Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

lost foals

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Krystal

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-05-09

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: lost foals   lost foals Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2007, 10:00 pm

Does anyone know of a toxin or poisonous plant that could cause mares to have still born foals? I've raised several foals each year since 2002 and have never lost a foal. This year we have lost 3. The first looked healthy??? The second was completley in the sac still and the sac was abnormally thick. Guessing the foal suffocated. The 3rd was born with several abnormalties-head was 1/2 moon shaped, very crooked front legs etc. We have had 2 born perfect and healthy. We run our mares in pasture year round (1000 acres or better) and also foal in pasture and only get them in during storms. We haven't done anything differently and haven't fed anything different to them. I'm thinking with the drought perhaps they ingested some kind of poisonous plant???
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Instead of being excited to see the mares and foals every morning, I dread the thought of finding another dead foal. 5 to go-please pray they are healthy!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: Re: lost foals   lost foals Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2007, 10:59 pm

Toxic Plants

This happened to a friend of mine a year ago and I cannot for the life of me remember the plant that caused it... Its driving me NUTS!

My friend lost 4 foals last year...none broke the sac.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: Re: lost foals   lost foals Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 3:18 am

I know that Fescue is known to cause problems for pregnant mares.

Here are 2 sites about it:

http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/fescue.htm
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/fesalk.html

If you google "fescue pregnant mares" other pages will come up too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your foals. Sad I hope the other births go more smoothly for you. I think it has been a hard year for a lot of breeders. Good luck with the rest of your mares!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: Re: lost foals   lost foals Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 9:28 am

Qhorse - THANK YOU!!!
I was laying in bed last night racking my poor tired little brain as to what it was...then at about 2:30 I woke up and said out loud - Fescue poisoning, that is what happened to them last year...I then promptly rolled over and decided I could write it up today... lol!

Fescue is some bad stuff and it is EVERYWHERE which amazes me!

KRYSTAL - You will definitely be in my prayers...here's to having all healthy happy babies from now on!!! cheers2
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: LOST FOALS   lost foals Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 5:48 pm

HI KRYSTAL: YOU MIGHT WANT TO POST YOUR PROBLEM ON THE 'NURSERY' FORUM HERE TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE MAY HAVE SOME OTHER THOUGHTS. SO SORRY YOU'RE HAVING SUCH A TERRIBLE TIME WITH YOUR MARES AND BABIES........... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Krystal

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-05-09

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: Re: lost foals   lost foals Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2007, 10:08 pm

Thank you everyone. I called a vet and he said the crooked legged/weird shaped headed foal sounded like loupine (sp?) plant poisoning. He said for the head to be affected it would have happend within about 30 days post conception. I just hope the other mares didn't ingest it. I'm going to look into the fescue also.Thanks again-Krystal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lost foals Empty
PostSubject: Re: lost foals   lost foals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lost foals
Page 1 of 1