Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HYPP N/H

Go down 
+2
Cindy
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-04-23

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2007, 3:11 pm

Just curious to see if anyone had any experiences with N/H horses and their stories. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2007, 11:05 pm

There are a few us with lots of stories. Do you have a N/H'er? What do you need to know?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 10:45 am

I've had 2 in my lifetime. One, Jazz, is still with us, thank the Lord, and I watch her like a hawk, because she's my pride and joy. She's up at night, out during the day; come show season, she'll be up except when I work her and on Sunday.

The other mare I had, who hadn't been tested, but I'm telling you, I've never seen anything like it, had a severe HYPP attack, and we had to put her down, bred with the only baby I had coming this next year, and I sold my other N/N mare (Scamp's mom) and I'm out of the breeding business for a while - thankfully! It was time.

Would I buy another one? I don't know. Will I breed for it? Don't know, but I know when I breed Jazz, I'm going to have a 50/50 chance of getting either N/H or N/N... but for halter, I do see the benefits.
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 4:19 pm

I was offered a nice bay mare and she is N/H. I am not sure what I would do with her besides being a pet and trail horse occasionally. So that is why I was looking into it as my horses are N/N.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 8:35 pm

I would suggest if you get one, you know everything there is to know about HYPP, and you have tons of Karo syrup on hand.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 10:54 pm

Many stories and opinions on this subject. We have already had them on the forum many times. Some like em and some don't. scratch

They do not have to be NH to be halter winners, some NH horses are world champion pleasure horses, some have problems and some do not. study

It makes no difference to me. You do however need to know how to care for them just like any other horse. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
denibun

Number of posts : 638

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 11:42 am

When I was trying to find a gelding for Rachel, I did see one that I liked that was N/H, but after doing my research, I decided that I didn't have the proper setup to make sure he was properly cared for. Our horses are out most of the time except in extreme temps. THey have access to the barn. They are put up twice a day for feeding, but then they go right back out. I feed alfalfa at feeding time, but they have a big old round bale they eat on the rest of the time in the winter and they're out on pasture the rest of the year. For me, it was not feasible to control what went into his mouth all the time. Plus, horses are a hobby not a livelihood for us so it wasn't worth the extra trouble to me.

I think the main thing you have to consider is whether you are willing to do the things necessary to maintain her?
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2008, 11:09 am

The mare has produced three foals. The first was sired by Sierra Superman and was N/H. The other two were sired by Perpetualism who is N/N and the foals were N/H. I don't know if I would want to ride her either just in case she had an attack. The owner said she has never showed any symptoms. I am prepared on her care if I did get her as I have been doing a lot of research. At this point I am going to stick with the N/N horses only as I don't think that I could/would want to deal with losing her to an attack. Yet on the other hand if she never had an attack I would be missing out on a great mare. Sad
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2008, 1:04 pm

Well heres my experience Have had, N/N N/H and H/H
My N/H mare we put over 100 points on, never showed a sign.. But she was in foal with Yella Fella and Laid down, went to sleep and never woke up, they felt it was an attack that effected the heart.
She had 3 foals, 1 colt N/H 2 fillies N/N
Broke our hearts! We miss her to this day. Ill NOT breed for N/H. I think folks are crazy thinking you have to have N/H to win!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HYPP N/H Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP N/H   HYPP N/H Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HYPP N/H
Page 1 of 1