Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-02-08

7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Empty
PostSubject: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2007, 4:02 pm

You mentioned that both your boys are going to be playing varsity football next year (by the way, those are two fine looking boys). I just wanted to know a little about Texas football. Is it really as intense down there as they say? I started watching that show last fall on TV, "Friday Night Lights" and I loved it but I have a committment problem with most shows! I'll watch for a month and then quit. Is it like that to any extent?
What position do your boys play? I love high school sports. In Michigan, basketball is king, though. My boy plays varsity center(he is tight end in football) and it is definitely a year round committment at most schools, what with AAU in the spring and team camps and tournaments all summer then right into 10 hours of football camp every day in August then the football season ends in November and basketball tryouts start the next Monday!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2007, 4:33 pm

Oh, girl, you'll start me on something here. Thanks for the comment on the boys... Dillon (the youngest) is now officially, as of this past Thurs. at the doc's office, 6'1, 236 pounds. Little pookie.

Uh, yeah, football rules down here. Intense, girl, are you kidding! You know how many athletic directors we've had in the last four years? Four! Some of these danged in-bred people want the wanna-be's, us newer people want people with background and experience - okay, better not get me on that subject.

Trent's played both offense and defense since 7th grade till this past Fall - stupid coach! Now, he's playing straight offense. I'm not real sure about what their position is, but on the offensive line, Dillon is beside the center; Trent is two down from the center or at the end. On defense, Trent plays on the line and Dillon is beside him. (that's when they were both playing on JV). Gilmer, is the school district of our town (though the boys don't go there)... they've won state a lot, and had, I think like 15-20 kids that have just received D-1 scholarships. I think their QB is the top in the nation. Trent has never been the biggest on the team, but he's always been the meanest.

It'll be freaky this Fall, because I'll have to keep up with both of them at the same time. I can't watch the game, I stay totally zoned in on my kid, period! Now watching two of them is going to be a bit tricky like it was year before last, but Dillon didn't play as much then - couldn't find those size 13 feet... HA!

In football, to me, the most neatest of all, is the parent socialization. Now, course you got your cliques there, but there's about six or seven parents of kids that are Trent's age, that we're super close! The boys are constantly taking turns spending nights everywhere. Last night, with Dillon, I had seven boys here - but they're so hilarious! Rick came in this morning and said... I have no where to drink my coffee, there's boys everywhere (he had gone to bed before they all got here). I told him to go in my office... HA!

But if you ever get to watch the real movie, Friday Night Lights, uh, yep, that's football in Texas - they take it very, very seriously! I think we have like what, seven coaches for a danged 2A school... jeesh!

Sorry for the speech, but you asked! HA!
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2007, 5:18 pm

Oh, definitely in Texas, football is king. The whole town gets super into it, and Friday night, you can pretty much guess where most of (at least the smaller towns) will be-the stadium.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 2:18 pm

I can, Its TEXAS

THE FOOT BALLS ARE BIGGER! No "not really"
THE GOALS ARE BIGGER cheers Its Good!

Theres more TOUCHDOWNS! No "well?"

THE PLAYERS ARE BIGGER and Meaner Twisted Evil

THE MOTHERS YELL LOUDER queen

THEY KICK HIGHER Shocked
THEY TACKLE HARDER affraid Here they come!
The Cheerleaders cheer better cheers

Like a Star @ heaven Its TEXAS Like a Star @ heaven , ITS BIGGER AND BETTER! Right 7 Ceders! Laughing
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 2:25 pm

Well, I'm not too sure about these cheerleaders - okay, at least ours. Half the time the football guys on the sidelines are the ones who are getting the crowd into it... cheerleaders just seem to sort of lull around.

And yep, when your son's in a fight or hurt on the field, it's real REAL hard not to take to the field. Got tickeled at a friend of mine; her daughter's in a different school doing volleyball during football, so they're usually a bit late for the football game. Darned near second play, her son, who I claim as mine, just 'cuz he's red-headed, gets hurt... we're all on our cell phones calling them up... HA! Keeping them abreast of things, but he was okay.

Some of these kids are just flat monsters, they look at least 25. When mom and dad took the boys down to an Aggie football game, Trent came back saying, Mom, those guys on the line, their arms are bigger than both of my legs put together... HA!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 3:08 pm

Yeah, football in Texas sounds about as intense as I thought it would be!! I was just thinking about it because they just had signing day a few days ago (when HS kids get to finally sign with their college for scholarships) and they mentioned that Texas had the most kids getting D-1 scholarships by far. I have also seen the movie version of Friday Night Lights, by the way, and I enjoyed it too. Well , I definitely want to hear the scores next fall. My son graduates next year but my husband and I will probably be lifelong basketball and football fans. My husband also graduated from the same school where my son plays and he also played sports. Tonight if the weather lets up and they don't cancel the game we will be heading to Battle Creek to watch our son. His basketbal team is now 15-0 and ranked third in the state. Go Lancers!!
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 4:06 pm

I love HS football season here in Texas! When I was in HS our team was 5A or maybe 4A. I guess because that was a bigger school. We use to go "Flaggin". That has been a tradition since the 60's. Our school was South Garland, and our team was the Colonels. So naturally, being in the south our flag was a confederate flag.

Flaggin was to get the players and basically the whole stadium pumped. I loved it.

We would meet at the lake, go over the plan and off we were with our trucks and flags. We started at the lake and drove across town, traffic pulled over and honked and hooted us on and let us lead them to the stadium. Then we would drive up the grass hill and rev up everyone. The people in the bleachers would do a salute and start whooping and hollering. And the refs knew that was the sign to start up.

The spirit in HS football is big down here. I dont think that it will ever change, and I hope it doesnt!

Sorry for the thread jack, but it made me remember HS and those beloved " Friday Night Lights ".
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 5:43 pm

No problem, B&B, you know how it is...

Stockman, I sure hope your boys do well in B-ball. Kind of funny, my mother played college B-ball, two sisters played college ball, even one sister played for the Houston Cougarettes. I was sure hoping Trent would play B-ball, but he says they run too much... I'm like, more than football? GAWD! Even have a brother-in-law, who's a B-ball coach at a 4-A pr 3A school and one of my sisters coaches B-ball down at Houston.

I absolutely love watching basketball. Have gone to see our team this year, although we need another coach, he's way past his prime. Hoepfully he'll retire this year, so our boys can have a really good coach this next year. Any coach that takes players to Hooters needs to go, in my opinion.

I know in even Oklahoma, B-ball is pretty popular. It's still popular down here, it's just a lot of people turn out for football. Sure hope your boys win STATE!!!!!
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 6:26 pm

Well, they had a game tonight but they had to cancel it because of weather. That's the second time they have had to cancel this same game. And it's going to be one of their most challenging games so far! I have to say, though, I was dreading a two-hour drive to get there in white-out conditions! The snow is really blowing and we'll probably get 6-8 inches more tonight. But I shouldn't complain too much- at least I don't live in upstate New York! Today the state rankings came out- we are ranked 3rd in state.
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 6:28 pm

I meant to say, I enjoy hearing everyone's memories of Texas football! I sure it's a big part of every school there and such a tradition!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2007, 7:44 pm

Well, personally, I've never seen a white-out, but I've heard about 'em, and I'm glad you guys and those kids won't be on the road!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football   7Cedars, Tell us about Texas  HS football Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

7Cedars, Tell us about Texas HS football
Page 1 of 1