Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

$485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

$485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Empty
PostSubject: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2007, 4:48 pm

Hope he turns out to be worth all that money...wahoo cheers With our World Champion trainer in charge there's always hope..........

Masters Call is entered to run on May 12, 2007 at LOS ALAMITOS

Your comments for this horse were: Hennessy/Check Her Twice x FDD 2005 s.c. $485k Allred

Race: 7 Distance: Three Hundred Yards Surface: Dirt Age: 2 Sex: Colt
Race Type: Maiden Purse: $7725
Jockey: Cody Jensen
Trainer: Paul C. Jones
Race conditions: FOR MAIDENS, TWO YEARS OLD. 124 lbs.
Last Reported Workouts:
04/26/2007-LOS ALAMITOS-Two Hundred And Twenty Yards-Dirt Fast-12:20 Handily
04/10/2007-LOS ALAMITOS-Two Hundred And Twenty Yards-Dirt Fast-12:60 Handily
Back to top Go down
Karen Cummings

Karen Cummings

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2007, 3:10 pm

Smokey,

In that same race, there is another royally bred/high dollar colt by the name of First Icy Morn whose connections are Vessels, et al,/ Joiner/Thompson connections which isn't exactly shabby either. Both have had good works coming into their maiden race. First Icy Morn has the disadvantage of the 1st post position where Masters Call had drawn the 3rd post position. This will certainly be a maiden race worth staying up for on the 12th.

However, the only filly in the race who has drawn the outside post position if she's bred like her name might just beat the boys, reckon?

And according to their breeding, this isn't the distance for Masters Call or First Icy Morn.

Good luck to all the connections. kitty flower pray
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2007, 5:29 pm

Hi Karen: Hey, I'm going with that filly against the boys any day. I've become quite partial to the 'girls' these past few years. Of course, the Corona Chick name always makes me sit up and take notice. There was a picture of her with one of her foals in Track not too long ago and she is just a beautiful, beautiful mare. I'm glad you spotted her, Miss Jess Corona, although I would have stayed up to watch that race anyway as I am a Nightowl and usually watch TVG's weekend races. Her connections are some of the high dollar guys also....Dutch Masters, Mike Abraham and Teddy Abrams. SOOOOOOO, maybe just with her breeding and if she gets away from the gate in good shape, she'll give the boys something to think about. Is it still raining in Texas? I hate to brag but the last 3 days here in Colorado have been just gorgeous so I've been getting my garden ready to plant next week. You have a great weekend and give all your horses an extra treat............. icecream

Last edited by on May 11th 2007, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Karen Cummings

Karen Cummings

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2007, 7:59 pm

Smokey,

It will certainly be a good race to stay up and watch. The weather today is gorgeous for change here in Central Texas. Hope you have a great weekend too. sunny riding doggie kitty Dancing
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2007, 11:33 pm

MASTERS CALL TO DEBUT ON SATURDAY

Four baby races, one featuring the anticipated debut of Masters Call, the $485,000 sale topper at the Los Alamitos Equine Sale, plus the running of the $18,000 Brotherly Handicap at 550 yards headlines an outstanding 11-race card Saturday at Los Alamitos.

Masters Call's first outing will come against a loaded field that includes First Icy Morn, a full brother to multiple Grade 1 finalists First Down Morn, and Miss Jess Corona, a filly out of the highly-regarded young broodmare Katy Corona. The three young horses will meet in the seventh race on the card at 300 yards.

Bred by Zory Kuzyk, Masters Call is owned by a syndication featuring Ed Allred, R.D. Hubbard, Sharon Brandsness, BR Livestock, Chuck & Terryll Griffeth, Ron Hartley, Zory Kuzyk, Lisa McMahon, Don Moler, Mark Parsons & Mark Parsons Jr. Harvey & Brenda Pickens, and Alessio, Brown & Davies Llc.

Trained by Paul Jones, Masters Call has posted two solid workouts with the first being a :12.6 drill on April 10 followed by :12.20 work on April 26. Sired by leading Thoroughbred stallion Hennessy and out of the 1992 Grade 1 Golden State Futurity winning broodmare Check Her Twice, Masters Call is a full-brother to the talented young sire Check Him Out. The latter won the Grade 1 Ed Burke Memorial Futurity in 2001 and the Grade 1 Golden State Derby and Grade 2 PCQHRA Breeders Derby in 2002. Check Him Out was Quarter Horse racing's top freshman sire in 2006 with his first crop featuring Grade 1 winner Checknbac.

Trained by Mike Joiner and racing for a partnership headed by Allred, Smith, Vessels, Et al, First Icy Morn drilled once at Sunland Park before posting a pair of :12.40 works at Los Alamitos. Miss Jess Corona's dam, the 5-year-old mare Katy Corona, made headlines as the $300,000 high seller at the preferred session of the 2007 Heritage Place Winter Mixed Sale. Katy Corona is a full sister to Champion Corona Cash, grade 1 winner Valiant Hero and half-sister to leading sire Corona Cartel. She is also a full sister to stakes winner Corona Czech. Miss Jess Corona is Katy Corona's first foal.

The other baby events are also noteworthy, as Keilani Farms' Eye For Corona will headline the 4th race fresh off a :12.0 bullet drill on April 18. Sired by Corona Cartel, Eye For Corona is out the Mr Eye Opener mare Eye For The Sixes, the third place finisher in the Grade 3 Rainbow Derby and a finalist in the Heritage Place Futurity and Dash For Cash Derby. Eye For Corona's second dam is multiple Los Alamitos winner Tempered Glass, the dam of Texas Classic Derby winner and All American Futurity finalist Sixes Royal, who earned over $380,000 in his career. Eye For Corona's bottom side also features stakes winners Chickarun (who is her fourth dam) and the likes of champion 2-year-old filly Sixy Chick, Champion of Champions finalist Brookstone Bay, Grade 1 winner Valors Gold and the stallions Sixarun and JJ Shot Glass.

Double Bar S Ranch's Wortherweightingold, a half-sister to Jess You And I, will be in action in the ninth race. She posted one of the best 220-yard workouts of the season on April 28, as she bobbled out of the gate before accelerating to post an impressive :12.1 drill. "She's a runner," said trainer Jaime Gomez. "She's one of my best 2-year-olds this year." Sassy Shaelan, Shez A Cartel and In The Open are among the other nice babies that will be in action in this heat.

Cathy Monji's Fairmont Prep, saddled by red-hot trainer Scott Willoughby, will make his 2-year-old debut in the evening's second race for $16,000 claimers.

Older horses with an affinity to the 550-yard distance will get a chance to shine in Saturday's $18,000 Brotherly Handicap. Eight runners will be in action in this race headed by 2006 Los Alamitos Super Derby finalist Armyguy. Racing for Butte Crest Ranch LLC, the First Down Dash gelding ran second to Grade 1 winner Diller A Dollar in the Barbra B Handicap earlier this year. Jimmy Glenn Jr. will saddle Armyguy, who'll be ridden by Jeff Williams. Bad Act, who ran second at this distance on April 6, also figures to contend. He ran third in both the 2007 The Moonshiner Handicap and 2006 Marathon Handicap.

Courtesy of Los Alamitos Race Course
Back to top Go down
Andy Gooding

Andy Gooding

Number of posts : 48

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2007, 12:30 am

Congrats to the Masters Call syndicate!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.andygoodingequine.com
Karen Cummings

Karen Cummings

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2007, 12:34 am

Masters Call looked and performed like the full brother to Check Him Out. Champion in the making. Congratulations to all the connections. cheering

First Icy Morn certainly ran a nice race also from the rail. Congratulations to his connections also. cheering
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

PostSubject: Masters Call article courtesy of Los Al   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2007, 9:53 pm

Week of: May 14, 2007

Sale Topper Wins Los Alamitos Career Debut

Masters Call (left) defeates First Icy Morn
(right) at Los Alamitos..
Photo by Scott MartinezLOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE, CYPRESS, CA—With one race in the books, Masters Call already looks to be worth every penny of the $485,000 price tag that was paid for him at last year's Los Alamitos Equine Sale, as he posted a spectacular maiden victory in Saturday's seventh race at 300 yards.
Owned by a syndication headed by Ed Allred and R.D. Hubbard, Masters Call left the gate in decent fashion, showed a solid burst of speed and then finished powerfully when posting a length victory over fellow Equine Sale graduates First Icy Morn and Monarch Pass. Ridden by Cody Jensen and trained by Paul Jones, Masters Call's winning time of :15.58 was highlighted by a final 220-yard clocking of :09.74.

"He had a slight stumble but he still got away either on top or at least with the leaders," said Cody Jensen. "I asked him to run and when he shifted gears, he took off. I was pretty proud of him."

Bred by Zory Kuzyk, the Hennessy colt out of Check Her Twice is owned by a syndication featuring Ed Allred, R.D. Hubbard, Sharon Brandsness, BR Livestock, Chuck & Terryll Griffeth, Ron Hartley, Zory Kuzyk, Lisa McMahon, Don Moler, Mark Parsons & Mark Parsons Jr. Harvey & Brenda Pickens, and Alessio, Brown & Davies Llc. He is a full brother to multiple Grade 1 winner Check Him Out, who was last year's leading freshman stallion. Masters Call will now be pointed to the trials to the Ed Burke Million Futurity to be held on Saturday, June 9.

Allred, Hartley and the Parsons represented the syndication in the winner's circle for Masters Call maiden victory. And they were all smiles. "I've never been in a syndication while the horse was still running so this very exciting for me," Hartley said. "Plus, we have an excellent group of people and the horse just ran out of sight at 300 yards when he's built to run 400, 440 yards. I thought he looked awesome at 300 yards."

It was Allred who purchased Masters Call for the sale-topping price last year. Shortly after, Allred decided that he wanted to share the opportunity to own this horse with other racing enthusiasts. He kept 25% ownership of the horse, sold another 25% to his good friend, Hubbard, and the rest was split and sold in 10 equal shares.

"After Doc Allred bought the horse, (Allred's stallion manager) Fred Scane asked me 'Do you want in?' I said, 'You bet!' And that was that," Hartley added.

Mark Parsons and his son, Mark Jr. and wife Mary, were thrilled to be on hand to watch their horse make his first career start. "This was so exciting and so much fun," Parsons said. "My wife has been busy on the internet talking about Masters Call to (syndicate member) Lisa McMahon, who lives in Tennessee, so whether it's here in California or back in Tennessee, we have a nice group of people having fun thanks to this horse.

"It's so neat to see what Dr. Allred has done with this horse," Parsons added. "He's given a lot of us an opportunity to enjoy something that could be pretty special. This has been quite an experience. I got nervous. The butterflies were there. You want his first start to be positive, but you never know. The horse did everything nicely.

"This horse has a great personality. He carries himself in a good way. He knows who he is. I'll tell you one thing about him, he loves women more than guys," he added with a smile. "He lets my wife pet him and interact with him a lot more than me."

"He's a neat horse," Mary Parsons added. "He's got a lot of personality and he's a very intelligent boy."

First Icy Morn, the runner-up in this race, was the $210,000 third highest seller while Monarch Pass, who ran third, was the ninth highest seller at $115,000. Smith, Cozby, Weston, Allred and Vessels Stallion Farm purchased first Icy Morn, a full brother to last year's Los Alamitos Two Million and Ed Burke Million Futurity finalist First Down Morn. Mike Joiner trains the Texas-bred black First Down Dashcolt.

Owned by Bradbury, Fairchild, Kessinger and Nichols, Monarch Pass is by First Down Dash out of Streakit Special. She ran second in the La Primera Del Ano Derby on the way to earning over $36,000. Monarch Pass is a full brother to stakes winners First Special Dash and Dashin With Johnny. First Special Dash won the QHBC Sophomore Classic and Florentine Handicap. She also ran second in the Grade 1 Golden State Derby. Dashin With Johnny won the Lone Star Park Stakes at 870 yards and also ran third in the Marathon Handicap.

Courtesy of www.losalamitos.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday   $485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

$485k colt running at Los Al on Saturday
Page 1 of 1