek The paint people want minimal overo though... I also like the black and white..

Keep all that in mind when designing your barn.. I keep Tommy in a 12 x 24 stall.. He does not get out to pasture.. I might try it again this year. I have an area that has tall fencing we put up for stallions.. He ran around like and idiot the last time we put him outside. I thought he was going to kill himself. He just doesn't know what to do.. So, maybe baby steps.. lol! I wish I had a big run for him so he could just come and go. study
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2007, 10:59 pm

yeah Im with you Bluejay standing a stud for 300.00 not worth it thats for sure no way. As for tobianos Im still on the fence with that one. Ive heard about the paint people wanting minimal white and am wondering if that is more a fad with the halter and pleasure people? Not sure about the cow horse people will check with my trainer. I sure do find an overo pretty but wouldn't breed my quarter horse to an overo unless it was double registered so I wasn't sitting around w/a breeding stock horse w/limited showing ablility. Seems silly to me to have a paint and breed for minimal white Im not sure I understand the mind set there. Go buy a quarter horse. Hmm I like my little colt he is very correct is bay which I like and has great papers to me he has a bit too much white but with a saddle on his back he will be beautiful. He has so much athletic ability already it is amazing. I haven't decided to keep him but I can't imagine cutting him only because he has a bit too much white because I personally would be using him on quarter horses if he were a minimal white I would be sending him down the road and definately not even thinking of keeping him. I guess I will be going to paint congress to observe this year as it is only 1 hr away.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2007, 1:05 am

Lynn, I swear there was one big aged mare that I used to show against, that I darned near stood on my head and I still couldn't see any white. Lots of cheating going on on some of those babies and that white!

I think you'll be fine with your colt, Lynn. You'll see a lot of color in cutting, reining, roping, etc. Sometimes quite a bit in WP... I can't remember HUS... course lots of color in showmanship, and lots of those are tobies.

Now, you understand why I got back into quarters. I think your colt is cute, and as far as I'm concerned, in cutting, I don't care if the sucker is purple or green, if the sucker can cut a cow and do it right, that's all that matters! Just look at Color Me Smart, I've seen lots of his babies, and they're all wild colored.

Bluejay, I used to have a friend that had runs attached to his barn, and Lordy, when it rained, it was the biggest mess you've ever seen. All our stalls will be 12x16. Kid's not actually even supposed to be in the barn. Okay, see if you can imagine this.

One side is the arena... go outside the arena, and there's the barn, then a fence, the driveway, and a fence... that's where Kid will be. He'll have a run all the way up from there all the way to the new house we're going to build, and I'll have either a big enough comfy shed for him to be in, or build like a couple of a big shed row there, with a couple of stalls. In other words, when we get our new house built, I'll look out my kitchen window and see him running up and down the hill. From the house on the hill, I can see the barn and his shed row, but I can't see the arena. I told Rick what we ought to do is build sheds at the sides of the arena, split it up with panels and let that be the pens for the mares and babies once they get here... he's thinking on it... HA! It's a full sized roping arena, so I could easily put 3 mares and babies up there and still have room for them to romp, and then have another deal on the outside of the shed, where they can go out in the big pasture. That way, all you have to do is take the panels down, use the sheds if you have to in bad weather.

I just wish we had enough flat ground to do like some of those T-bred farms I've seen, with all those mare pens... those are just so super nice!

Okay, back to the barn to check on fatty.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2007, 1:11 am

funny thing is Color Me Smart isn't very colored and if I remember correctly doesn't have a huge % of color babies Id have to check it out to be sure funny how the big ones you remember are him HB Instant Choice and Mr. Big Heart all bay all without tons of white and all with a QH parent.. scratch no one could accuse us of cheating with him thats for sure lol!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2007, 10:13 am

Course I haven't seen any of his in a long time, but when he got hot and they were charging, even back then, what $5,000 for stud fee, seemed like every sale you went to, there's was tons of them, and they were all pretty loud-colored. Seems like a couple was in the cutting futurity many moons back, but oowee, I've slept since then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question here   Question here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question here
Page 1 of 1