Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stupid broodmares

Go down 
+2
Mare
7cedars
6 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 7:41 am

Did anybody get their danged mares back in foal on a foal heat? I swear. I thought I was through, and I came back home after getting my tooth pulled yesterday morning, and there's Larry's black and white mare out in the arena. He's picked up the paly and then the black and white mare didn't get in foal on her foal heat... I'm about to get gosh-darned aggravated. Anything I bred on a foal heat, they didn't take!!!!! Anything that I waited and got on their regular heat, stuck!

I hate freaking breeding season!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 9:05 am

I dont like to breed back on their foal heat so I always wait. But I will find out if mine took on the 24th. I'm just praying that there's a Buckskin filly in there. Thats would be very frustrating though. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 9:53 am

Yep Yep! No problems.. Now my open mare is another story! affraid
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 12:55 pm

sorry I never breed on foal heat I personally just don't think it is a good policy.. I think the statistics are like only 30-40% chance of getting one preggy on a foal heat anyways and I think they just don't have enough time to heal up from foaling.... with ours we aren't pushing for early babies so we don't have to worry about it.... I feel bad for people who have to do the whole lights etc... trying for Jan and Feb babies that would really not be a whole lot of fun.... yuck... April and May babies are fine by me... we had early babies because we bought preggy mares that was not a lot of fun... Babies in snow and cold not fun! Don't want to do it again any time soon... Hopefully they will take this time! the weather sure didn't help you out this year it was weird heard lots of people complaining of having a hard time getting mares settled.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 1:24 pm

Lynn said. sorry I never breed on foal heat I personally just don't think it is a good policy.. I think the statistics are like only 30-40% chance of getting one preggy on a foal heat

Dang, All the years I have been raising foals, I think Maybe over 20 years, I have had maybe 3 or 4 not get in foal on foal heat. My vet checks them for any tears or brusing, As long as it was a clean foaling, and The mare did not foal in early January, He will say breed her back on foal heat. I breed back on foal heats, Except last year, I had to wait on Tucker to be 24 months old. That got me on some later foaling dates the usual. Does make me feel sorry for them after having children, All I can think is poor girls! Hee Hee Wink
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2007, 3:39 pm

I wish I could remember where I read that statistic..... and I so feel for you Sheila I so want this breeding season to be over.... the finish line is in sight it is I swear!!!!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2007, 9:21 am

I thought I was through with this mess... I hate breeding season! I have got to get Cool at some point to have a freaking January or February foal. This past year, we must have got lucky somehow and got her early, because Scamp was born in April and this one was in March - but, boy witchy she was this year! Ooowee!

This black and white mare that's back... Well this past Tuesday would've been 3 weeks after I bred her on a foal heat, nothing, nada... called the vet and asked what he saw, absolutely nothing - figures! He says, we either missed her or she's funked up like the other ones are - he says it's a major issue this year... he said give her the shots. I absolutely hate doing that! Absolutely hate it! But at least this vet does it slowly, 3 shots in 3 days... and it's been so danged long since I've given the shots, I've got to call and ask him, okay, so when do I breed? HA!

Kid was sure a happy camper, though! He's peeking through the boards in his shed watching her constantly. Red and Cool come up to harass Kid... I sure like it though when the mares can get up close... if I hear any yelling going on, I run to the window see if the mares are doing anything - so that's good.

Going to get Cool and Red checked one more time, since I had to rebreed Cool - danged heifer - this coming Monday, so maybe all will be well with the world, at least with mine! Larry's got this one to check and the paly that went home this week and that was her second time here.

And absolutely no alfalfa to be found anywhere! I'm getting gosh-darned aggravated about that - criminey if I have to pay $12 a freaking bale, it ought to be around here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2007, 12:47 pm

by the time you come up here we should have some great brome baled it is so thick and beautiful Laughing it is starting to fall over....bring the biggest trailer you can find and we can fill every nook and cranny the horses aren't in .... it is usually about 4-4.50 a sm square bale and the horses love it!!!! We usually just feed prairie hay because the brome makes them so fat!!
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2007, 2:32 pm

Cross your fingers gals, my broodmares are getting ultrasounded this afternoon. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2007, 4:25 pm

One open, and one bred here... is it too late to re-breed ya recken? scratch
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2007, 12:24 am

Heck, no, Kell, it's not too late. Kid and Scamp both were April babies... if you feed those mares tons of alfalfa, they'll have 'em at least 2 weeks early.

I'm getting Cool and Red checked again this Monday... so help me GAWD if those heifers aren't bred... well, I better not say that! HA! They act like they are... they visit Kid, but that's all they're doing is visiting...

I gave that stupid black and white mare the shots, the heck with this mess! I'll start checking her on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2007, 11:12 am

I have had the best luck breeding mine back on the foal heat.. I only AI though. If I was live covering I would likely not do that since the mare would still be sore.. Yes, I am thinking like a woman. queen

Most everyone I know has had trouble over the last few years. I really think the strange weather has played a role in this over the last few years.. In Oregon it is like 75-80 one day and down in the 30's at night.. Then is will cool off and just rain.. My girl friend in CA told me she is giving up for this year and will try for next..

All I know is seems this is one of those things that Mother Nature will not let us control no matter how clever we are about it.. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2007, 3:14 pm

My Dad, (yeah, the vet) says Mother Nature will always be way smarter and more advanced than science and medicine! ...he also says that all too often Medicine gets too much credit for something Mother Nature was well on her way to fixing anyway! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stupid broodmares Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid broodmares   Stupid broodmares Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid broodmares
Page 1 of 1