Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Still one mare left to go

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Still one mare left to go Empty
PostSubject: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2007, 3:02 pm

The bay toby pinto mare has finally started to really bag up. She was pasture bred while I was at some shows (oops). Meanwhile we have some babies that are nearly 4 months old and ready to wean. This place is gonna be a madhouse.
I might see about movng Trouble and Secret to my grandparent's place while we get their babies weaned. Our fences are already taking a beating cause Bo, Wade's big red roan gelding doesn't seem to think they are there to keep him in. And I decided not to breed Vamp this year so that we don't have to pack her foal to shows and barrel races. So when she comes in heat, I have to lock Pep and Gun in the barn for a week. If I can sell a horse or two, I'm pending the money on replacing fences.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2007, 10:28 am

just weaned the last one here. Went really well thank goodness. I hate weaning and it makes me feel like a mean person. lol! Lst year was the worst year for it that we ever had. One colt had a really hard time.

I used to take my mares to other place and I like that way of doing it. It seems to help settle things down a bit.. We have the big barn (the one in my signature) that we keep the weaner in and I put the mares down in lean too stalls I have away from it. They can still hear each other though.

Good luck and you will have your hands full. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2007, 5:04 pm

I'm thinking off trying a different method this year. I'm gonna halter all the babies starting this weekend. Other than Oscar (the grouch), they are all quiet. Once they can be led nicely, I'm gonna take one mare away every two or three days. Read about it in Horse & Rider and thought we'd try it. Might be less stressfull from our standard weaning procedure. It'll take longer, but my grandparents will let us bring them there. Three babies are supposed to be sold, so before those mares come home, their babies can go to their new homes.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2007, 8:51 pm

Good luck.. kitty Let us know how it works for you.. We had one filly to wean after Chad and it went very well.. No problems what so ever.. Always a big relief to me to get that over with. cheering
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitimeJuly 3rd 2007, 12:09 pm

Blue Jay, I bet you were soooo nervous? Weaned my last baby last night. Have to ask Lynn if I did it with the signs. My signs were, it was a cool night. Hee hee. He didnt miss a meal. Yeah!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2007, 11:34 am

TripleJ, weaning always makes me nervous. I hate it.. I get so stressed I feel like throwing up. Glad it is all done here and went really well. coffee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still one mare left to go   Still one mare left to go Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Still one mare left to go
Page 1 of 1