Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HYPP

Go down 
+5
Bluejay
Mare
REINING CHICK
shazgeoff
Triple J Quarter Horses
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 10:45 am

What are your thoughts on the matter. HYPP??
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 11:28 am

Hehe as long as n/n not a problem. I dont agree with N/H but thats my opinion, we have enough horses in the gene pool to not breed from N/H horses.

People should test for EPSM or PSSM as that can be just as bad,heartbreaking to see and painful for the horse. My friends horse has it as her mare carried it without her knowing, she has bred several foals from her and most of them have it.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 7:09 pm

i think that buying a horse or breeding one that is hypp n/h is a vet bill waiting to happen. some people dont think its a problem. they say oh ill just buy up all the NH horses for super cheap. Well go right a head. both my colts are nn and i have nothing worry about.
why be worried?
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 12:03 pm

I dont get it..... Why buy a horse knowing that something can set them off! HYPP Kopfschuettel Maybe or Maybe not, but it is there, you know it is there. Why breed for this defect???
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 1:37 pm

I wouldnt breed to an N/H stud. There are to many nice N/N ones out there.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2009, 10:18 pm

Rolling Eyes JJJ I know why you feel like you do. And, others who have never experienced owning an NH horse should have no opinion since they don't know.

One person says there are big vet bills breeding NH.. I say WHY scratch Others say there are worse things and I totally agree with that.

Some think that NH gives you the edge in the show pen. I say no it doesn't. Basketball

As far as I am concerned the only problem with an NH horse is your limits to who you can breed them to. I have owned them. And, if I like an NH stallion I would not hesitate to breed my NN mare to him. It doesn't bother me AT ALL.. horse

And for those who really don't know about HYPP and the market. I have always gotten way more money to an NH horse then my NN ones..

That's my story and I am sticking to it.. taz
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2009, 9:40 am

We cant market an HYPP horse in our area. I have owned them, One with not one bit of extra expense. Of corse she died in foal to Mr. Yella Fella, after we put over 100 AQHA points on her. She was 12. After the epoxy (I know that is spelt wrong) They said it was HYPP. She was very healthy, Happy, and we loved her dearly. Dearly enough that I will not put myself threw that again. Knowing it is a DEFECT! That is life threatening. At anymoment with our warning, as in her case. You know putting that horse at risk.

Is this better for the breed? Are we improving the breed? Yes, Id say HERDA is worse. The PSSM. Id say that is worse. But the whole point is. If you know your stallion or mare can pass on these defects why would you breed them? IS not the point to breed for the improvement of the breed and not promote the DEFECTS? Can a person in good faith, breed on purpose to get HYPP?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2009, 10:37 am

None of this is going to better the breed. It just makes it worse and carries it fruther down the lines. Then, spreds it in to the other breeds. Rolling Eyes

Strange thing is it's not just horses.. There are pigs and cattle with the same things going on. They just call it some thing different. scratch

Humans that have gene's they can pass on are still having children. I think this just goes on and on. ily
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 9:37 am

One of the differnences between HYPP and HERDA though is that those of us breeding cow horses are not breeding for HERDA, whereas some halter people do indeed breed for N/H horses. In my program, a HERDA positive foal would be not only a terrible thing, but a money loss. An N/H horse can, like BlueJay said, bring more money to the seller. So it keeps on going. Another difference is that with HERDA, you have a carrier satus where they are unaffected, but it can still be tested for. With HYPP, there is N/N, but no carrier status where you can ever really say they are unaffected.
I, personally, would never buy or breed an HYPP horse, but I respect people's rights to do what they want. I may not agree with it, but my opinion isn't likely to stop anyone.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2009, 3:57 pm

Dont forget the dreaded PSSM thats creeping in more and more, horses should be tested for this aswell
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2009, 9:02 pm

reiningfan

Sorry, but if your horse is NN it's not a carrier and needs nothing to say that. The gene is not there and cannot be passed on period. No I have bred my mares to NH horses. Not to get one. But, simply because I like the stud and has nothing to do with it. If I get one I don't care. It's not a death sentence. No

You also stated that people do not breed for HERDA, You are right about that. But, they still take a chance when they breed Poco lines (which is why we have HERDA to begin with). He is so out date that he is falling way back on the pedigree anyway. Rolling Eyes

And, then there is all the other stuff popping up. UGH affraid Lets not forget the OLWS.. People cross them all the time. There is only 25% chance you will get a lethal. I would NEVER take that gamble. I couldn't stand it. Crying or Very sad

We all sit around and talk about our horses faults. No one ever brings up quality. Like nice straight legs, good feet and bone, BRAIN, pretty like the breed should be, or crossing what ever to what ever just to apease ourselves. There are way more unwanted and grade horse out there who suffer way more then an HYPP horse. At least it normally gets taken care of the way it should be cared for.. BLAH BLAH BLAH.. Wink
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2009, 10:15 am

Quote :
Sorry, but if your horse is NN it's not a carrier and needs nothing to say that. The gene is not there and cannot be passed on period. HYPP Kopfschuettel I have bred my mares to NH horses. Not to get one. But, simply because I like the stud and has nothing to do with it. If I get one I don't care. It's not a death sentence. HYPP Kopfschuettel

For my N/H mare that was in foal to Mr. Yella Fella. That NEVER did show a sign in her whole life, It was Death Sentence her! I will not, promote HYPP.. Better selling, well. IF I advertize HYPP N/H.. I do not get a call. Expcept from someone wanting to show halter only. And then They are soooo picky. Sooo picky.. Personally. I don't even want to deal with them.. Our Breeders Futurity.. The stallions that did not sell at the live auction were the N/H stallions. I think the expense and The WHAT IF's that goes along with HYPP are a big factor. Keeping meds, Putting them on med's. Weather changes, stress, any thing that can set them off. Including Foaling. I guess, I know that there are just as good stallions that are N/N. I know it requires alittle more work to get that extra Something Something.. Put Id prefer the work over the risks.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2009, 11:15 am

HYPP is just one of many problems we have today with our horses.. Some are much worse. I don't promote it. I think we should all feel lucky it we produce a horse that is healthy, correct, pretty and has a great mind to go with it. cheers fishing

And, if we accomplish that we can hope the horse does not end up with colic, lamness, ulcers or some other new found problem. There are just too many things that can happen. study pray
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2010, 6:13 pm

On another forum, someone that use to post on here, mentioned this... She is looking to purchase anther gelding. She was for HYPP, this is her post.

A person said she had a 3 year old gelding for sale, her comment is as follows:

I am in AZ... whats is HYPP? I currently am showing my halter gelding.. Almost done with his superior.. After that he is retired... Do too many HYPP attacks.. He is the only N/H I have ever had one that is really symptomatic... Would love more pics maybe a video... I have removed her email address that was posted following this statement.

OK, here again ""for me"" is this saying what are you willing to put your horse threw to win????
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 11:46 am

maybe I am too judgemental but why would you own an Hypp + horse w/o understanding the disease and the treatment? If I was going to take that leap I would want to know absolutely everything I could about the disease process and treatment options before I even considered owning an animal with HYPP much less start asking questions after the fact. I too would never consider owning a + horse. You could give it too me and I wouldn't want it...
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:52 pm

Lynn, I never even thought about that, she is unable to control the HYPP attacks it seems. It is not worth putting a horse threw this to win. Not for me anyway.. Guess, I think to much of my horses. A lady is standing a really nice Hypp + Western pleasure stallion. She is giving a Hypp clause in her contracts, If you get postive, you get a free breeding the next year. To me this admitts that there is a problem, but if you watch her tape, she is say, its all good! Sort of anyway.

http://www.gumzfarms.com/Documents/INVSGuarantee.pdf

http://www.investnvitalsigns.com/breedinginfo.html

Love the horse, but she seems to be saying, since he and his dam have not had attacks, it all good..
Back to top Go down
playitcooklkid

playitcooklkid

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-20

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2010, 2:12 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
On another forum, someone that use to post on here, mentioned this... She is looking to purchase anther gelding. She was for HYPP, this is her post.

A person said she had a 3 year old gelding for sale, her comment is as follows:

I am in AZ... whats is HYPP? I currently am showing my halter gelding.. Almost done with his superior.. After that he is retired... Do too many HYPP attacks.. He is the only N/H I have ever had one that is really symptomatic... Would love more pics maybe a video... I have removed her email address that was posted following this statement.

OK, here again ""for me"" is this saying what are you willing to put your horse threw to win????

That would be me... Yes I do own HYPP horses.. Yes they do win... But I also love them and dont throw them out when I am done showing.. They get used for riding afterwards.. The horse that I was talking about is now under control with his attacks... He had a bad reaction to dac oil.. took him off the oil and he hasnt had an attack.. Yes I will own another.. People just dont know how to control or manage HYPP horses.. That is fine if no one wants to own them...But when I saw this I was like she doesnt even know me.... No I just dont throw them out when we are done.. The horse I am talking about is the love of my life.. He is treated like a king... So before you start throwing out other threads get your facts straight....

Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 9:40 am

To start with welcome to our board.

Next, it was a "Quote" I got off another forum, removed the name and address. Never said you Threw them out. Pretty much a direct quote, It was a quote, getting my statement correct, was (I guess) your quote. Fact is I have owned them, managed them, and will not own another. I sent feed with them, and their program they were on when I sold them as to keep them safe and hopefully healthy.

Quote :
So before you start throwing out other threads get your facts straight....
I quoted you. Not sure what you mean by facts straight, since it was a quote.
Jump in any time, hope to see back on here.
Back to top Go down
playitcooklkid

playitcooklkid

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 12:10 pm

This is what I am talking about... You basically took my thread and think I use my horses to win and then throw them out... I take awesome care of my HYPP N/H horses.. They get used for halter then we break them to ride and make them great riding horses.. I dont dump them.. They are loved and care for after they are done showing... Just wanted you to know I am not that kind of person..
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 1:15 pm

You know this HYPP thing soo touchy! I was not saying you would not take care of your boy never implied that. Those big brown eyes, just get to us. What a Face I just won't go there again, it breaks my heart to see them go threw the Hypp attacks. No matter how careful, sometimes its not enough, Or to lose one from it. I just don't have the heart for it anymore. Its not worth it to me.

My mare never showed a sign, it only took one time. And we lost her. That was enough for me. My Grandpa, born in 1902 use to say to me, you don't ride a hurting horse, you don't breed a mare that can't improve the breed, and most Stallions need to be geldings. If he were alive, I do believe he would be against breeding a mare/stallion that was positive.

Did you get your 50 points on your gelding? Is he living the retired life now?

Back to top Go down
playitcooklkid

playitcooklkid

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 1:51 pm

You know this HYPP thing soo touchy! I was not saying you would not take care of your boy never implied that. Those big brown eyes, just get to us. What a Face I just won't go there again, it breaks my heart to see them go threw the Hypp attacks. No matter how careful, sometimes its not enough, Or to lose one from it. I just don't have the heart for it anymore. Its not worth it to me.

My mare never showed a sign, it only took one time. And we lost her. That was enough for me. My Grandpa, born in 1902 use to say to me, you don't ride a hurting horse, you don't breed a mare that can't improve the breed, and most Stallions need to be geldings. If he were alive, I do believe he would be against breeding a mare/stallion that was positive.

Did you get your 50 points on your gelding? Is he living the retired life now?

I totally know what you mean.. It is so hard sometimes seeing them having an attack... It makes me sick sometimes when they are so bad... I really dont know why I am addicted to them... I owned my first one is 1995.. I cant tell you how many I have owned since then.. Jazz my gelding is the worst I have ever owned .. I have never seen a horse go through attacks like him.. Now I have him under control.. Dac oil made him have some horrible attacks.. I mean so bad that is took 5-7 hours for him to recop.. That is recommended for HYPP.. My other gelding can have DAC oil and never have a problem.. It does Kill me to see him go through it.. I am not going to lie.. But for some reason I am addicted to those kind of horses.. I told myself if I had to get rid of Jazz for whatever reason I would just put him down.. I know how to manage him and I really dont think he could live anywhere else.. he would probably suffer and die... He is the love of my life.. I am just glad that I got it under control...

I havent got all his points yet..lol 2.5 lefted.. I am 6 months pregnant and a high risk.. I had surgery on my cervix so I was on bed rest.. My friend is going to show him and get the rest of his points then he will get some time off from showing... Then next year I will break him to ride..

I know HYPP is touchy subject... I love them.. Thank god I work from home..lol
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 3:10 pm

I will say that Tammy does take excellent care of her horses and is one of the most knowledgeable people on this subject. I always go to her with questions.

I will say that I wouldn't intentionally BREED for a positive horse, but the fact is that there are plenty already HERE. They are for sure not for everyone, even Tammy will tell you that. But, until the gene not in the gene pool anymore, someone has to take care of the ones that are here now.

I don't think a person could possibly do more than Tammy does to keep her horses under control and I'm really glad she does something with hers! They are all spoiled, and as healthy as can be. They are super show horses and she kicks some serious behind with them!

Sometimes things said online get turned around, and this IS a touchy subject, but talking about it is good because people can share their knowledge Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
playitcooklkid

playitcooklkid

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 5:49 pm

SilverBuckleHorses wrote:
I will say that Tammy does take excellent care of her horses and is one of the most knowledgeable people on this subject. I always go to her with questions.

I will say that I wouldn't intentionally BREED for a positive horse, but the fact is that there are plenty already HERE. They are for sure not for everyone, even Tammy will tell you that. But, until the gene not in the gene pool anymore, someone has to take care of the ones that are here now.

I don't think a person could possibly do more than Tammy does to keep her horses under control and I'm really glad she does something with hers! They are all spoiled, and as healthy as can be. They are super show horses and she kicks some serious behind with them!

Sometimes things said online get turned around, and this IS a touchy subject, but talking about it is good because people can share their knowledge Wink

Thanks Jolese.. That is sweet..

Yes it does but that is why I came back to let others know that is not what I am about .. Smile
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 9:27 am

Oh, you Ladies know each other... Now I see..

Congrats Tammy on Expecting! How very wonderful for you. Do you know if you are having a girl or boy???
Back to top Go down
playitcooklkid

playitcooklkid

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 12:15 pm

Oh, you Ladies know each other... Now I see..

Congrats Tammy on Expecting! How very wonderful for you. Do you know if you are having a girl or boy???

Lol.. I am having a little boy.. Hayden is his name and I am 6 months pregnant.. I have had a high risk pregnancy but things are going good now.. Thank God... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HYPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HYPP   HYPP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HYPP
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next