Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Texas Hay

Go down 
+2
7cedars
Cindy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 2:49 pm

HELP! I have 8 bales left of awesome hay and I need more! I'm willing to drive to get. Looking for about 60 -70 bales. It MUST be excellent quality though. Kidd, 7 cedars????? HELP!! My hay guy is out for another few months. OUCH!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 2:53 pm

You need to call every danged feed store you can come up with as far as phone #'s... usually somebody will know somebody else.

I'm stuck with alfalfa for $12 a bale... makes me sick!

I can tell you one danged thing though, just as soon as I get me a big flatbed gooseneck trailer, you can betcha I'm fixing to start going up north and getting my own hay. Even if I save a $1.00 a bale, it'd be worth it... I wish I had some place to store it, because I could make a killing off this stuff! Jeesh!

And when you find one, ask them if they'll hold whatever till you get there, may even have to do it with a credit card! Had to do that the other day to a Jake's Feed... aggravated me! My normal hay supplier, I just say I'm coming and I want so and so bales, and they'll hold them for me! Thank GAWD!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 2:56 pm

Our local feed stores are few and far between and they are $10 a bale and they are crap. yuck, yuck, yuck. Even it it was good they have a 2 bale limit and you have to buy feed too. I bought 18 bgs of Strategy and got 10 bales of hay! WOW!!!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 2:57 pm

I've got GOOD news!!!!!!!!!!

I have one heck of a hay guy!!! He is in Anderson which is a bit of a drive for you...BUT he is super nice and when I needed hay in DECEMBER he is the one that came through with some super nice stuff!

I'm not sure what exactly he has right now but I'm pretty sure it is first cutting crud - even then though I usually buy enough of first cutting to get me to 2nd cutting...
If Anderson isn't too far away, send me a PM and I'll give you his number...
FYI - Anderson is about 35-40 minutes away from Hempstead (if that helps you any)
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:20 pm

If you can find a buckeye dealer close by try the Wrangler feed it is a complete feed and if you are paying that for hay use this product to help minimize your hay consumption (you could do w/o hay but I can't wrap my brain around that personally). This is an alafalfa/timothy hay product with some other goodies as well, we supplmented our pasture horses that eat round bales during the winter and were loosing weight with that really bad cold snap they picked up weight and did so great we bought 1 ton of it and they eat it like candy... I love this product!!!!! The cubes aren't very big the size of a large pellet. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:23 pm

Hmmm, never heard of that brand, but I'll look around. I buy alfalfa chopped up in bags for $10 per 50lbs and I've been using that as a hay extender, but our weather is going to be getting to hot to quick to keep them on it.
Thank's Kidd! Got your PM!!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:30 pm

Cindy I would bet you could find Buckeye in Houston have them order you some Wrangler to use as an extender you will love it I swear..... With the timothy to cut the alfalfa a bit good thing I would think about $10-12 for a 50 lb bag...- oh then try your little guy on their foal starter pellets when he is ready those little ones love that stuff....
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:33 pm

I also feed alfalfa cubes - I love those buggers...my paint thinks they are a treat lol! he may have 2 scoops of them in his feed bin but if it is coming from my hand it is a TREAT cheers He's a dork and a half!

The only ones that get alfalfa are the broodmares...the others may get some if the hay isn't up to par but otherwise it is Mommas only (and the dang paint since he keeps the girls company)!!!
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:36 pm

I know you said you would drive for it, but this may be too far for you. There is a place in Weatherford called Hay USA. She has some of the best stuff around. They are the big 3 string bales, well over 10 pounds and if I remember right, they are about $18 a bale. Well worth the money, and the drive. She has Timothy, Alfalfa, Coastal-Bremuda, and Chaff Hay.

Then there is another place in Dallas. Right across the street from Lone Star Park. Its called California Hay. They have the exact same stuff for the same price.

Here a regular small bale is $11.99. For only $6 more, you get about triple that, plus its top quality to boot.

Just a thought, and if you didnt mind the drive, it would be well worth it!
Just bring your truck and the biggest flat bed you can find, and you will be set for the whole summer, even into fall. Thats where we get ours.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:41 pm

you can also supplement with shredded beet pulp I haven't done it and don't know the routine but have heard it does work well as a filler...
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:48 pm

There's a guy in Brookshire (maybe what, 30 min. from you?) called, I'm not joking, The Hay Man. Seems like a good place to start Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:52 pm

Hehe, The Hay Man - geesh... lol! Around here that is as important as the Rain Man....

Granted I do refer to Sidney as "MY Hay Man" - he's saved my butt so many times!!!!! I get pretty possesive when it comes to my hay... Dancing
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 3:59 pm

we refer to ours as the "hay god"
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 4:02 pm

It is a bit frightening that they have sooooo much power.... Yikes!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 5:38 pm

My regular hay guy in in my cell phone as "HAYMAN" lol!
Back to top Go down
LovingLoping

Number of posts : 115

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 5:47 pm

At my old barn, they grew their own hay, but this extremely attractive young man would come and bail it. Boy, my friends and I made to sure go trailriding through the back pastures on those days Shocked Rudy got over a fear of those big ol' machines realllll quick. Hey, a girl's got a right to dream Cool
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2007, 6:21 pm

I got an email from a lady in Red Oak, TX that she has 500 bales of straight coastal 2 string bales 70lbs each, from FL that is clean for $9.50 picked up. Just FYI for ya'll in that area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Texas Hay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Hay   Texas Hay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Texas Hay
Page 1 of 1