Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeding Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
QHorse163

QHorse163

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2007, 8:58 pm

Clara will be moving to a new stable in April. The barn owner there feeds straight oats, but he said he has no problems feeding supplements (will probably do SmartPaks since Clara gets a couple different things).

Currently Clara is fed a special mix sweet feed, 14% protein and it's high in fat.

What type of supplements should she be fed in addition to the oats she will be getting? She will be shown most weekends so needs something that will give her enough energy and something to keep her coat nice. Also, are there any extra vitamins that she would need that aren't contained in straight oats?

She is currently on a joint supplement with 5000 mg Glucosamine HCl, 500 mg MSM, 250 mg Calcium Ascorbate, 250 mg Chondroitin Sulfate, and 15 mg Hylaronic Acid.

I don't know that much about feeding since I have always boarded my horses. I guess I should buy some books! :oops:

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2007, 9:12 pm

You could go with Buckeyes ration balancer Gro n Win it can be fed with oats and with Clara you would probably feed 2lbs a day. Would work out to about $1.00-1.50 per day. Would have all the vitamins and minerals you would need only thing else you would need would be a salt block. I feed it and love it but none of my fat horses need the extra oats to go with the Gro n Win.
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 4:55 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. Cool So according to the Buckeye site, for an 1100 lb. horse in moderate training, she would need the 2-3 lbs. of Gro-N-Win plus 9 lbs. of oats., plus 1 lb. of Ultimate Finish. hmm. I'll have to look into it a bit more.

What nutritional value do straight oats have?
Back to top Go down
B2

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 7:03 pm

None at all. Oh and if I remember right GroNWin is either 30 or 32% protein which to me seems to be alot for an adult horse?
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 7:25 pm

Hmm, the Buckeye site says it has 32% protein. That is quite a bit higher than what she is getting now (and most other feeds I've heard of).

How about this Sho-N-Win ration balancer? It has 14.5% protein and is geared more toward the mature performance horse. Here's the link: http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equine/shownwin.html

Also, what is the best way to transition her to the new feeding routine? Should I take some of her current sweet feed and have the new barn feed half old/half new to start?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I know so little about feeding horses. Embarassed I've always trusted my barn owners. Thanks for all your help!! Smile
Back to top Go down
B2

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 7:31 pm

The shonwin is more in line with what she is used to but you can always use a purina feed as well. I would bring her mix with you when you move her over to add so that she does not get an upset belly by switching her straight over.

Here is a link for a book that to me is like the bible for feeding horses.

Amazon.com: Feeding to Win II: Books: Equine Research,Inc Research Staff Equine Research,Don M. Wagoner
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 7:39 pm

Thanks Tara. Smile I will save the link for when I get some extra cash!

I'll have to send my dad to the feed stores to see what products they carry around here. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 8:41 pm

Just remember it seems like a lot of protein but when you figure you are only feeding 2 lbs a day w/oats which have minimal nutritional value you aren't adding huge amounts of protein in fact if you were feeding 5lbs of feed with 14% protein 2xs a day and now you feed l lb of feed with 32% protein 2xs a day it is actually less protein intake daily if you break it down and my babies and mares have great legs and joints and my horses in training look wonderful. I love the product. I only use 2 oz of the fat to have nice coat condition and 1 bucket will last forever.... just an idea and feed is like bloodlines everyone has their favorities Smile

remember to get the ration balancer appropriate for the type of hay you are feeding buckeye makes a higher protein for grass hay and a lower protein for alfalfa hay just and fyi the show n win you were looking at I believe is for alfalfa fed horses (I think)
Back to top Go down
B2

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 8:57 pm

>>Sho'N WinŽ is formulated to be fed as a ration balancer to complement legume forage (hay or pasture) for all ages and grass/legume mixed forage (hay or pasture) for mature horses<<

I was not knocking your feeding it Lynn, I just thought 32% seemed to be more then an adult horse would need. I am as curious as anyone on what people feed and why, every bit you can learn from each other is great.

Feeding just the right amount/kind/level of protein is like being a scientist I swear.
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 9:01 pm

Good point Lynn. I did notice that about the hay. I know Clara won't be getting alfalfa so maybe the higher protein is better after all?

I guess I have a lot to research study before the end of the month!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2007, 9:05 pm

I know you weren't knocking me Tara... I hear that alot about the protein though and I think if people realize that overall the total protein intake is actually less if you caculate it out it isn't so overwhelming... You definately wouldn't want to feed it like a regular grain or you would have major problems.

Edited to add- I do have a mare that if she gets even a little extra protein in her diet watch out she can be a handful and with this product no problems Smile now if you add in any alfalfa to her diet watch out! Now we don't really have access to alfalfa due to blister bettles so not really a problem.
Back to top Go down
B1

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2007, 9:17 am

Molly -

I wouldn't get too worried about the feed. An aged horse isn't going to die if they aren't on the *perfect* diet. I dont' think I need to say how much I dislike Buckeye - but tons of people feed it without a problem - they made some formula changes semi-recently and I've heard a LOT of complaints since then as well. We personally feed TDI, I also like Progressive. Having an older mare - you might want to think about putting her on a senior feed (especially since it sounds like you have trouble keeping weight on).

I would avoid trying to do the supplemented oats thing...... with the price of supplements it's going to cost you a FORTUNE to get all the necesssary vitamins into Clara when you're feeding them on oats (because oats are just a calorie filler)
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2007, 10:56 am

Thanks Natasha. Nope, no trouble keeping weight on this girl.Shocked lol. She's a chunk. I hadn't thought about the senior feeds. What is the difference between something like that and say, the Gro'N Win (or similar product)?

I think some kind of ration balancer will definitely be the way to go, though. Hopefully I can send my mom or dad to the feed store soon to see what kinds of products they carry around here.Thanks for your help, everyone!
Back to top Go down
B1

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2007, 11:11 am

QHorse163 wrote:
I hadn't thought about the senior feeds. What is the difference between something like that and say, the Gro'N Win (or similar product)?

Ration balancers are a concentrated grain product..... they pack a lot of vitamins & minerals into a smaller amount of feed. They're perfect for an easy keeper. You'll typically only feed about 2lbs/day but they cost more, anywhere from $12-$20 a bag

Senior feeds have a high fiber/fat content and will typically have an added joint supplement or something to that effect. They've usually got a lot of beet pulp and are softer and easier for a horse with less than perfect teeth to eat/digest. You'll feed a lot more of this, 5-10lbs/day (depending on the horse) and it's normally $10-$12/bag.
Back to top Go down
B1

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2007, 11:13 am

Like a Star @ heaven

all my posts keep duplicating. Sorry.

Last edited by on March 19th 2007, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2007, 11:28 am

I have had great sucess with Buckeye products. No problems at all. There have been so many good points made here. I agree whole heartedly, that a formulated feed it the way to go. When you start adding this and that. More of this then that. You can get yourself into trouble. By either over doing it or not enough. Its a fine science. When I first got out of school and tried to do it all, by having my differant barrels of oats, corn, soymeal, Vits, supplements, hay tested, soil tested, scales, pastures tested. It was a lab in my feed room. Let alone, don't even let someone else feed for me. I vote for formulated feeds!
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2007, 2:18 am

I can't remember how old Clara is, but a little higher protein can be good for teenage horses. It helps them maintain their muscle tone, especially over their topline.
Back to top Go down
QHorse163

QHorse163

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2007, 2:04 pm

Hmm, I don't think she will need the Senior feed just yet. We already have her on a joint supplement and believe me she has no trouble eating any of her feed! lol. Clara is 11. Smile She does seem to have lost a little of the toning in her topline (not a big deal, but just a little less filled out), maybe the higher protein will help her there.

Triple J - Sorry if this is a dumb question, but... What do you mean by "formulated feed"? Do you mean skipping the oats and using a complete feed, or adding the ration balancer to her oats, or something completely different? Sorry if that sounds dumb! lol. Right now I think I'm leaning toward supplementing her oats with the Gro'N Win (and maybe Ultimate Finish during show season). Or similar products from another brand (have to check out the feed stores first). Thanks for your post! Smile
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 11:08 am

Formulated feeds, It is a feed that is the same everytime. Some feeds you purchase are not. Lets say the feed says 12% protein 6 % fat. If it does not say Formulated then It maybe 11 %, or 13 %, 4% fat or 7 % fat. BUT when the feed formula was Orginally made, it was tested to be 12%. Due to the content. Now if the corn, oats, etc. has not been tested on each run of making the feeds, then the percentage can change. However, of formulated feeds, It is tested and the percentage of contents will be the same each time. Does this make sense? I hope so. Formualted feeds, I think are more important to growing horses, Sr. Horses, HYPP postive horses and horses pron to colic.

I love you Love Ultimate Finish, I also like the fact that it offers the differant levels for you to get just what you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding Question
Page 1 of 1