Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Empty
PostSubject: Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?   Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2009, 9:29 pm

My older mare will stand and doze off. Then, her head will go down to the dirt and I have seen her go down on her knees then wake up. scratch I have seen her do this a few times. When I yell at her to wake up she goes on her way.. scratch

She does nothing else strange. She is 23 this year and open. The first time I saw it was last year when she had a foal that we ended up loosing from ruptured bladder. When we were in the stall caring for the foal she would close her eye's , head would go down, then her front legs went limp. No

Anyone ever seen this before or have any thoughts on it.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?   Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2009, 9:29 pm

Forty years ago I had a 2 year old arab stud colt..... I saw him do that once. We had been out riding the beach of Lake Michigan all day. He was beat. It was early evening....He walked over to my half-draft mare, got sleepy-eyed......His knees buckled, and he went down. He woke right up. I had him for another 12 years, and I never saw him do it again.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?   Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2009, 11:31 am

She would have no reason to be that tired unless she was not sleeping in her stall? LOL..
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?   Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2009, 6:43 pm

At her age she may have some arthritis...Maybe she's having a problem with locking her knee joints when she sleeps.

Tucker's mom went to her knees once when she was eating cob. She just got all shakey and went down. I called the vet....He checked her out. He said her teeth were just peachy....and he thought maybe she was so excited about getting the grain that she just "forgot herself". She never did it again.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?   Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2009, 10:05 pm

Her legs do not slip until her nose hits the dirt. I know you have seen kids nod off.. This is just what it looks like.. She falls asleep. No fear here.. Sleep

You would think at her age she would be a little stiff sometimes or sore. She has never made a move like that.. We've had her since 1998 and not one singel step ever that looked like she was stiff or sore.. Nor, a runny nose, sneeze or sniffle.. She did get a little thin on me once. She eats when and what she wants.. I put her on cadence to keep her weight up.. She has done great this winter.. icecream

She is a total love, kind and sweet. One of those you let the grandkids get on and she just takes them for an easy ride (even the babies).. Not a cross bone in her body. When she decides she doesn't like her food I just switch it up for awhile until she gets tired of that.. Rolling Eyes

This mare is one of the last few Little Town daughters (AQHA Supreme Champion). She has been my best brood mare and part of our family. She will be here until the Lord calls her home. My husband is so funny and knows me well. He told me that I need to let him know if she is suffering. I knew what he meant and I assured him I would not let her suffer. I expect she will live in to her 30's. Never a bad day in her life and always pampered and cared for.. I love you

lol! He was so pissed when I paid 6000.00 for her in 1998. Worth every dime of it.. cheers cheering
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?   Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you ever seen a horse fall down when it's sleeping?
Page 1 of 1