Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Performance halter - good or not?

Go down 
+3
RoperChick
PHENOMADACIOUS
7cedars
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Performance halter - good or not? Empty
PostSubject: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 2:16 pm

Saw this subject on another forum I'm a member of. And they threw an awful lot of insight into the situation, ones that are actually showing right now. From Phenom's experience this past weekend, I don't think it'll be a thing where the stallions are affected so much, unless the ropers and reiners get in there, versus say the mares and geldings.

Now, I'll have to say, until I actually get in there, will I know whether I actually like it or not; if I don't, too bad, it'll just be something that I'll have to get used to. But as far as halter mares and geldings and there being a performance halter class - I think that's absolutely great, for both halter and performance horses.

First off, it fills the classes, both disciplines are represented; and I think it'll depend on what kind of judge you get, whether they like a more performance-type or a halter-type as far as grand and reserve. Whichever way it goes, though, whoever gets grand and reserve should get some awesome points. Which is a good thing for all disciplines.

What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 2:20 pm

Quote :
Whichever way it goes, though, whoever gets grand and reserve should get some awesome points.

I didn't think of it that way!scratch
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 2:25 pm

Somebody may need to correct me here, but don't you actually get more points for grand and reserve because there's so many "in the class" so to speak? I'm not real sure how that works.

Say like instead you got a half a point for grand, now you'd get a whole point? I'm just not sure, though. Anybody know the info on that?
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 2:40 pm

The grand horse will get one whole point more than the highest class point earning horse in the sex division...the Reserve will get 1/2 point more than the highest point earner.rabbit
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 3:43 pm

I assume you are talking about the Grand & Reserve classes, since to be in the Performance Halter class you have to have your performance ROM. I love that the AQHA has finally added perf halter. I would really like to get Zane out there, but it's hard to justify foregoing a roping to go to a show where you don't win money. Points are nice, but Zane is a gelding and isn't in the incentive fund, so showing doesn't help pay the bills.

This is my opinion, so no need to flame here, but I have a problem with the conformation traits, that many (not all) halter horses have. With posty hocks, straight pasterns etc. many of these halter horses would never hold up to hard riding nor would they be fun to ride. I feel a halter horse should not only look good, but should be built to perform and hold up. I doubt it will happen very often, but if the performance horses start going grand over the halter horses, maybe it will convince people to breed out what I think are some undersireable traits in the halter horses.

Again, these are simply my opinions, when I look at horses, I'm looking at them with performance in mind, not halter. I've seen some halter horses out there that are gorgeous, but I've also seen some that have what I consider to be major faults in mind and/or body.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 4:17 pm

Roperchick, very well stated. I have a mare that I traded for last year, that the halter owners didn't like her because she wasn't posty enough. I like her fine the way she is; lots of bone, good top and bottom line, ties in nice and high in the chest, etc., and isn't posty. She can also run like the dickens. I've seen halter horses that people go gah-gah over that I can't quite figure out what all the hopplah's about, to tell you the truth.

I've had more rope-type versatility horses than I have halter horses; used to breed them, in fact, with the paints. I had own sons and daughters of versatility champions. I've seen a lot of heading horses, that I'd like to grab and take into the halter ring. I think maybe because each discipline has become so specialized, that it's hard to win at both. Rick's just about got me talked in to keeping Scamp for a while, try to get some points on him in halter, and then put him in some performance classes. I don't know if we'll be able to do it at the same time, but we'll try. And because we have more friends that are ropers say versus WP or HUS, we'll more likely put him into that. I know one of Kid's sons from his first foal crop is fixing to go into roping training, and I'm real interested to see how he does. Scamp's full sister is fixing to go into WP training and then they'll show her in halter as an aged mare, or at least that's what they're hoping to do.

Maybe with halter changing, hopefully, and of course, always depending on the tastes of the judge, we can see things changing a bit.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2007, 11:21 pm

If they get a performance halter class do we get a Halter Pleasure class... Hee Hee Smile Boy I could see it now.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2007, 12:36 am

Strictly IMHO, I think performance halter is a great idea.

IMO I like the looks of many halter bred horses, but like Roperchick, I think they should be able to perform, not just look pretty. And many of the halter horses out there today are not bred to do anything but that. A good using horse, is worth its weight in gold, and I hope that performance halter can bring more of this aspect into the halter world.... Also it keeps the halter classes open and filled! Very Happy

I also hope, if the performance horses start placing above the halter horses, then maybe they would start to breed their halter horses a bit differently, and maybe then we could all walk as far away as possible from HYPP.

Just my opinion... But I look forward to getting a chance to show performance halter Very Happy
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2007, 1:15 am

PHENOMADACIOUS wrote:
The grand horse will get one whole point more than the highest class point earning horse in the sex division...the Reserve will get 1/2 point more than the highest point earner.rabbit

I am betting that the performance halter classes have more entries then the normal halter classes, so if the halter horse goes grand the owner will be really happy...if the performance horse goes grand I am thinking they are going to not be as happy point wise.

I may be wrong but I am thinking the Per Halter will have alot more entries at most of the local club shows.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2007, 10:44 am

Quote :
maybe they would start to breed their halter horses a bit differently, and maybe then we could all walk as far away as possible from HYPP.
LOL, to me the key word here was "WALK" I'd be happy if half the halter horses we compete against, and see at the show could even do that! I swear, nothing burns my chaps more than seeing "the winner" limp out of the ring! Evil or Very Mad

Quote :
I am betting that the performance halter classes have more entries then the normal halter classes
I hope you're right Tara, anything to help up the sex division numbers;) At our AQHA show last weekend there wasn't a single stud for P.H. ..which bugged me because I could have used an extra 5-10 minutes! ..you may recall I wasn't SUPER on time Rolling Eyes I wish I would have paid more attention to the mare and gelding P.H. classes... I pretty sure they were good sized... I know a friend of mine finished out the superior on her mare with just one of her grands because she got 5 points for it, I'm sure P.H. had a lot to do with that Wink
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2007, 10:49 am

>>she got 5 points for it, I'm sure P.H. had a lot to do with that Wink<<

I would imagine it was the ph that gave that high of a point award since that would have ment there were 25 horses plus in the same sex highest pointed class. WOW that is where us halter people will get some good pointage is if we can grab the grand or reserve.
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2007, 10:53 am

Oh and I agree on the if they can walk comment, I sat at the aqha world show this year watching the halter classes and I was sick at how they could barely walk. One mare walked like she didn't know she had front legs, I asked my friend what is wrong with that horse her reply was blocked/nerved wow that is just sad.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 10:38 am

Stupid question here. Are they also going to do an open performance halter class? I don't know why, but after seeing some of those trainers act the way they did at one particular show, after the judge judged a particular way, I'd be real interested to see how they'll act when they've got a bunch of different disciplines showing in open for grand and reserve.

Okay, so someone please explain this to me.

Example: 2 and under mares - 10 mares in the HALTER class
3 and over mares - 10 mares in the HALTER class
2 and under mares - 10 mares in PERFORMANCE HALTER class
3 and over mares - 10 mares in the PERFORMANCE HALTER class

How many points will the grand and reserve get?
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 10:49 am

10 horses in a class means that class the winner would get 2 points so if grand or reserve would get 1 point more then the highest pointed same sex/age class I think the grand would get 3 points and the reserve 2 points.

Numbers aren't my thing but I think that is right.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 11:18 am

Thanks, Tara, for explaining that. I'm like, come out of the ring going... okay, so what'd I get? Half the time, I have to ask Rick how they placed me if there's more than one judge.

Course, I'm also the type person that has to write my danged number on my hand, so I can remember who the heck I am.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 12:58 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the reserve would get 2.5 points in that example... also, the performance classes (here anyway) weren't divided into age groups....
My show bill from last weekend:
Open Performance mares all ages
Open yearling mares
Open 2 yr old mares
Open 3 year old mares
Open aged mares
Open mares G & R
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 2:52 pm

Well, heck so these let's say, long yearling mares, who were shown in lounge-line who already have an ROM, and two-year old mares have to go in with all the mares... oh, heck! No

Definitely my plan with Jazz is, is to try and get enough points on her this year, at least hopefully an ROM, hopefully! And if she doesn't hit the 15'2 1/2 or 15'3 mark by the time she's 3, well, he goes in the broodmare band. Those gosh danged 3 and over mare and gelding class is ... well, those things are just monsters! Heck, most of them are usually bigger than the stallions.
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 3:21 pm

Lungeline does not count as far as being able to go into PO halter. In fact I dont think AQHA gives points for LL? Either way it does not classify as a class you can use to get into PO
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 3:30 pm

That's right, Tara, I remember you guys talking about that before. Wonder why it's not an official AQHA class?

So 2 year old mares and geldings up would be in the performance halter class, right, and that's only if a 2-year old mare has already got some ROM on say, WP or showmanship...interesting.
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 3:36 pm

Yes, I would imagine that most 2 yr olds IF they will go in the PO halter it wouldnt be until late in the year. I am guessing it will mostly be 3 yr olds and up. Not sure I like the idea of all ages in the same PO halter class though.

I don't think I like the effect this is going to have on the normal halter classes. In most states it is hard to get a pointed halter class to begin with now I think those numbers will drop a little which is hurtful.

The only saving grave will be to get the grand or reserve otherwise we will be poop out of luck.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 5:42 pm

I agree, Tara. My experience has been with the stallion class, and truthfully, if you didn't get grand or reserve, well, that's just too danged bad, you just gave all your show money away, literally. Especially in aged stallions ... criminey.

So if most of the PH classes are going to be mares and geldings aged 3 and up, if you say had a yearling filly and she got grand or reserve, that'd be some whopping points. However.... well, let's just put it this way, shooting for grand and reserve is the key.

I think as far as halter classes go, we're going to have to really check out the shows and judges before we go. Course, I still don't think I've shown under the same judge twice yet.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 8:55 pm

[color=white]
Quote :
[color:fad6=white:fad6]The only saving grave will be to get the grand or reserve otherwise we will be poop out of luck.

You said it! cheers

Quote :
I think as far as halter classes go, we're going to have to really check out the shows and judges before we go. Course, I still don't think I've shown under the same judge twice yet.

Really? In August I showed under judge Hill, and then in October I showed under him again. I think AQHA has a rule where a judge can't judge within like 100 miles of where they've judged in the past 6 or 12 monthes...sorry, my memory is fuzzy on the details Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2007, 10:03 pm

At least, not that I know of. Now, this year, I'll probably hit the same ones, I sure one in particular, I hit ... whew!

I'm going to hold my decision on whether I like it or not, depending on if I get beat or I win... HA!
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Preformance Halter   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 11:41 am

Well for some one who shows only halter I think its not going to matter one way or the other the youth points should be great ,lets understand something you can not get you r ROM on a Friday and show pref.halter on Saturday you have to have some kind of proof from AQHA in print saying you have a ROM you keeping track of your point will not be good enough ,
you are going to have to show something official to the show staff to show that class so AQHA should have there hand s full and there fax machines running full force I hope there ready for the pressure I looking foward to that youth preformance class of 30 or so showing with that youth halter class for Grand and reserve the points should be awesome ....
here is my question are you allowed to show both preformance halter and
regular halter in the same show ????????
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 11:46 am

No you will not be able to show your horse in both at the same show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Performance halter - good or not?   Performance halter - good or not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Performance halter - good or not?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next