Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Congress cut???

Go down 
+5
lovetoshow
Triple J Quarter Horses
REINING CHICK
SilverBuckleHorses
PHENOMADACIOUS
9 posters
AuthorMessage
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 11:09 am

Can someone actually DEFINE it for me? study
I'm trying to find a new show halter for Phenom, and I have NO IDEA what he needs! scratch I just know my $400, 12 yr old circle Y isn't getting the job done, it won't reach behind his jowls... and it even has the bendy stuff inside the leather! scratch

Thanks! cheers
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 11:22 am

The congress cut halter is a lot more adjustable than your standard halter, it's basically your normal halter but it adjusts under the chin as well, which will help you with fitting it on Phenom's jowls like needed, it can make the halter fit farther back if you need it. It's nice because not every horse's head is the same length.

This is a standard halter:
http://i13.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/93/39/9307_1.JPG

notice it is only adjustable four ways.

This is a congress cut:
http://www228.pair.com/tammyt/18_9016WeanlingWeanlingFullView.jpg

notice the adjustment on the piece of leather on the bottom, that runs from the chin attatchments all the way under their jowl.

That's basically the 411, congress cut will give you a much better fit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 11:55 am

lol i always wondered the same thing. now i know. and that knowing is half the battle GI JOE!!!!!!!! LOL JK

albino
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 12:16 pm

My Kathys Reg cut has the same Adjustments. As my Harris Congress Cut weanling halter. I think it just depends on the brand, Dont you? You can use the differant cut of leather and silver to give a differant look for your horse. Depending on its head. Id think a plain headed horse, that needs just a bit more attention drawn to it, Id go reg. cut. If you have a really nice headed horse and want to show off the horses head, and needs alittle refinement Id go Congress cut. If you have a large headed horse, and then refinement would make it look even larger, then Id go Reg. Cut. I have a Dale Chavez Congress cut, Another quality halter, I like it alot. but they do run alittle bigger in size I have found. I like all of these brands. They are quality leather and are finished nicely. The silver on the Harris is real, so it does require polish. The Kathys and Chavez is easier to clean, A damp cloth and its ready to go.
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

Number of posts : 57

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: hALTER   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 1:12 pm

You can always call Harris Leather and they will help you measure for a proper fitting halter thats what I did last year .They were a great help and I got it pretty fast , They are great people to work with ........
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 2:54 pm

I think it depends on the brand.

I know for Kathy's halters, the Congress Cut is tapered towards the rings. Kind of flared over the nose & on the cheeks. It also adds the half moons between the nose & cheek pieces. The regular cut has straight leather pieces and no half moons.

This is the first time I've ever heard about the adjustments... I think most show halters are the 5-way adjustable regardless of whether they are congress or regular cut. Just from my experience, could be wrong. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pistol2012

Pistol2012

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 3:27 pm

i also thought that is had to do with the tapering of the leather on the head piece. i thought it had to do with the half moon thing but a lot of classic cut halters have those. i was looking at show halters on sstack and this congress cut halter isn't 5-way adjustable.

http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=9102&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=38&iProductID=9102

and here is a classic cut halter thats 5-way adjustable

http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2301&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=38&iProductID=2301
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 4:04 pm

Congress Cut IS THE tapering of the leather going to the rings.

On grown-up horses, I like the halter cut, but not real thick leather, so ya kinda got to watch that. Phenom's got a great head, so be on the look-out for the width of the nose and cheek piece being too wide.

On weanlings all the way up to 2-year olds, I like a straight cut, thinner width on the nose and cheek piece.... if I've got a great head, I want to show it off.

but if I've got a big-headed sucker, I'd definitely want it real wide and heavy!

Kelly, here's a little trick for ya that I saw being done at a show... put your halter on, see where it divides up by his jaw...mark it! Now, take it off, and get you a piece of hay wire, I kid you not, and wrap that sucker about two or three times... don't worry, they won't be able to see it, boy, you talk about making a stud's jaw pop out and the halter fitting just right!!!!! On the other hand, the heck with it, buy another halter! HA!
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

Number of posts : 97

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2007, 1:09 pm

PHENOMADACIOUS

what size are you looking for?

I prefer the Congress cut on the young ones, shows the head better. But on the 2yr old and aged mare, we use the Kathy's regular...

I have a kathy's and a chavez we are considering selling.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2007, 1:47 pm

Hey OLF,
I'm looking for something that will fit Phenom (aged stallion 16.3 HH)...my Circle Y is completely adjustable, not cc, but it still won't reach around his jowls scratch ...to put it plainly, the lugg's got a big head pig , but at least it matches the rest of him Embarassed something that helped make his head a little more dainty would be nice Wink
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2007, 3:07 pm

OK the Kathy's would be too small, but the chavez might do it... as its too big for my mares.... i'll see if I can get you some photos and measurements tonite...
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2007, 1:41 pm

Hey again OLF,
is that halter 3-way adjustable? scratch
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2007, 5:12 pm

Probably is, Kell. The Dale Chavez I have for Kid with the Texas stars on it is. I'm wondering if it's going to fit Jazz... oh, crap, I think I ought to find out before I take her to a show... you reckon? HA!
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2007, 9:08 am

Yes I believe it is, have to climb thru the trailer and find it first....snow piles are just about gone around here.
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2007, 9:33 am

No hurry! I know that battle all to well! ..and after the snow, ya get the mud! Grrr! Shocked
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 10:29 am

I have some one at the barn that is showing interest in the halter, I'll let you know as soon as i know if its still available, give ma a day or so...

in the meantime, check out this one... email them for measurements,
great deal and gorgeous halter from what i can see....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Exqusite-new-Circle-Y-Show-halter-horse-size_W0QQitemZ110107387474QQcategoryZ47307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Congress cut??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congress cut???   Congress cut??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Congress cut???
Page 1 of 1