Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Empty
PostSubject: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2007, 11:33 am

Comes down to adding minerals to their diet... found lots of articles on this topic.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Articles.aspx?ArticleName=readysteadygrowfeedingyounghorses
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2007, 11:46 am

Basically reiterates what I said.... you have to offset the imbalances with correct trace minerals & vitamins.... problem with feeding loose minerals on oats is that the minerals interact with one another... they bind together and flush out of the system. So, what starts out on paper as a balanced diet becomes unbalanced in the horses system. So like I said, unless you're a chemist you won't know what you're REALLY feeding. For example, excess Zinc will cause a Copper deficiency which can lead to contracted tendons.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 10:52 am

7 Ceders, thanks for the site, its very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 11:32 am

Good articles.. cheers

I think people run in to trouble with over feeding and trying to get that youngster too heavy for what the bones and joints can handle.. I have friends that do this to win a class.. I have seen their youngsters die from it. I refuse to do this. If I finish last at least I will have a nice horse in the end. Evil or Very Mad

Mine all get addatives to balance their diets and still get max grouth out of them.. You have to pay attention and know when to back off or go forward with it. I find that confirmation of the horse drives my feeding program. Rolling Eyes

If I have a really leggy foal then they cannot take the feeding the shorter coupled one can. Their legs tell me how to proceed on them. Arrow

I have had many feed dealers try to convince me otherwise.. Not going there.. What I have found in complete feeds is there is not enough of the stuff they add to do the job. That is why I buy my stuff and add what I want to the diet.. I measure and weigh everthing. I use different products to accomplish what I want on the each horse. scratch

My diets are balanced and full of nutients. I also feed probiotics daily to carry the vit/min I am feeding through the system so they get used. I use daily wormer. I watch my alfalfa and adjust it when I need to. Some times we get really rich stuff and you cannot feed a normal ration of that or your legs will be bouncing all over the place. I have fed whole oats for years with the additional stuff I add and have never had any problems since I stopped letting certain people convince me something else works better.. I do not use drugs of any kind. No

If you have a feed program that works for you, then stick to it.. Never hurts to try other suggestions. I have done it many times and just keep coming back to what really works for me.. Basketball

I think this is a great topic. I have learned many things from many people on how to problem solve. And, if I have a problem and nothing I have done works I go out and network with people to solve it. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:26 pm

Oh, Bluejay, I totally agree. I think it's up to each individual person to become knowledgeable on whatever topic. It's the age of the net, and there's no excuse now! Whether it be feeding, working, exercising, riding, training, etc. Tons and tons of information that YOU YOURSELF can read articles and come to your own conclusion!
Back to top Go down
B3

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:38 pm

Hey, hold on a sec...am I going crazy, or did a post get deleted? I thought when I was on earlier, Natasha had posted an excellent example of a foal with epiphysitis, and I told a friend of mine about it. She just called me back and asked what I was talking about, and now I can't find the post. scratch
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:42 pm

Baymare, just goes to show you IT WAS NOT an excellent example, was no example whatsoever. Was no inflammation whatsoever. Much less using someone else on this forum's horse picture WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION!

Can you say SEE YA! cheers
Back to top Go down
B3

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:47 pm

7cedars wrote:
Baymare, just goes to show you IT WAS NOT an excellent example, was no example whatsoever. Was no inflammation whatsoever. Much less using someone else on this forum's horse picture WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION!

Can you say SEE YA! cheers

Actually, unfortunately, it WAS IN FACT an excellent example - looks just like the joints of the foals pictured in my vet friend's textbook, interestingly enough. I was unaware it was anyone's personal picture. I thought we were all here to learn and help one another. Maybe I was wrong...?
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:48 pm

What truely amazes me is that with all the knowledge we have at our internet finger tips, some still are pretty uninformed scratch

On the subject of whatever this picture is/was, anything we post online period is free to be used by the public UNLESS it has a copywrite on the photo etc.

So no permission needed. Just thought I would toss that out there, I know I myself do not post pictures that I wouldn't want plastered on a billboard, and I no longer send anyone pictures period.

Surprised there wasn't a <giggle/giggle> after your very mature last remark 7Cedars. cheers
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:49 pm

I would say IT'S WAY WRONG to post anyone else's horse without THEIR PERMISSION on this forum or any other forum, for that matter. I think it is out of line... and childish doesn't even come close to it!

But people can believe what they may - just goes to show ya how UNINFORMED and UNKNOWLEDGEABLE a lot of people are!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:52 pm

Tara, if that's true that anyone can post anyone's picture that they've been e-mailed, or whatever, does that count too?
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:53 pm

Bluejay and 7Cs -
I totally agree with if you are happy with what you've got stick to it...

Before Garrett & I started dating he would change feeds (I kid you not) every 3-4 months!!! Purina would come out with a new feed and you could bet your boots he would have it within 2wks and be changing everyone on over to it. He was TERRIBLE about it!!!

I used to feed oats (14yrs) never had any problems and loved them. Then I changed my program and didn't have cutters anymore. I changed my feed. Now I feed a 14% protein, 6% fat, supplement corn and alfalfa and coastal hay. If the individual horse needs something a little extra, they get it. If they don't, they don't.

It made Garrett soooooooo mad the first 2 years we dated because we would get into HUGE fights about feed (I mean, HUGE). My horses are always slicked off and sassy...not FAT but definately feel good but not crazy. His just had issues. Now we've got them all on the same dang thing...from the mares to the horses in training to the babies.

I will say that with babies they get more fat. So far I have YET to have ANY problems with our legs or joints that has to do with nutrition.

Garrett is slowly changing from "If it aint broke fix it until it is" to "If it aint broke DON'T fix it"...it has been a process!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:55 pm

7cedars wrote:
Tara, if that's true that anyone can post anyone's picture that they've been e-mailed, or whatever, does that count too?

Sure does, so feel free to post the pics of my colt. Oh and to begin with who owns the horses legs that were in the post? I mean I couldn't tell from a leg shot.

On the topic of how unimformed some people are? yes your sure nuff right on that one HA!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 4:58 pm

The whole thing is, the picture didn't reflect E.... it reflected growth plates, a whole ton of difference there.

And I wasn't talking about the colt.
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:02 pm

Well I still have to wonder whose horses legs those are since they got pulled rather quickly. If the person was wrong on what they thought they looked like why pull them?

I have to wonder if someone posts a picture of say a text book picture of the same thing, will that be pulled too?

I am really at a loss on why some horses leg pics were deleted I mean for gods sake who can identify a horse by its legs? They are LEGS LOL

Oh well seems someone has no idea how to quote a post but sure nuff learned how to delete posts straight away scratch

I want to know who the mystery horse legs belong too
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:06 pm

That would probably go under the heading of "It's none of our danged business."

Tara, you're about to pull my leg right off of the socket, girl! Cool Shocked
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:08 pm

I have touched no legs damnit, only time that is happening is the end of the month when John gets home and thats my business Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:08 pm

It was originally a pic and a close up of legs...

Honestly - I think the REAL issue is finding an acurate, documented example of what we want to see...NOT what someone THINKS is an example

If it really is a learning question it shouldn't matter who the legs belonged to...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
B3

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:19 pm

Tara wrote:
I have touched no legs damnit, only time that is happening is the end of the month when John gets home and thats my business Very Happy

OK - TMI, TMI! Shocked LOL, there are just some things you don't need to know about other people!!

Quote :

If it really is a learning question it shouldn't matter who the legs belonged to...

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. _

Kidd, that's exactly my point.
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:20 pm

KIDD personally I would like to be able to find someone who has leg problems where I could get down look at them and feel the leg. Now that would be one heck of a learning lesson.

I have seen over at the knee, and contracted tendons but not this other mess. I don't want to see it on mine LOL I want to see what it looks like in person on someone elses darn horse. Pictures never do anything justice so seeing it in person would be a real learning experience.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 5:26 pm

Now, that, Tara, was just too darned funny ... if I do say so myself! Very Happy

I have touched no legs damnit, only time that is happening is the end of the month when John gets home and thats my business :Dry good come back! HA!
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:13 pm

7cedars wrote:
The whole thing is, the picture didn't reflect E.... it reflected growth plates, a whole ton of difference there.

And I wasn't talking about the colt.

You're right... sure enough did reflect growth plates and if you were half as smart as you think you are (and you knew what epiphysitis was) you'd know that it's an INFLAMMATION OF THE GROWTH PLATES.

Here is a link to a great little site with a WONDERFUL picture:
http://www.baileyshorsefeeds.co.uk/studareahome/growthproblems.htm

hmm.... sure looks a lot like the other one I posted huh... odd :roll:

and here's a description copied from a veterinary website:
"This occurs [referring to Epiphysitis/Physitis] in young growing foals and involves swelling due to inflammation of the growth plates of the bones in the legs."

Last edited by on April 12th 2007, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
B2

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:16 pm

Holy scary looking legs Shocked
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:30 pm

Adequate supply of minerals? if I remember correctly Bluejay mention on a post all the supplements and minerals that are fed to her horses besides oats and hay. Is that not true? Bluejay.
Back to top Go down
B1

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2007, 6:34 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
Adequate supply of minerals? if I remember correctly Bluejay mention on a post all the supplements and minerals that are fed to her horses besides oats and hay. Is that not true? Bluejay.

It's not about the amount of minerals... it's about the BALANCE of the minerals in the feed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.   DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DOD, OCD, feeding foals, etc.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next