Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HYPP Site

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2007, 3:48 pm

I was looking for something else and came across this site. It has sooo much information for those who has HYPP horses. Treatments, etc. what to do, not to feed. Etc. Now it has a video, It is a bit shocking for those who has never seen this. So be WARNED. No

http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org/VideoInformation.html
Back to top Go down
B1

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2007, 4:21 pm

Before this turns into a massive anti Hypp witch hunt - bear in mind while watching this that this is a SEVERE attack and from what I read they didn't say if the horse was N/H or H/H.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 12:41 am

(SEVERE attack or not. Its part of HYPP. Sad I wish it wasn't.

Does it matter which she is H/H or N/H? I saw this happen at a show with a N/H. It happens. Im not starting a Witch Hunt as you said. Its just a sad Fact of HYPP. I'm not saying every HYPP horse has an attack like this, But Anyway you look at it It is part of it. The part of the site I found most interesting was the way they talked about treatments, meds and how they handled the illness. I use to own HYPP Postive horses. I learned from visiting the site. Thought someone else might pick up something that might be of use since there are members that own positive horses on the forum.

Yes, this is a hot topic. But it is still part to the horse world today, I will say I would not breed for a postive horse. And this video is one of the reasons. I have had a horse on Meds. Been down that road. Have owned 3 with out trouble, except one died in her sleep from it. The other 2 I sold telling them that they were N/H. The H/H horse told them, even though I was lied to and took a hit on selling him. But gave them the facts on feeding him, meds and excerise ... Had I known, I would not have bought him. PERIOD. Been there done that. No
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 6:24 am

I don't think there will be a witch hunt on here... Thank goodness! Very Happy

It's my first rodeo with this mess, but I'm still not watching the video, huh-uh, ain't doing it. I'm glad they ruled out the H/H'ers; don't know if N/H will come or not, but like some halter people have said, to go against one type of default and not the other defaults is kind of sad, plus aggravating.

Sad thing about it is, the trainers and judges are the ones to blame, some of which are one in the same, not even to mention this mess they're shooting them up with these days. I think it is just flat stupid!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 9:24 am

Sad thing about it is, the trainers and judges are the ones to blame, some of which are one in the same, not even to mention this mess they're shooting them up with these days. I think it is just flat stupid!

Your so right! So how much respect do you give the BIG DOGS that win doing just his, Shooting them up, breeding for HYPP? Do we admire them for winning all the time? Do we breed the say way hoping to get that big time winner? OR do we say enough is enough?
We all have dreams of winning the big one. But to what extreme do we go? Hypp is a terrible illness. It's a sad illness.

Should the N/Hers be allowed to be registered? Should this the way the horse world be thinking?
Back to top Go down
B1

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 10:28 am

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
(SEVERE attack or not. Its part of HYPP. Sad I wish it wasn't.

Does it matter which she is H/H or N/H? :

Yes.... a majority of N/H horses on a proper diet never show symptoms. I won't touch an H/H horse with a 10 ft pole. I didn't mean to imply that YOU were trying to start a witch hunt, I apologize if that's the way that come off. That is a very informative site, it's been up for a number of years and they also address HERDA & OLWS.

My point was just that I've been around a lot of N/H horses and I've seen attacks - none were ever so severe that that horse fell, or was unable to stand. They tend to broadcast only the most extreme cases and I think that's unfair. There are so many people who are uneducated about HYPP that see that and think that ALL positive horses WILL have attacks and they'll all be EXACTLY like that - and that is untrue.

I will breed N/H horses, but I do always hope the resulting foal is N/N. I'm also glad to see the AQHA step up and do something about the H/H horses, I wish the other associations would follow suit and at LEAST mandate testing. The crazy thing is that as of 2004 there were only 240 AQHA registered horses who tested H/H - so will the new rule really make an impact??
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 10:43 am

Sure doesn't sound like it does it, Thats disappointing. No wonder there wasn't such a fuss over the H/H thing. Thats like throwing a bone to dog on a short leash saying you can have the bone but putting a steak out just beyond reach. Hummm. Learn something new everyday. I really thought AQHA was doing something.

I have seen and been involved in N/Hers having terrible attacks. One case was Our neighbors yearling gelding was one. The vet had to be called everytime. They even used pullys to try to get him up. They had him tested before AQHA required it be put on papers. Back when you had to send in blood. Not to many vets had experience with it and it was treated more like colic.
The worst part is they sold him at auction, and did not even mention it.
Just went on about how nice he was and what he won.
Gerrrrrrr No Thats just wrong.!

HERDA Now the foundation folks don't even want to talk about that one.
Back to top Go down
B2

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 11:02 am

I do NOT put the blame on the breeders, except that they are willing to breed what the JUDGES are placing. People say "well a judge can only judge what is in front of them" BS I have placed my NN balanced, good moving pretty horse in front of them and the only time she has been beaten is by the NH horse. Soooo to that I say BS I put in front of you a good horse and you still picked the NH horse.

The judges dictate what places plain and simple. It goes in ever class not just halter. Look at WP the years of crappy moving peanut rolling horse who 4 beat would always beat the good moving horse the 17 hand HUS horses beating the 15.3 hand horses etc etc.

AQHA lists HYPP as an undesireable trait, but so are bad hocked, ewe necked, long backed, sickle hocked,pigeon toed etc etc horses. Now while those traits are not *life* threatening they sure make for some ugly horses who can't move correctly.

Lets go back to the days of inspection stations...where they judged the horse on what a QH is supposed to look like if they don't they don't get papers.

They will take the most extreme case and blow it up, that is human nature. I have owned NH horses who are symptom free, and maybe one day they won't be but that is my choice. Properly managed the horses are fine

Either way I think it is a personal choice and if you are not properly educated, or take care of them as they may need to be then that is bad. But I think if I want to breed them that is my business I will educate anyone who happens to buy one from me and in all reality the ones buying them for the purpose they are bred for already know and are willing to maintain them.
Back to top Go down
B1

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 11:53 am

Tara wrote:

AQHA lists HYPP as an undesireable trait, but so are bad hocked, ewe necked, long backed, sickle hocked,pigeon toed etc etc horses. Now while those traits are not *life* threatening they sure make for some ugly horses who can't move correctly.

Ugly movers they are - and conformational faults lead to things to navicular, arthritis, etc... those are a possibility in ANY horse of course, but add poor conformation to the mix and you're increasing the odds. May not be LIFE threatening, but are they not QUALITY of life threatening? I think there's a lot of heat on HYPP right now - but in my personal opinion, it's not the worst thing facing the QH industry today.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 1:44 pm

Natasha

Ive been meaning to ask who is the horse in your sig. Nice!
Back to top Go down
B1

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 2:39 pm

Thanks Like a Star @ heaven

He's a little something we bought on an impulse Razz We were given the opportunity of a lifetime to pick up a young up & coming stallion so we jumped on it. Tara just bought a yearling filly by him out of a Playgirls Conclusion daughter - I'm very excited to see how she comes along with her show career. He's also got a 2 yr old filly out of a Sierre Te daughter who's hopefully headed to the Select, Congress and then the World Show this fall and a monster weanling filly that is going to OWN the OH futurities.

He's been a lot of fun in the very short time we've had him.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 3:44 pm

Its the first time ive seen something like this so i feel i cant comment truly but im glad the mare had died so she no longer suffers.Just think what her poor foal was going thru seeing his/her mum thrashing like that.

Was very upseting to watch Sad
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 4:05 pm

Now having horses with lines that go back to HERDA and being somewhat of a "foundation" person I would love nothing more than to have the AQHA require testing for that PLEASE!!! this disease only typically can be seen after you throw a saddle on the back of the horse so nothing like buying a mare or colt spending a ton of money and then going to train the animal and learning that you can't do anything with it GREAT now it isn't worth anything for riding or breeding (can't say Ive delt w/this personally but if/when I do man will it piss me off) HERDA isn't a controllable disease any horse I have with those lines once the test is a little more available will have been tested and I will be able to tell any potential buyers these horses are HERDA free! I am so glad to say my stallion doesn't carry these lines cheers and I don't actively seek these lines in my breeding program and any of my horses with these lines sure don't get line bred at all I look for the biggest out cross I can find.. I have one that I purchased this fall that I am concerned about her foal and it will be tested ASAP (course it has to get here first!)
Back to top Go down
B2

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 4:12 pm

You can use a horse who has herda for breeding, as long as you breed it to a horse who is not a carrier the foal will not be affected.

It sure would be nice to knock that right out I just looked at pictures of horses with it and oh my god how painful it looks.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 7:59 pm

It looks like their skin is melting and peeling off. pale

shazgeoff

Your Right! Sad
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 8:03 pm

[quote="Natasha"]Thanks Like a Star @ heaven

He's a little something we bought on an impulse Razz We were given the opportunity of a lifetime to pick up a young up & coming stallion so we jumped on it. Tara just bought a yearling filly by him out of a Playgirls Conclusion daughter - I'm very excited to see how she comes along with her show career. He's also got a 2 yr old filly out of a Sierre Te daughter who's hopefully headed to the Select, Congress and then the World Show this fall and a monster weanling filly that is going to OWN the OH futurities.

Put that dude on the stallion page, give us more information! and Photos!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 9:21 pm

didnt know you had to have 2 carriers of HERDA (still need to do a lot of research) but still don't think if I knew my horse had it I would continue to breed it dont think I want to be part of any of that... don't want to be encouraging bad genetics...
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 10:47 pm

What is HERDA? Could someone explain or point me in the direction of a good site to read up on it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
B2

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2007, 11:00 pm

Veterinary Practice News - VetPracticeNews.com - The leader in news from and about the veterinary industry, focusing on compa...

Lynn I was just saying that even *if* your horse was tested as a carrier you could still breed her to a non carrier and the foal would have no chance of having HERDA. It is not a matter of breeding bad genetics or genetic defects when the foal has no chance of inheriting it and you could still recoup say the cost of the mare.
Back to top Go down
B1

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 9:21 am

Put that dude on the stallion page, give us more information! and Photos!

He's leaving on Saturday to go to the breeding facility for a month or 2.... When he gets back we're having a photographer come out and do some promotional pictures - then I'll start advertising him. Nothing kills stallion success quicker than posting an unflattering photo (and trust me - I am NO photographer Razz )
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 9:34 am

So how is he bred. Who is he by? How tall is he? If Impressive breeding what is he. How old is he? What breeding shed is he going to be at. Is all that white his? Do you pics of this baby you are talking about. Brag, Girl Brag!
Back to top Go down
B1

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 9:52 am

So how is he bred. Who is he by? How tall is he? If Impressive breeding what is he. How old is he? What breeding shed is he going to be at. Is all that white his? Do you pics of this baby you are talking about. Brag, Girl Brag!

He's got boots on in that picture, but he does have 3 socks - 2 fronts and one hind. N/H, 15.3 1350/1400lbs. I don't have any decent pictures of any of his babies... just cell phone shots that are just *horrid*. I'll make his grand announcement sometime this summer, hopefully by then I'll have some good shots of his babies.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 10:09 am

Yep, cell phones shots are good for bragging rights and thats about it. Well shoot, guess we will have to wait for the announcement then.. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HYPP Site Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP Site   HYPP Site Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HYPP Site
Page 1 of 1