Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Halter

Go down 
+4
Bluejay
Lynn M.
7cedars
shazgeoff
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2007, 6:51 pm

can anyone recommend a good halter producer and how much they charge.im possibly thinking of keeping my Black filly over in the states and see if we can get some points on her before she comes over to the UK.Its just a thought at mo:!:
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2007, 10:20 pm

Where is the filly located - you don't have to give me the town, just the general vicinity. I'm sure all of us can figure out somebody for ya!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2007, 11:15 pm

Denny Hasset is here in KS then I could keep an eye on her for you flower there is another person here in the Wichita area who trained with Denny is supposed to be pretty good I don't know his name but can find out for you if you'd like... also Steve Martin I don't know if he just does pleasure or if he does halter as well has a pretty nice place...
Back to top Go down
B2

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 12:19 am

First off your going to have to decide on how much you want to spend on having someone show your filly. With the bigger names your of course going to get a much higher price cost for them to show your filly. So I guess the research can't start until you decide on that, then you go from there contact those people within your budget to see if they have a slot open for your yearling filly.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 10:31 am

Shiraz is in South Dakota.

I just need a rough price on what people charge as to know whether i can do it or not,if you know my meaning
Back to top Go down
B2

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 10:35 am

Well you can at least bet on spending a minimum of 450 which would be a low training fee. Then you have the added fees they may charge/will charge.

Mileage to shows
day fee
entries
stall
clipping/banding/prepping

Some trainers will not charge the prepping fee it may be in the price. I would figure at least 600 a month to fit and board your horse. Then the extra will be what I listed above.
Back to top Go down
B2

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 10:40 am

I looked on the aqha site and found this as far as South Dakota for halter trainers

BRIAN DALE VANDE KIEFT

AURORA, SOUTH DAKOTA
BRIANVK@ITCTEL.COM

GENE CARR

HAYTI, SOUTH DAKOTA SANTEE@DAILYPOST.COM
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 11:56 am

Hall show horses is here in Kechi KS supposes to be pretty good :cheers:he trained with Denny I could call for specifics as far as prices if youd like no biggy KS isnt that far from SD we could help you figure out a way to get her here... Just a thought...
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 12:32 pm

I would also try to get her in an area where there are a lot of shows going on. Oregon only has a handful of shows. CA has them everywhere all the time as an example. You will also want to make sure you have a winning shank on her. Some trainers are not that good and they do not lead to the front of the line. Just a few more things to add to what you need to consider when choosing a trainer. You do want the $$$ you pay out to pay off for you.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 1:02 pm

I agree with everyone, also
Ask So many Questions? Get it in writing.
Who is the farrier, contact them to make sure the trainer is not charging extra just to hold the horse.
How much for banding manes? Clipping, wrapping legs, Baths, Etc. Try to avoid hidden expences.
To prepare a horse to be hauled is there a charge?
Milage per mile when hauling.
Do they charge to show your horse per trip in the ring. Now is she goes in for grand and res. is that another trip in the ring, or is that included.
Some trainers do not charge to show your horse just the trip charge.
Are you charged the hotel costs and meals? If so is this cost divided between all clients?
It maybe worth your while to leave the Area that you filly is in for a trainer, Check the journal for shows that you see less traveling time, less milage with in a certain area but more shows. You would have more shows, less milage and if you do find a trainer in that area. It would save you money in the long run. Most halter trainers, If they are close enough to home they just haul back, so therefore you do not have the added extra expience of Hotels, meals and stalling.
Vet bills, ask for copies of vet bills FROM the vet. The invoices. Also from the farrier. Not the bill from the trainer, but from the vet and farrier them -selves. Ask that unless, it is a emergancy you would rather have the vet called when other horses are being seen so the farm charge will be split between all the clients in the barn. Sometime the trainer will charge every client a trip charge instead of just one. Another way for them to put alittle more money in there pocket. Now I do know of a couple of trainers here in Kentucky. They are the Statons. And they do get points on a horse. They have won the world and a youth just won Congress in 2006 plus just about everything they showed, placed or won congress or the world. We are lucky enough to be able to haul about every week and not get more than 2 - 2 1/2 hours from home. Let me know if your interested and I'll have them call you, on their penny. Smile You can ask all the questions you want and have them pay for it.. Hee Hee. I think they charge 500.00 to 550.00. Hope this is a help. Just don't leave any stone unturned. So you have no suprises...
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 1:22 pm

Andy Staton worked in Ted Turners Barn for 2 plus years.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 4:38 pm

Crying or Very sad thanks for all that guys:(

Triple J
also thanks,i think she may well have to come home,im glad you went into all that detail as i wouldnt have realised.Trainers over here dont charge for meal expense`s etc.Its a shame as i would like her to go to a trainers but i will fit her up myself and show her in and in Europe.Sounds like this will be the better plan:lol:
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 1:03 am

So much involed mostly $$$$$$$$$ And, you may end up with that sweet things head messed up. I think you have made a wise decision for her.. I have seen your halter horses and you do a good job... Very Happy

I can only speek for trainers in my area.. I have not meant one I would send my horse too.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 1:04 am

I do have to say the girl who fit my weanlings last year did an honest days work. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 6:35 am

thanks for that Bluejay.i will be bringing her home and do the Halter fittening myself,my others i did casually not seriously.So i will put my work into her and do it properly.

Poss fligjht date is feb 23 but all depends on the weather your end,heres keeping my fingers crossed:cheers:
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 7:09 am

we are supposed to be getting a break from our deep freeze this weekend so hopefully youll be able to get her soon!
Back to top Go down
standbytrucker

standbytrucker

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2007-02-22

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2007, 10:58 pm

Triple J

we were stalled with Andy this year at congress!! He is one funny guy!!! We had a blast with him, he treated everyone with so much respect and his horses were out of this world...and I would recommend him as a great trainer to anyone in his area!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 7:28 am

I tell ya something, you guys; after this last weekend and a many-time over World Champion halter person looking at Scamp, and her telling me I need to take him to so and so, he knows the vets that'll give the horse "that stuff," but it doesn't hurt the horse, and when he's truly fit, he can go for $10-$15,000.

I probably was literally standing there with my mouth wide open.... as far as I'm concerned, it's people like that that have ruined halter. Because if that's what it takes, I won't be a part of it. Ruin a horse just for a title just boggles my mind. I hope the performance halter class comes back and bites them in the butt big time!

I also hear Carol Rose is fixing to take halter by storm with her horses...good! I've seen a lot of her horses, and oooweee, there's fixing to be a heck of a turn on things.

From the grapevine, I also heard that AQHA's new pres has told these judges, here's a picture of a true halter horse, it'd better look like this, because he's fixing to start pulling judge's cards.

This guy from Colorado that's getting Scamp said that he'd bought a colt from so and so, and that within 30 days he was dead. They'd sent up some "feed" for him, and when he got his vet to test it, it had steroids and some other stuff in it. You guys be real careful out there what you're buying... good Lord!
Back to top Go down
B2

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 7:52 am

I would say that guy has a court case then, with a report from the vet stating there was steriods etc in the feed he sent with the horse he sold him the horse died from that then he better darn well sue.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 7:59 am

I think he did...it was like 3 or 4 years ago. To tell you the truth, you could tell he was still PO'd as all get out about it, and I don't blame him.

You know, it's kind of one of those things that you know it's going on, but you really can't believe it. I will never understand why people, in any discipline, will ruin a horse just to get a title.

AQHA needs to up their tests to test for this mess that's being hidden, and test more horses. At all the shows I've been to, I've never seen a horse being tested yet!
Back to top Go down
B2

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 8:11 am

They test, but they test the innocent people. I have talked at length with my judge friend about drug testing. It a very rare thing for the ones using the crap to get tested because well money talks.

Every discipline has the horror stories attached to it and the horses suffer. The judges are pretty savy in knowing what it took to get that horse to do or look like it does yet they place them thus telling the rest of us what we have to do in order to win. Condoning it is what they are doing and promoting it.

Cutting tendons between the front legs, fixing a club foot, a parrot mouth injecting them with testostorne, pig hormones hooking them up to IV's <right at the shows no less> draining their blood, with holding water, tying heads up all night in a corner so they can't lift their heads, putting headsets on them at home that cut into their polls to make the horse give up and never raise its head for fear of pain, riding them in hobbles and the list goes on.

All of the above continue to happen because other people see what the winners are doing. I have heard it said that the judges only place whats in front of them, well that isn't the truth from most of what I have seen. I do not see every show in every state but I have seen enough shows to know judges are still encouraging the horses who are being hurt to win.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 8:37 am

Well, I can tell you one thing, if I ever see any of that mess going on, and I've got my camera with me, I'll be taking some pictures, or picking up the phone.

What I don't understand on these breeders, heck, if they die early, they get a reputation for producing those kinds of horses. Seems to me, the more they win FAIR, the better off they'd be. I just don't get it.

I may not win all the time, and that's fine; but I know one thing, my horse will still be alive two years down the road. Kind of like seeing weanling and yearlings and even 2-year olds blow up, and you never ever hear from them again. Which I think is a total shame!
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 9:46 am

No sadly this goes on here to,not really the drug side of things cause we cant get those drugs over here,but i bet someone,somehow has.
Ive watched some pretty barbaric riding in a warm up arena when they thought no-one was watching.But cause they a well known trainer what chance does little old me have complaining,NONE.Thus making my life hell in the showring.

Having learnt what i have,i make sure a horse im looking at to buy from the states has a full blood work done.

Some people stop at nothing just for a ribbon,my horse comes first and gets treated as such.They are not machines for glory only.No
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 11:42 am

That is sad to hear about these practices... I know there are bad things in all disciplines but it is nice to know my 10 yr old stallion is safe, sane and sound and able to compete at his age. There are times he gets a little sore all performance horses will but then he gets pulled and time off including trail riding, pasture time and just basic down time, he comes back fresh and ready to go... I wish all stallions could get a chance to get out of the confinements of a stall I know I would go absolutely crazy...
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2007, 2:12 pm

I agree, Lynn. All horses, including show horses, need down time, time to just be a horse. When I get through showing mine in the Fall, they'll go out every day, weather permitting to run and romp, hair up, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Halter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halter   Halter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next