Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alfalfa Prices In Your Area

Go down 
+10
shazgeoff
jools
Merikle Waters
RoperChick
Bluejay
7cedars
REINING CHICK
Cindy
stockman
Bucks&Blues
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Empty
PostSubject: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 3:24 pm

I was just curious as to what the hay situation is in your areas? I was in a big bind yesterday and could not find hay! At all! What hay I could find was crappy, light weight bales, and most of it looked moldy Shocked . I started to get worried, when everyone started telling me that they were having trouble getting hay delivered to their stores.
I ended up going far out of my way, but I got some Alfalfa for $21.99 a bale, and Coastal Bermuda for $18.00 a bale. This is very good hay and Im just flat out lucky that this place still had hay!
Im not complaining, but hay around here keeps jumping up a dollar at a time. For a bale that is questionable, light weight, and almost dark brown they want $11 or more bucks. Thats just crazy.
Anyone else having hay issues?
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 3:47 pm

Luckily, my husband grows our own hay. It's an alfalfa blend hay, I would have to find out from him exactly the mixture, but it turns out great! Very fresh-smelling, lots of leaf. Growing hay is a very tricky art, every year we've gotten better at judging exactly when to bale. We've made mistakes and have ended up with cuttings that we have to use as mulch in the vineyards. I love to help during haying, but my favorite job is driving the tractor in the fields while everyone else picks and stacks the bales! We have about 400 bales left in the haymow, we sell a little bit now and then for between 3 and 4 dollars a bale. These are normal two string bales, I don't know what you guys buy, but that sounds a little high! For once, I guess I'm glad I live in Michigan instead of Texas!!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 6:13 pm

It's $15 for a smal bale of alfalfa and $9 for grass hay (if you can find it) pale
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 7:37 pm

THATS INSANE!!!! ITS LIKE 9.50 HERE PER BALE FOR ALFALFA
affraid
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 7:38 pm

Oh yeah, I guess I needed to mention that the bales I bought are 120 pound 3 string bales. Oops.

Wow, $9 small bales is still a decent price. They are going for $11 and up around where I am.

The price isnt so much the issue, its the scarcity of it. It seems like it is getting harder and harder to find horse quality hay. That makes me worry.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 8:00 pm

B&B, we're paying $12 a bale for alfalfa, and it's pretty good. Coastal... well, Rick bought some for $9 the other day, and I made him take it back - looked like it was at least two years old and didn't even smell like hay. He's fed some of the horses up the barn it, and boy, I went on a rampage pulling that mess out... it's getting absolutely unreal!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 8:13 pm

My feed guy says he's planning on bringing in coastal hay from CA that
will sell for like $20 a bale, but they are bigger bales and excelent
quality. I'm still waiting!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 8:27 pm

We are paying between $220.00 and $235.00 per ton affraid of three string bales..They run about 120 to 130lb per bale.. We have several folks around here that sale it.. However, the one who charges a little more are the people who have the best hay and a good choice of different hays to choose from... This is up from $175.00/$180.00 last year.. Makes no sense because we had GREAT hay season last year.. scratch

sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2007, 10:30 pm

Totally, supply and demand, Bluejay... what gets me, is now the price of fuel has gone down, and we're still paying as much or more. I know they're bringing it in from Montana even... can you imagine!

I know a lot of cow guys are feeding those what 4x8 bales of alfalfa. If you can shift those things around with a tractor -- well, lemme tell ya, it ain't fun!
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 12:15 am

For 3 string 100lb bales we are paying $ 12.00 for horse hay and $ 9.00 to $ 10.00 for cow hay.
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 12:16 am

For 3 string 100lb bales we are paying $ 12.00 for horse hay and $ 9.00 to $ 10.00 for cow hay.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 12:21 am

Yes, and it's driving everything out of site.. I do not know how folks without really good paying jobs survive all this.. No I go through two tons of Alfalfa, ton of oats, $160.00 a month for daily wormer and I have not even mentioned the farrier work that gets done here every month or all the other stuff I feed my horses just to have them healthy..

We have 12 horses.. And, the market the way it is really is killing us.. I will not take my horses to an auction. I would give them away first. Sad I have been to a few around here and let me tell you they are too impersonal for my four legged children. They are going for pennies... OK I'll stop now. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 12:32 am

Y'all are gonna hate me for saying this......

But I can pick up (even in mid winter) a pure alfalfa 80lb bale for $3.50..

and I can pick up a 99% alfalfa 1200lb round for $25
Back to top Go down
jools

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 4:22 am

Hey Guys this is SO interesting cyclops We here only feed grass hay or Haylage No We don't produce Alfafa hay cat When I went to the Q.H. show in Abilene(?SP) I got a real good look at a bale Suspect real green..I feed my guys alfafa pellets in their short feed tongue It takes them awhile to get used to clown I guess they are quite bitter tasting silent Because of our rain lots of good grass hay/haylage is made I love you If I feed hay I pay £1.50 for 2 string & £8 for a round bale pirat ($2.85 $15.20)..Real nice to hear about everyday stuff accross the pond afro
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 6:31 am

Jools

You can get Alfa haylage over here now as i get it,the horsehage people do it.Its good stuff
Back to top Go down
jools

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 7:01 am

Hey Shazgeoff alien Is that the really small bales Question marksway or something Question Suspect Do you feed the same quantity of Alfafa hay as normal haylage No Question I feed good quality haylage helston bale size I get through a bale a week pale I 'top up' with the pellets pig Thanks I am interested to hear more tongue ooh & how much is it Question silent THANKS afro
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:11 am

What's aggravating to me is, two years ago, we were paying $4.00 a bale for alfalfa IN THE DANGED BARN! I told Rick this next year, we have got to build a huge hay barn, put up a bunch for ourselves, even if I have to take out a danged loan, and have a lot to spare... These guys are making way too much off this hay!

I think even a roll of icky coastal is up to like $100 plus a roll.

All but one of Rick's family is in the trucking business. When they start cutting again, wherever they're at, if they don't have a load back, I'm getting them to bring me some hay down.
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 8:49 am

How dp you stack and throw these three string bales? They sound a little heavy to be picking up. Do you have to use a tractor with a fork to pick them up. 2 string bales are the norm here except for people that bale the huge round or square bales for the cattle people. Those you pick up and load with a fork, of course.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 9:00 am

I know those danged 4x8 alfalfa bales, those things will weigh out at oh, 1,200 pounds. And because our little ole stupid hay barn, has literally like a people door ONLY, we had to break the bale, and put them in a flake or two at a time... well, okay, the boys were doing it four or five flakes at a time, and cumbersome, goodness gracious, not to mention, you have to tear it apart, well, when you tear alfalfa apart, all the good stuff is on the ground.

Now, I know some people that take those things with a tractor and put them in these big feeders and the horses just munch on it till their heart's content. They leave out loose minerals in a covered deal, and they're given no grain whatsoever.

And by the way, my feed went up 80 cents a bag... anybody else's feed go up, too?
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:06 am

Jools

Yep it markwasy that do them in a red writing on bag.Dont need to feed as much.i feed pellets to.Cost around £5.60 a bag.Smile
Back to top Go down
jools

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 11:11 am

Hey alien Thanks for that... next time I'm in Mole Valley Suspect I'll check it out tongue What news with your girl bounce When is she coming home Question Arrow
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 11:40 am

No not sure yet all depends on weather over there.im hoping she will fly out 23rd feb but the weather is just to bad to travel long distances pale
Back to top Go down
jools

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 11:46 am

Hey I love you bounce Thats REALLY soon cyclops Is that to Amsterdam Question Like a Star @ heaven Thats really quick quaranteen alien Bet you can't wait Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 12:48 pm

Ok, hay SUCKS. We're paying $9.50 to $12.00 for a 3-string, 80-100lb bale of alfalfa. We go through exactly one bale of hay a day here, so our hay bill is extremely pricey, that doesn't include costs of supplements and grain either. We got a really cheap 2 ton load a few months back, one of those 88 bales for $400.00 flat, it wasn't the best hay though, was kind of dissapointed, it was just real stemmy, no mold in ANY of it though, but then again, we live in Arizona, mold can hardly survive here, lol. The load we got was through a friends connection and isn't available now, so we're looking at another 88 bale load, only it's ranging over $800.00. Thank GAWD I've got some horses sold, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 1:29 pm

7Cedars- My feed jumped from $9 a bag to $11.90 a bag in just 2 weeks. I guess thats what I get for feeding Strategy.

Silverbuckle- Wow, thats not a bad deal at all for some 3 string alfalfa, I just paid $21-22 for the same thing.

I need to bring in another truck load or 2 seeing as how things are going to keep going up Rolling Eyes .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alfalfa Prices In Your Area   Alfalfa Prices In Your Area Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alfalfa Prices In Your Area
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next