Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

6 years ago today!

Go down 
+8
PHENOMADACIOUS
Cindy
RoanRider420
SilverBuckleHorses
Lynn M.
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle
REINING CHICK
Kidd Kuhlmann
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 5:05 pm

Today, August 3, has special meaning for me and I thought I'd share:

6 years ago, on August 3, 2001 at about 10:15am I was in an arena with a helmet on, riding a 3yo AQHA filly at a walk. We were walking small circles to get warmed up and work on bending. We had trotted for a few minutes and were going a slow easy warm up. I was turning her to the left when she stumbled and stepped on the end of her split reins, got scared and lost her balance. She fell over backwards on top of me and we hit the ground together. She stood up while I was sitting up. She caught me twice in the face and once in the butt (a perfect purple horse shoe facing up about 2mm under my tailbone). My helmet cracked down the back and a small portion of the back of my head hit a rock (resulting in a nickle sized bald spot on the back of my head near the base of my skull). Every bone in my face was shattered. I was taken by ambulance to a hospital, then by helicopter to a different hospital. 2 inches of my nose was lodged in my brain and I was leaking Cerebral Spinal Fluid for 6 days before the swelling went down enough to do surgery. Multiple surgeries later, many staples, stitches, titanium plates, stainless steel wires, putty, mesh and really good drugs later I am happy to be here.

I was consious the entire time and remember everything from the impact to the ambulance ride to the helicopter on...

I am more than blessed to be here and KNOW that there is a purpose for me here! I would not trade this for anything and yet I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

To all of you - wear a blasted helmet! It is definitely worth being here (even if I do look like a dork cheers )!

I celebrate today more than I do my birthday to be honest... I had a prayer answered (be careful what you ask God for...He has a twisted sense of humor sometimes Razz ) and I couldn't ask for anything more!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 6:13 pm

holy crap!!!!!!!! im glad your here to talk about it. that is just crazy.
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-04-23

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 6:38 pm

Wow, I am so glad that you are still here with us! I had an incident last year and I don't remember it at all. I was riding Rowdy and he did very well that night so when my son asked me to ride doubles I said yes. We went around the indoor arena twice and I told my son that is enough as Rowdy has never done this but then decided for a third time. Well it was enough for Rowdy as he let loose like a rodeo bronc mind you I ride with only a bareback pad. I made the first two jumps and then hit the ground. I don't remember anything but here is Kody's version. Rowdy bucked us off and then bucked down the arena where I caught him. I then started to yell at him and jerked on the reins. It must have been then I realized that I was bleeding profusely and told him to go get Cindy(Stable owner). She came out and put Rowdy up then took me to her house. There was blood everywhere from my nose as when I was jerking Rowdy I kept wiping it off on my arm and sleeve. I had a major headache for days and a broken nose. When my mom went in the arena to check on Rowdy she could see where he made skid marks when he jumped and where I landed. Kody thankfully was not hurt at all and not phased by the incident. Yes it was very bad judgement on my part and now I ride with my helmet always!
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 9:38 pm

Sheesh!

Broken noses are NOT fun! They've had to re-break mine at least 4-5 times now (I forget exactly...one of those things I try to forget)...and I STILL have to go get it broken again!!! Ugh!!! I FEEL for you on that deal!!!!

I was very blessed that mine went the way it did, God was watching out for me in a HUGE way!

These things remind you though, horses are very powerful and wonderful!!! Safety first - helmet and cell phone are never far from me!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 10:05 pm

Ive had 2 situations where my helmet has cracked in half better that than my head!!!!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2007, 11:17 pm

Wow girl, you sure are a lucky one. I'm glad you're still around to share all your horsey knowledge with us, and I'm sure your husband is real glad you're around too. I've had my fair share of accidents, one in particular I was literally lucky to live through, and the doctor's couldn't believe I wasn't more injured than I came out to be...
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
RoanRider420

RoanRider420

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-07-05

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2007, 8:44 am

Holy crap!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2007, 4:02 pm

WOW! So glad to have you here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2007, 5:42 pm

Glad you're here a while longer! sunny
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2007, 9:10 pm

HOLY COW. That really sucks and I am so happy you are here to talk about it. Horses can and are very dangerous.. At least you had sense enough to wear a helmet.. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bellablue

Bellablue

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-05-10

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2007, 12:21 am

Oh my gosh... What a journey you must have gone through.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2007, 7:33 am

I can't even imagine! I'm just glad you made it through all right, especially at your young age... let that happen to one of us old ones, and we'd probably be down for the count.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2007, 10:12 am

Guess the Good Lord had a few more plans for ya! OUCH!pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

6 years ago today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6 years ago today!   6 years ago today! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

6 years ago today!
Page 1 of 1