Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:39 pm

Natasha, I'll agree with one part of this post!

Basically reiterates what I said.... you have to offset the imbalances with correct trace minerals & vitamins.... problem with feeding loose minerals on oats is that the minerals interact with one another... they bind together and flush out of the system. So, what starts out on paper as a balanced diet becomes unbalanced in the horses system. So like I said, unless you're a chemist you won't know what you're REALLY feeding. For example, excess Zinc will cause a Copper deficiency which can lead to contracted tendons.

So why don't we leave it to the chemists, and not to YOUR OPINION!

And all of this broohah-hah over somebody feeding oats, Oh, My GAWD!
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:47 pm

7cedars wrote:

And all of this broohah-hah over somebody feeding oats, Oh, My GAWD!

Broohah-hah over feeding oats?? I think the broohah-hah came when someone said they had NO problems and didn't like it when it was proven otherwise. Seems to be a couple of people here who have a problem with anyone having an opinion that differs from their own. I can't recall telling anyone they CAN'T feed oats... I said it's not smart because it's VERY hard to balance.... impossible to balance if you're not a chemistry whiz.

If you would like to tell me what my opinion is on feeding I'd love to hear it.... because I don't recall giving any "feed this..." recommendations here.
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:51 pm

7cedars wrote:

and that's what I said... so I'm not sure I understand your point Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:55 pm

I agree 7 Ceders, Totally. Hey, I went to Matlock and Carol Roses farm, Back when they were togather. They took us to see the weanlings and there they stood on oats and A. hay. BUT I didn't see what else was in the feeding program, all they mentioned was they were kept on full feed. A long row of these weanlings . Who was I to say they are wrong. Sure was working for them. I mean They were selling there babies for Thousands and thousands.

Question Question I have a yearling stud colt that will be a performance horse eventually but I would like to halter him to start and then lungeline show him in some futurities. He is performance bred- not halter horse bred but I'd like to be competitive for the first year or 2 in halter. What feeding/supplement program/exercise program should he be on? I've never done halter before.

Arrow He needs to be on straight oats and the best alfalfa hay you can buy. Feeding schedule of 3x a day and exercise & sweat his neck 6 days a week about 10 minutes. You can feed DAC supplements and minerals. This will be the best program to start him on.

Guess who wrote this, TED TURNER. Goes to prove differant stroke for differant folks.

Edited, opps forgot my G.
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 7:02 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:

Arrow He needs to be on straight oats and the best alfalfa hay you can buy. Feeding schedule of 3x a day and exercise & sweat his neck 6 days a week about 10 minutes. You can feed DAC supplements and minerals. This will be the best program to start him on.

Guess who wrote this, TED TURNER. Goes to prove differant stroke for differant folks.

Edited, opps forgot my G.

Ted Turner has a staff of full time nutritionists and also feeds Buckeye products as well. He will NOT release his feeding program to even Dr Burke. Again... it's not the OATS that are the problem - it's a layman trying to BALANCE the oats.
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 7:21 pm

I suggest anyone who is raising any foal, if they have any doubts on whether the foal is getting adequet or too much mineral wise to pull blood.

The vet can tell you if anything and I mean anything is out of balance, if it isn't and your foals legs fetlocks etc are good then you should keep feeding what they are on.

I pulled Miracles last year oh about the first part of august and found out that the only thing that was slightly high was her phosperous level. The vet recommended I either take her off the oats or cut back to pretty much no oats period.

I took them out of her diet, had her blood rechecked and all was good and fine. I myself have changed what and how I feed over the years, it is an everlasting learning process hell what we have available to feed now we didn't back when I first started halter over 13 years ago.

What someone says they feed their halter horses to the public I have seen whats in the feed pails at the shows and it sure isn't what they *said* they were feeding. I walked around the AQHA WS stalls and the PHBA world show stalls and looked to see what was in the feed buckets...NOT straight oats, in fact I saw little to NO oats in any feed bucket. Most of what I saw were pellets and I would wager that they were either progressive or buckeye because it looks just like it.

Anyway, I know that I will do blood checks on my foals every couple of months to make sure if there is an imbalance anywhere we can nip it in the bud right away. Most times you won't know there is a problem until you see it physically why not try to catch it before it gets to that point is my motto.

Oh and DAC CMZ paste? that is about the best thing IMHO that has ever been made, everyone should have that in their inventory!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 9:40 pm

HEY BLUEJAY, Email me at my home Addy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:34 pm

The way I see it is, everyone has their own program, it consists of what works for them and their horses, it may or may not work for someone else and wether they use it or not is their own personal choice and should be given serious thought. I know I've changed a lot of my program diet wise because there is always a new surge of information at my feet, and I take what I believe will be useful, slowly incorporate it into my program, if it works well, I keep it. I will say that not every one of my horses are fed the same, every horse is different and have different needs, I feed the horse as an individual.
Natasha didn't give an opinion as to what horses should be fed, she just stated a known fact: it's hard to balance a horse's feed program for optimal growth without any consequences. I do think that there was a little "I am right, you are wrong" attitude in the post, but hey, to each their own: we all need to remember that. I do not think it is right that anyone post pictures of anyone else's horse's on the internet without their permission. And actually, you can't just post someone elses personal photograph, that was taken / owned by them. Here is the #1 myth of copyright ordeals. If anyone would like more information on this subject, visit http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html or do a search for internet copyrights on your personal search engine.

1) "If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not copyrighted."
This was true in the past, but today almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not. The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise. There are some old works that lost protection without notice, but frankly you should not risk it unless you know for sure.
It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by warning people, and by allowing one to get more and different damages, but it is not necessary. If it looks copyrighted, you should assume it is. This applies to pictures, too. You may not scan pictures from magazines and post them to the net, and if you come upon something unknown, you shouldn't post that either.

What it comes down to is we each have our own opinions on what we should feed our horses, plain and simple. We do what we all think is best for our horses, and that is our personal business. I could personally recognize who the horse used as an example was, and wether or not he was a good example should be decided upon by a vet. The website posted with pictures had two good examples of the knees and fetlock. The big difference was that the website was for informational, educational purposes, the personal picture was used without permission, plain and simple. And say the horse's name was brought in the open, and the horse was for sale. Say a possible buyer came upon this forum and was turned away from buying the horse because of what was posted, and told the owner about it, said owner could sue whomever posted the information. Copyrights are a tricky business, it's best not to copy pictures, etc. from other persons without providing credit, and be careful what purpose you're using it for.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2