Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1990 Gelding - need advice!

Go down 
5 posters

What to do with the almost 18yo gelding?
Sell
1990 Gelding - need advice! Vote_lcap33%1990 Gelding - need advice! Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Keep
1990 Gelding - need advice! Vote_lcap22%1990 Gelding - need advice! Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Lease
1990 Gelding - need advice! Vote_lcap44%1990 Gelding - need advice! Vote_rcap
 44% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

1990 Gelding - need advice! Empty
PostSubject: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2007, 12:22 pm

Okay so Mr Darcy (reg name Buco Pal) came home and the people that had him LOVED him but I'm glad I picked him up after 18months - I missed the old guy and his toes were long (trimmed but bad farrier) and his tendons were getting stretched. Otherwise he was in super good condition and no worse for the wear.

Here is the kicker - my sister (who lives in D.C.) has owned Darcy since 1995 when we bought him right after he won the Ranch Gelding Show at San Antonio Livestock show - he has his performance ROM and qualified to AQHA world in team penning twice - you can do all of the following off of him COMPETITIVELY:
Team Pen
Head
Heel
Calf Rope
Bull Dog
Cut (avg score 72 - not great but not shabby)
Rein
Horsemanship
Small jumps (under 3ft)
Barrels (3-4D max)
Poles (I have no idea but he is super clean)
He is just one heck of a horse and you can put ANYONE on him - he is not for beginners unless they are supervised...he isn't a big fan of being told to do 3 things at once unless all of the cues are right - otherwise he stops and eats anything handy (horse could eat a tree if allowed).

So - I'm broke and can't really afford the $150/month in costs associated...thus the poll.
Do I keep him and send my sister the bill (since she may refuse to sell him)
Lease him out again (free lease, they pay for everything associated)
or
Sell him (price yet to be determined)
Sorry this is so long but help?!?
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2007, 12:44 pm

I want him! haha he's perfect!
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2007, 1:09 pm

I vote that you send him to me.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2007, 10:55 am

Okey dokey - so there is an update....
My sister has agreed to the following - she will pay expenses until I get him sales preped...THEN I am allowed to sell him!
I figure it will be a good 60 days to get him fit, slick, etc...
The plan is to price him high and stick to it...he has a bunch of buckles/cash/blankets/etc left in him!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2007, 10:48 am

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Question though - how long will sis pay for upkeep if you can't sell him?

Send me a video of him riding and I think I can get him sold for ya pronto!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2007, 3:25 pm

Sis is an atty in D.C. - she is kinda "Big Time"...ok - really big time...she will pay indefinately...She Looooooves her boy (we've owned him since '95)
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2007, 9:44 pm

Well, as long as Sis is paying, who the heck cares....

Your sister sounds like mine. I have her Trakener/Holsteiner here.. been here seems forever. She pays monthly on him, comes and rides him about twice a year, I kid you not... whatever, ya know... criminey!
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2007, 2:22 am

LOL, he sounds like my 20 year old gelding that I just bought back. He has done all the things your gelding has done except calf roping, bulldogging and jumping. LOL!! I bought him back with the intention of re-selling him to an approved home, but my hubby wants to keep him. I agreed as long as he continues to earn his keep. He still ropes, so when we have friends come over, they heel on him and I have him leased to two different people and I give riding lessons on him, so he pretty much earns his keep. If he didn't I would have to sell him. My worry is supporting him when he gets too old to work.

I'm glad you sister is going to pay his expenses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Gelding - need advice!   1990 Gelding - need advice! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1990 Gelding - need advice!
Page 1 of 1