Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Horse

Go down 
+3
Merikle Waters
Triple J Quarter Horses
shazgeoff
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

New Horse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Horse   New Horse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2008, 1:22 am

Either way, thats a big sign when you see a horse standing like that. Front feet, back feet, it hurts both ways.

Will standing like that have any affect on their good feet?
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

New Horse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Horse   New Horse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2008, 9:41 pm

JJJ those shots are terrible. POOR BABY.. You can see how much pain that horse is in.. Sad Laminitis and founder are the same thing..

The grass or what ever are not the only reasons this happens. They can trailer founder, stress founder and there are many reasons this happens. Horses do not carry themselves this way with an abcess.. An abcess will go away.. Laminits/founder are forever.. Not even close to the same thing. study

The treatment for abcess is not what it used to be either. Soaking does not help. You can stand there all day. You soften the foot and it takes FOREVER.. Plus, you have to keep it almost sterile and the temp has to be as hot as the horse can stand it.. I use the black tary Itchthamole (not sure about the spelling) and wrap for two days and change it. After about two changes it's gone. Course if you love to stand around and do it the old fationed way that is what you should do.. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

New Horse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Horse   New Horse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2008, 7:04 am

ok so what would you say the best way to draw an abcess out.

Ive been soaking his foot in epsom salts and also every other day soaking it in Keratex hoof wash come disenfectant,strong stuff.

We have been putting hot poultices on aswell and hits drawn out loads of black goo.

Going to buy him a plastic boot as ive no stables he wearing out the duck tape etc ive been wrapping it in. My ground is getting very wet and muddy which i know is not helping.

Dont want to soften the foot to much as its going to allow more bacteria in with pores open and all.
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

New Horse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Horse   New Horse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2008, 8:27 am

I have only had one with an abcess and didnt do anything for it. It just blew out the top of her hoof. Didnt the vets use to drill a hole?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Horse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Horse   New Horse - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Horse
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2