Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The future of the Halter Horse.

Go down 
+6
standbytrucker
Lynn M.
Cindy
Bucks&Blues
7cedars
Triple J Quarter Horses
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2007, 7:49 pm

lovetoshow, I just checked my email, and I havent gotten them yet. Sometimes it takes a while for them to come through. As soon as I get them, I'll post them for you.
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Thanks   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2007, 7:55 pm

The weather here is terrible high winds my power keeps flickering off and on ,nasty nasty nasty wish spring would get here ................
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2007, 7:58 pm

lovetoshow wrote:
The weather here is terrible high winds my power keeps flickering off and on ,nasty nasty nasty wish spring would get here ................

Our weather down here has been back and forth. It can't seem to make up it's mind! lol!
I hope you're not anywhere near the East Coast Spring storm that just went through. I heard it was a "COLD SNAP"!! affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
lovetoshow

PostSubject: Im in the Spring Storm   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2007, 8:31 pm

Wouldn't be so bad if the wind would not keep blowing Im trying to start a 2 year old he does not know if he should shed or hang on to that winter hair and working outside is just no way the mornings have been in the 30's and my sand pit freezes and leaves big holes not safe fo rhim or I just wish it would just all clear up ............
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 8:05 am

Lovetoshow, any advice for us fellow halter people or people interested in doing halter? The shows that you like to attend, work-outs, sweating, feeding, etc.?

Sounds like you've really accomplished a lot with your big guy... CONGRATS!
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 9:59 am

My horse gets started with a trainer ,he stays down there in the winter just on board,when the show season starts he gets about 30 or 60 days with him and thenI bring him home he should be here late may or early june ,we do not have a indoor therefore he can't get out and with our winters its the best thing for him,we do nothing special just hard work and good feed ,I do use supplements but nothing special DAC oil ,vitamins,and I use minerals I feed just oats and good alfalfa mix ,It just all depends on the horse .I personally feel you need a good foundation ,breeding for a good halter horse I prefer the bigger type horses not fat mind you fit just large ,muscular,and still pretty......I think they are amazing to look at.....
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 10:42 am

What type of work-outs, etc. do you do when he's there with you?

What shows would you recommend as far as amassing a lot of points with a good horse? Does he have amateur and open points?
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 11:04 am

i know this may sound strange to you guys but what is DAC supplements.Is there a website
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 11:34 am

well my routine starts about 8;00 am first feeding then the horses that are going to get worked get crossed tied and rubbed on first I use a spiked rubber brush then a oval rubber curry then a semi soft finshing brush the I get everyone dressed never do I not use leg protection sport boots and bell boots the neck sweats I normally use 2 sometimes 3 sweats once in a while I'll use a good garbage bag but I normally do not have any trouble getting my horses to give me a good sweat ,after about 8 to 15 minutes in a round pen which I have about 9 tons of sand in so the footing is good and my round pen is large 80 foot round i take the horses in and hang about 1 hours and 45 min got to be carefull not to burn them ,while there hanging I clean my other 8 stalls and bring my night stalkers in flys are bad here are brood mares and riders come out at night we have 100 acres and have 3 paddocks for them 2 about 20 acres and one about 40 acres and we have land across the road we just mow as a matter fact we mow our fields about once every 30 days to keep the grass down it grows so fast any way after my horses are done sweating I clean them I try to hose at least 3 x a week I give a lot of oil so I don't really worry about drying them out after they dry I curry again
oval curry then a good finishing brush and the some healthy hair care spray I always pick feet and oil and they get some lunch and afternoon hay we try to feed 3 x a day .some people jog behind a cart but our fields are so grassy I never know what kind of footing Im going to have so I feel its to dangerous thats why the bigger pen so they have some more freedom of movement .my gelding has open amatuer and youth points ,over 1,000 I showed after Congress in Kentucky in november and haven't counted the points lately I do know he is a top 10 all time class point earner in the history of AQHA the number 1 horse has over 2,000 points I'll never see that but would like to keep showing him as long as he stays healthy and they like him .he was also justin rookie top 5 this year .
he is a amazing animal and it humbles me to own him
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

PostSubject: DAC   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 11:38 am

DAC ....I think there should be a web site ,its in Dover
Ohio, If you have trouble finding it let me know i'll look it up for you and give you a address and a number im sure its on the bottle they sell a lot of supplements ,,,,,
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 1:05 pm

Loveto, what's yoru preference on the "after" that you spray on their haircoat? I've used the Rose Conditioner for years.
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 2:28 pm

Lovetoshow, you might need to resend the email, I never got it. In the subject line just ut horse pics or something that way I know it is from you.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 3:37 pm

so what Dac products would you reccomend for my yearling filly,You guys know the one,the little black filly or shall i say the rather tall filly.lol!
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

Number of posts : 97

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 4:50 pm

In regards to finding the best pointed shows, I review the locations each year and the previous years attendance for the classes of interest... then I always keep a record of the judges that best fit my halter horses style... I think each area of the country has different interests in halter horses from GA to TX to OH... i review opinions posted in the journal on the judges. as well. If I took Grand or Resv under a certain judge with good competitive exhibitors, I review to see where that judge might be judging in our area...... I like to review my route and options early in show season. This is just a thought for those of you looking to capture AQHA pts.
I like to do my homework and have a yearly game plan... it might not always dish out, but its a start.

Its worked for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 4:57 pm

AQHA/OLF wrote:
In regards to finding the best pointed shows, I review the locations each year and the previous years attendance for the classes of interest... then I always keep a record of the judges that best fit my halter horses style... I think each area of the country has different interests in halter horses from GA to TX to OH... i review opinions posted in the journal on the judges. as well. If I took Grand or Resv under a certain judge with good competitive exhibitors, I review to see where that judge might be judging in our area...... I like to review my route and options early in show season. This is just a thought for those of you looking to capture AQHA pts.
I like to do my homework and have a yearly game plan... it might not always dish out, but its a start.

Its worked for me Smile

That is some excellent advice for those of us that are VERY new to the halter ring! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 5:08 pm

Great advice, OLF!

Where the heck have you been... I was thinking about you and SS the other day, haven't heard from you guys in a while...

how's the weather? Been to any shows lately? If you have, I hope you did well!
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 5:19 pm

Hiding under the snow piles.... AGAIN Sad
Actually been trying to get the stallion fit in between rain and snow drops.
Thank god I have super sandy grounds to work with.

I get on and do a quick glance to the site when I can.... SS emailed me last week, she has a super busy upcoming schedule as well.

But I'm back on for a few days -fire away Smile

hope the info I posted helps, I do crazy homework sometimes- but I've found different approaches to work out... I'll sneak out alittle advice on the site here and there where i can Smile other has to stay packed away Smile))
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 6:31 pm

Packed away? Whatcha talking about Willis?

No fair! HA! You're up in New York, though... I'm down here... HA! So fire away!

Is SS's new mare still doing okay? I sure hope she posts some pictures of her, the full body... whale of a mare!

Seriously though, I totally agree with you on picking these shows. It meant the difference when I was showing Kid of placing or not placing...

Also, what's your feeling on the performance halter class... have you been to any shows to see if there's a difference, etc.?
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

PostSubject: On the after spray   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 10:27 pm

I use healthy hair conditioner the concentrate you mix your self and I also have rotated shapley light oil I use a fine mist and then rub it in but only on off days it can be a mess there are some days I can write my name in his coat he's so oily but it makes a difference .....
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

PostSubject: OLF   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 10:36 pm

I've printed my horses all time show record out and compared judges to see which ones like him and which ones don't and how much did he place out of how many a lot of people look fo rthere favorite judges I know I have mine ...
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2007, 11:08 pm

Quote :
I use healthy hair conditioner the concentrate you mix your self

Me too, great stuff
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2007, 9:13 am

Where the heck you been, Kell? Aw, the single life, jet-setting around, working hard, doing horses.... man-oh-man, YOU GO, GIRL!

When's the next time you're bringing the hunk out?
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2007, 11:38 am

7cedars wrote:

Also, what's your feeling on the performance halter class... have you been to any shows to see if there's a difference, etc.?

I'm not to sure on the class yet, and should be interesting how the judges place grand and resv. with the combinations. But as it was stated elsewhere, it will bump up the attendance and pts I hope. I haven't been out of the barn yet, season starts for me in May Smile
Back to top Go down
AQHA/OLF

AQHA/OLF

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2007, 11:40 am

lovetoshow wrote:
I've printed my horses all time show record out and compared judges to see which ones like him and which ones don't and how much did he place out of how many a lot of people look fo rthere favorite judges I know I have mine ...

I agree, I've had a few favorite and have enjoyed showing under them for several years now. Maybe be its a luck of the draw, but its sure my lucky clover to do the homework Smile
Back to top Go down
lovetoshow

PostSubject: Showing   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2007, 5:52 pm

Ithink this year more than ever I will be more careful looking for high numbers ,I have a feeling gas and diesel will be a big expense for most ,
so your really going to have to pick and choose are you going to the regionals in Lexington Va/ in July AQHA/OLF if im reading the post right your from New York ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The future of the Halter Horse.   The future of the Halter Horse. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The future of the Halter Horse.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2