Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

update pic of bad leg

Go down 
+6
PHENOMADACIOUS
stockman
Lynn M.
Mare
7cedars
shazgeoff
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

update pic of bad leg Empty
PostSubject: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2007, 4:07 pm

heres a pic of shiraz`s foot taken today,what you guys think from last week.
update pic of bad leg Shirazinjury013
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2007, 9:57 pm

I still think this is a job for Underwood, it'll stop the proud flesh that's going to come at some point. But it does look better... is just going to take time. Underwood will also make sure the hair grows back, which is a biggy. I totally suggest, also, using Vitamin E around the edges, to keep everything supple...

But that's just what I would do...
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2007, 1:03 pm

I have heard that Underwoods is good stuff. I have known people to use it with great results. I'm thinking of ordering some just to have on hand.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2007, 4:38 pm

its going to be mega expensive for us but my girl worth it.so will make the call tmrw
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 5:34 am

It looks good doesn't look like you have any infection and looks like healthy tissue with good blood flow (no black or brown tissue). Keep washing it daily (I usually do this 2 xs a day) to keep the drainage to a minimum. Show your vet any product before using it on your mare to get his opinion. Some of these products are very caustic and can do a lot of harm to areas that are vascularly compromised already just be careful... I don't know Underwoods personally (just soap, chlorhexidine and water for me and never had any problems with proud flesh or anything else) but a lot of products use lime etc.. and that is just asking for trouble in the lower limb.... just my opinion and my vet-he won't even let me look at those products Laughing
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 8:38 am

thanks for that lynn,the other product i was thinking is equaide, they have a website www.equaide.com what do you think?

My vet is putting some steriod based cream on it now called fungiderm or something like that
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 9:12 am

You're keeping it so nice and clean!! It will be a long road but I'm sure you can bring her back with minimal scarring. I think the vitamin E is a good idea as well on the edges.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 9:36 am

she is so hard to dress the leg has to have sedazine paste and be twitched,she has had enough.

We allowed to put her in the round pen but its not easy when we are having so much rain as its then to muddy.The leg cant be hurting her any as she loves to run around on it in the pen.She has never been lame as such more so just sore.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 11:01 am

the thing I don't like about the equiade is that they won't list the ingredients of their product...so you really don't know what you are using on your animal hmmm- might email and see if you get some answers... with the cholorhexidine and water you can mix it in a spray bottle and squirt it clean it has anti-infective properties good for 12 hrs. and is not goopy stuff to attract dirt which Im sure you are battling right now also very little scarring email me or pm me if you want to talk more...
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 11:26 am

That looks just like my Flopsey filly's leg did... I can get you a picture of how it looks now if you like... she'll be fine. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 11:29 am

cor yes please will give me hope
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 11:59 am

Trust Kelly her dad is a vet she probably has great advice too!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 12:37 pm

I still think this is a job for Underwood, it'll stop the proud flesh that's going to come at some point. But it does look better... is just going to take time. Underwood will also make sure the hair grows back, which is a biggy. I totally suggest, also, using Vitamin E around the edges, to keep everything supple...

Yep I Agree! Im Telling ya! It works great! Life safer! Shocked Wrapping and to much moisture. Needs air. Try Underwood. Really!
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 12:45 pm

I vote for Cut Heal and Bute. It did wonders for my mare when she evusled/amputated her entire rt forearm muscle.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 3:10 pm

ouch that sounds awful ragdoll
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 7:47 pm

It was a nightmare!!!!! Happened back in "91". Three boys on ATVs chased my daughter, who was riding the mare, through 4 strands of barbed-wire fence. She took out 2 1/2 steel fence posts. My daughter came off the horse and one of the ATVs ran over her face, crushiing her left cheek-bone and orbit of her eye. The mare was cut to shreds, the worst, having evulsed the big forearm muscle....It hung down past her knee. There was no horse vet around here then....At least not available to horses.....Just cows......So I amputated the muscle with immasulators. It was a long, ugly rehab for the horse. In "94" she won 58 blue ribbons at 12 shows.......She's had 10 foals...... I worked on the mare's wound twice a day. Pus would form withing hours....It reminded me of rubber cement. The Cut Heal, Bute, and antibiotics healed her up in 5 months. My daughter was riding her again in 3 1/2 months. The mare is 20yrs old now, and my daughter plans to show her next year.

My daughter had to have surgery to reconstruct her cheek-bone and the orbit of her eye......The boys were caught, but never punished.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 7:54 pm

oh I would be soooooo pissed Ragdoll.... man you must have been so relieved they were just alive!
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2007, 8:58 pm

I was way beyond pissed!!!!!!! One boy was the son of a cop. One was the son of a juvenal(sp) probation officer...The third was the son of a shoer. They didn't even stop to help my daughter. They left her knocked out cold in the middle of a dirt road on the desert. It was only a fluke she was found. The mare managed to get to a house about a half mile away....dragging her right front leg. Most people thought I was nuts and cruel for wanting to save the mare. Especially with no vet around. The only vet here at the time was seeing only cows.....Funny....He's my horse vet now, and borrowed my mare for breeding a few years later. The mare healed up just fine, without a limp. She's the mom of my 2yr old colt, Tucker.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 5:06 am

oh my god.

cant believe they got away with it.What bastards.
Glad your daughter and the horse are ok.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 9:14 am

OMG! Figures! Little brats like that will never know what justice is! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 9:38 am

Evil or Very Mad OH MY GOSH! Evil or Very Mad

I think I would have had the case taken to another county! Grrrrrrr. Bless her heart, Im glad you daughter is fine and you mare. She Showed them didnt she!
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 11:47 am

Some of you have heard this story....But just a matter of days after my daughter and my mare had won their 58th blue......We had gone to a clinic, just to see how many people turned out. I had just picked up my daughter at school. A woman we knew started bugging my daughter to ride her 14yr old gelding, who was already saddled and tied to her trailer. We told her "no" 3 times. (I knew we should have left) In short, my daughter got on the horse, and in less than 7 minutes, I was giving her CPR. The horse had run away with her (turned out her was a chronic run-away) , tripped and did a complete sommersault, rolling on her. When I got to her (it happened 10 ft in front of me) she had no pulse or heartbeat. She was in a level 3 Glascow coma for 2 1/2 weeks. She wasn't expected to live. She had blown out her frontal lobe, rt temporal lobe, broke her neck at C2, broke her collar bone, crushed all of her ribs on the left side(front and back), collapsed left lung, and messed up her rt knee. She was in a rehab for 2 months....She walked out of that rehab 2 months after going in, under her own power. She's married and has 2 kids. Unfortunately, she doesn't ride. She's tried a bunch of times, but doesn't have much of a sense of balance anymore. She also has to wear glasses with a prisim because she sees double.....and may still lose her left eye.

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!! AND DON"T TRUST ANY STRANGE HORSE......NO MATTER WHO OWNS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 12:10 pm

Wow, Thank God she's had such a strong Mama.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 5:10 pm

Wow! That gave me chills...
I was wearing a helmet in my accident...a fluke actually - wore it because I had to. I was working at a YMCA camp in the hill country in TX riding a 3yo filly that I had going really well...she was a tiny little thing, 14.1 hands (maybe) and cute as a bug... She never bucked, kicked, ran away, jumped or anything...truely an angel!!! And super smooth, easy to ride, loved her!!!!

We were at a walk, in the arena and she tripped and fell over backwards (I was turning her and she got off balance)...we fell together and I sat up right smack into her back legs as she was scrambling to stand up...caught me with a hoof just around my left eye and then once again over my nose and right eye. Shattered every bone in my face, drove 2 inches of my nose into my brain and lodged it there. I was conscious the entire time talking to people...made it to one hospital via ambulance, they said it was a no go and they couldn't do anything so to call a helicopter...got airlifed to San Antonio where they drugged me and knocked me out for about 16 hours... My brain richochetted in my head but fortunately it was an open head injury so it had room to swell... I leaked CSF out my nose for 6 days before they could do surgery. They re-built my entire face: both eye orbitals and sinuses are plastic, I have stainless steel wires and titanium plates and screws...also some mesh in there. While I was in the hospital my IV got infused and infected with Fusarium, I told them it hurt and FORTUNATELY they believed me and cut my arm open and cut an entire portion out (just near the elbow so it really isn't too noticable). Several craniotomies later and I'm doin just fine...this happened on August 3, 2001. I was out of the hospital in about 3.5wks... I went back to college against Dr orders (this happened between my freshman and sophomore years at TAMU)...finished up my degree with a terrible GPA in May of 2005...

My HELMET is cracked down the back and dented...I also have a quarter sized bald spot on the back of my head where my head hit the ground..... I know helmets look dorky...but I like being alive...and while God did one heck of a job putting me back together...I have no desire to ask that of Him again!!!!

Ragdoll - I can only imagine what you've gone through - I know that my mother went through tons with my injury...you're amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Ragdoll

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2007, 6:58 pm

Ummmm....Well......Oh......Thank You.....But I'm really not that special. I punched out the lady from the transplant team....She wanted to harvest my daughter. I thought she needed to learn some compassion and professionalism. She never came back. Guess she was getting her face patched up and her tooth fixed.

I'd say you and my daughter are are the REALLY SPECIAL PEOPLE!!!!!!!! To this day, my daughter has to live with the aftermath. She's partially paralized on her left side......She's my hero!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure your friends and family think you're a hero too. Knowing your story.....I think you're pretty damn'd special too. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: update pic of bad leg   update pic of bad leg Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

update pic of bad leg
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next