Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Our Show

Go down 
+6
Bluejay
reiningfan
Triple J Quarter Horses
shazgeoff
Merikle Waters
SilverBuckleHorses
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2008, 11:18 pm

We have a big APHA show coming up next weekend for the two halter yearlings I have and I didn't want THAT to be their first show, so I decided to go to a Blue Ribbon Show. It's definitly not your average open show, this is the prep for all the breed show people. All in all, the day went ok. There was a freeway closure which kept half the people (including ME) from getting there on time. It was HOT! BUT, I got some really nice pictures of the babies and they did ok, considering, lol.

Plain Party Dress (Kid Coolsified x Sensational Miss)

Keep in mind how awesome this filly is, we picked her up from Tuscon on Friday (four hour trip) and she hadn't really been handled in a year, isn't fit and her neck is VERY chunky lol. She showed like a champ though, tied at the trailer well and BOY, does this filly have some ring presence! We were second under one judge and third under another, which put us back for grand and reserve and gave us second overall. One cool thing I have found out is that I'm 99% sure this filly can be double registered...

Our Show HPIM1181

Our Show HPIM1191

Our Show HPIM1161

Political Party (Mighty Awesome x Dominate Irish Clu)

"Copper" was an A$$. He was just very rude at the trailer and in the show pen. He did stand still for half the thing though, so I guess this is nice, but I think the heat just irritated the crap out of him, and it was his first show. I sincerely think we would have done better in his class had his manners been better, because it's hard to show a horse that is trying to take chunks out of you :-/ I've decided that a lip chain is the way to show this guy until his manners are better (and I guarentee you, they WILL BE BETTER). Even so, we managed to get a third under both judges :-) Oh, the colt that went grand was super nice, been in a fitting program since birth lol. Actually, was top ten at APHA world show, so I'm not dissapointed here either. This little stinker does need some work though, but he's been at my house for all of, oh, 11 days? lol. He also needs some farrier work, I don't think he's ever had his feet done :-/

Our Show HPIM1136

Our Show HPIM1140

Our Show HPIM1145

But anyways, thanks for looking :-) We'll win first eventually, but I look at it like this, we weren't last either :-) And atleast my filly was very well behaved :-D
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2008, 11:25 pm

for a first show, I'd say GOOD JOB! I hate that first show with a youngin... absolutely hate it! But looks like you guys did awesome! Congrats!

Just lookin at mr studly... it looks like on his LF he has a splint? Maybe that hurt him some?

I am actually a little happy at times the more QH/Paint dominated shows will place also based upon manners... I showed on the welsh/sport pony (american sp) circuit this year, and O-M-G. Doesn't matter if your horse tries to breed you in the ring, they will still place him if he's the nicest looking one. I for one, hate that. No manners, I wouldnt place them. But we do all have to start somewhere with the young ones. your guy looks like he was nervous, time will help him do better Smile
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2008, 11:42 pm

He was nervous, it was his first show :-)

From what I've noticed from watching a ton of halter shows, halter horses get splints :-) There was actually just an article on it in the AQHA journal. He got it because his prior owners never wrapped his legs and let me tell you, in turn out, this kid is full of himself lol. I always wrap his legs, any time he is going to do ANY work at all, or run around. Actually, I looked at some other pictures of the colt who took grand, the world top ten horse, and he has a splint on his RF too, so I don't think that's it. Splints are not a conformation fault, although they can be caused from a conformation fault, or a high impact blow, like my colt.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 5:32 am

well done,nice looking horses you have there.Welcome over here hehehe
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 9:56 am

Quote :
"Copper" was an A$$.
Hee Hee, Welcome to the world of Jr. Stallions.. Got to love them! My husband says NO MORE Jr. Colts.. alien

Quote :
Just lookin at mr studly... it looks like on his LF he has a splint? Maybe that hurt him some?

Nah, I put points on Tucker with two. SB was able to look her class over and do some judging for herself. Seems as though she knows what she needs do. Just play catch up.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 10:15 am

You know our open shows dont have grand and res. So, how do they do this, one class 2 and under, then 3 and over?
Im Planning an Fair show, I got roped into that one.. Evil or Very Mad Anyway, 7 Ceders has mentioned it at open show in Texas and I thought heck, why not here. Sooo Im giving the awards for that, Halter Bag and Directors Chair embroidered with Grand Champion Henderson County Fair, 2009
and Then the halter bag, I can do the embroider machine. Plus Ribbons, No payback On Grand And Reserve.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 10:41 am

Congrats. Great job. They both look great.

As for grand & reserve at open shows here, what most of them do is have the 1st & 2nd placing horse from all the 14.2hh and under classes show against each other. And the 1st & 2nd placings from all the 14.2hh & over classes against each other. You can end up with weanling fillies showing against aged geldings and studs. Somewhat interesting. We get grand with my daughter's mare in the 14.2hh and under quite frequently. They have now changed the rules so that all registered stock type horses must show in the horse division, regardless of whether they are 14hh or 15.2.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 11:02 am

You should always use a lip chain on a stallion. More so when you have him out around other horses and people. ALWAYS. I don't care how strong you are. A shank will not stop them. If they get ahead of you and hurt someone you are in big trouble. You can keep them under control and they do listen better with it in place. I use a rein stopper at the halter to keep it in place. Make sure you know how to properly use one as well. It's not used like a shank. study

I only use a lip chain when I am asking Tommy to set up and show himself. When you are working and training for this make sure you always do the full halter pattern. Then when you go in the ring he will know exactly what he should be doing. Basketball

Not all halter horses get slints. And can be marked down for them by some judges. Infact, most of them do not have them. No And, wrapping should be done. But, they can get them just out running in the play pen. They are caused by them coming down too hard on the legs. Tommy got them from just running around in the arena at play time. Our arena is bedded pretty deep and is soft. He'd get out there and raise H3!!. Rolling Eyes There are some products that will take them away (or plend them in so you cannot see them). And, splint boots when ever he is out will help prevent them. I finally put those and bell boots on Tom so he would not get any more at play time.

Open show are great for training and getting the experience on you and the horse. Most of the judges are really good about telling you what you need to work on. If you plan to put points on him you will have to go to the breed shows. Smile

Double registering is great if you can do it. Lots of rules and regs on that one. And, of course everything down the line on the pedigree has to do it as well. Good luck on that and I hope it works out. Really makes the horse much more valuble. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 11:37 am

I'm all for using a lip chain, and I do know how to use one :-) But unfortunately he hasn't had enough time to get used to it and he grinds his teeth, etc. We are working on it though, and by the show this weekend, which is a breed show, he should be fine with it.

I didn't mean that all halter horses get splints, but a lot of them do. Look at some horses a week or two after the world show, with all that extra weight, a lot of them pop splints, on top of the pressure / stress / increased work from preperation. Ya know, I've heard about some of those products, anyone have a name?

As for the double registering, every horse back in her pedigree has an AQHA number, there was only one line of horses that went back about four generations to find the AQHA number. Her sire is AQHA and her dam's dam is AQHA, the only line that wasn't was the dam of Sockett Sensation, which goes back to AQHA lines a few generations back.

With our open shows here, we have each halter class seperated by age and sex, just like AQHA. For our grand and reserve class, it is seperated by sex and first and second place horses from their age division come in to be judged as like a champion of champion stallion, gelding, etc... You can find their show premium at this link, incase you're interested. This is the largest and toughest open show in AZ. I'm telling you, pulling first -sixth is harder at this show than at the breed shows. You basically get the best of the best of the Appys, AQHA, and APHA horses all showing under one roof. http://www.blueribbonhorseshows.com/premium.html

I know that when you show you're supposed to use some kind of a "keeper", could someone explain to me how this works on the lip chain?

LOL, TJ that's no joke about the little boys, I really do enjoy him though, it was just a series of unfortunate events that made his day a little more stressfull than it had to be lol. Thanks though!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 12:51 pm

The KEEPER, Which I love showing a stallion... cheers Slides over the chain and snap. It fits on the outside of the halter ring where the Cheek strap and nose band comes togather. You have to have 2 links showing by AQHA rules I think its 2. Its been awhile... Anyway the are made out of leather or Rubber.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/HalterHorses/messages/?msg=5284.1
Check this out, I noticed you have been on this site, You will see the keeper on this yearling.

Quote :
You should always use a lip chain on a stallion. More so when you have him out around other horses and people. ALWAYS. I don't care how strong you are. A shank will not stop them. If they get ahead of you and hurt someone you are in big trouble. You can keep them under control and they do listen better with it in place.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 1:18 pm

OH, I just went and looked at the photographers pictures, there were six fillies in that class! So I'm pretty happy, they were a nice pen of fillies too, not one that doesn't show at the breed shows.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 2:08 pm

well where can we go to see these photos????
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 2:42 pm

Here is the fillies class, the little bay filly is a lounge liner. I'll be the one showing in the pinkish jacket w/ the black hat.

http://paulaphoto.exposuremanager.com/g/6-2007_mares

Here is the colt's class, lol... The one horse we placed in front of, I wish the little guy would have taken my spot, he was so well behaved and Copper was a BUTT. There were four in this class, colt that took first was Coolest Mister Yet, he was top ten at the APHA world show, very nice horse. And I can't recall the name of the colt that took reserve, but he was very nice and I think he was a tributes mister colt as well, I know I've seen them around before.

http://paulaphoto.exposuremanager.com/g/2-2007_geldings__stallions
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 3:15 pm

you got third right?? I really like the profile photo that the person took, It looks good... Cool Of your colt.

What fillie beat you???

I love looking a these, even more so since Im not in them.. Hee hee.. I will State AQHA and I tell my daughter, Here hold the horse and have your picute taken with it.. Hee hee..

Wow the gelding class was big. Still not the quality of your breed shows though. Good luck Next week end. riding
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 4:03 pm

I think the filly that beat us was was shown by the girl in the showmanship outfit.

The geldings class was pretty big, actually, as far as the quality, two of the horses are owned by Tammy (Dlux Show Horses). Cocktails, who she showed, is a congress grand champion. The gelding her husband showed has around 30 halter points I think. The gelding that the young girl was showing, he took grand and I have seen him win grand at a bunch of AQHA shows. Then there's the liver chestnut w/ four stockings, that colt has won a ton of money. I think they were the only four breed show in the class, Im on my phone now so Ill have to look when I get back home. I've been showing with all these guys for awhile lol, since Scotch was just a little guy.
Back to top Go down
Hezadlux

Hezadlux

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 7:30 pm

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
Wow the gelding class was big. Still not the quality of your breed shows though. Good luck Next week end. riding

UMM.. Really?? I had two of the nicest geldings in the class...

One is two time AQHA Congress Champion and the other has also 60 combined points in Ammy and Open in the AQHA..

Some of the pics didnt to the horses justice.. You can not judge by the pics..
Back to top Go down
http://dluxshowhorses.tripod.com/
Hezadlux

Hezadlux

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 7:33 pm

Oh by the way.. I think your horses did great for pulling them out of a stall.. Never being fit on or going to a show.. You did a great job with them.. cheers

That filly is going to kick come butt.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://dluxshowhorses.tripod.com/
Bluejay

Bluejay

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 8:47 pm

Takes a whole lotta whoop ha to get those other papers. But, if the sire and dam are already reg QH then all you have to do is register her. I am not sure how much it cost scratch But, should not be too bad since she is just a yearling. I know the price goes up as they get older.

I am glad you know how to use a lip chain. Some people do not and shank on them like they would a shank and really tear up their mouths. He will get used to it. Once you get someone about 12 feet tall who can reach him when he puts his nose as far up in the air as it will go.. lol!

I see in this shot of Chad that he has the chain in the colts mouth. I would not do that if you ever expect to ride him (and I hope you do). Don't worry about his grinding his teeth. Some do that all their lives, stick out their toung and do a range of other strange things.. My stud just moves his mouth around. I try to keep it loose enough that it does not bother him and only tighten it up when he needs correction. And, true about the two link rule. But, no one really looks at that and it will not be there when you are correcting them and will when it is relaxed. The judges are happy to see you are in total control of your stallion.

Funny post Delux. Well, not funny ha ha. Just about made me cry. I just lost a colt by the stud that Chad owns (DRP). Looks identical right down to the up right in the front legs.. I had the same problem with mine before he died. And, Chad's stud looks just like that and his foals have his stamp. They get that from Wincredible. king

This leg trouble was not from over doing the colt either. He just grew so fast he could not keep up with himself. He died from PSSM. Started when he was just 4.5 months old. I just lost him this June when he had another terrible attach from it.. He was a yearling. Really did look exactly like Chad's colt right down to the little star. Broke my heart. Still does. If you have not been to his web site you should go and look. You will see what I mean by the stamp.. He is really awesome.. cheers
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 10:48 pm

Quote :
UMM.. Really?? I had two of the nicest geldings in the class...
JMO.. All I have to go by is the pictures. Suspect Again JMO
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 10:57 am

Pictures do make it hard to tell in some of them. Just like deciding a horse is lame by a bad picture.. Rolling Eyes

SB, where are your earings? queen I have seen many people just pull them out and do well in the show pen. I think that is great. And, the first show all you can really hope for is to get through it without embarrising yourself in my book.. Things can only get better from that point on. cheering

And, it was TJ that put the link in to Chad and his DRP colt from delphine forum. Did you do that on purpose or not realize scratch Good shot of the stopper there.. Dancing
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 11:52 am

Quote :
Did you do that on purpose or not realize

Im sorry, sure didnt realize that. I was just trying to find a close up picture of an keeper being used. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 11:56 am

LOL, I was in such a huge hurry to get him to the ring, I forgot them lol. My mom did buy me one of those nice new number things that just slip right over your collar, hopefully that was blingy enough. I cant even tell you how much I LOVE the new number thing, maskes everything easier!

I am very happy with them, considering the circumstances lol. Especially her, we hauled her on a four hour trip the day before, washed, clipped, and snipped her lol. It was a very busy and exciting weekend :-) I love my babies though, they both have very unique and fun personalities.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 9:49 pm

Lip chain - my experience. First, I want to make it blatently clear, that for years, and I'm talking years, I was against lip chains. My philosophy was, if you had one that needed it, then he didn't need to be a stud or the handler ought to learn how to deal with studs.

Uh, that is, until I bought Kid. Now, you guys know me, so remember that.

We'd been showing at a ton of open shows, and a couple of quarter shows... this eating me up thing was just about to get on my nerves, not including somehow getting my bra moved around, plus my hat... well, one day, I was at my favorite open show, and that stupid sucker wouldn't quit squirming around... now, look, I've practiced and practiced... the smart A-hole knew danged well I wouldn't rip his head off in a show - my fault.

So between grand and reserve, I get his butt outside of the pen, back where our stalls were, with Rick having a freaking fit, and I'm putting that danged lip chain on... one way or freaking another, I"m fixing to rip his head off!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm talking, I was PO"d big time! Once I got that thing on there, I tell ya, I jerked that think a couple of times, made sure I had his attention and then went back in for grand and reserve, got grand, and he DIDN'T MOVE!!!!

Never EVER had I had the lip chain on him! Needless to say, that's what we did from them on. He always seemed to know, that once I put that on, there was no freaking funny business, if I heard him utter a word, I'd rip his head off, much less that squiggling around - which I abhor!

Yes, you'll need the stay; if not, you'll literally have to hold the danged thing with your thumb - I ain't joking!

Now, here's a trick if he gives you trouble on putting the lip chain on. On your side, meaning his left side, put your thumb at the point where his teeth and back jaw are. I learned this FINALLY!!!! This will cause him to gap his mouth a bit, and you just simply put it on there, and if he clamps down, he's biting the side of his jaw... tehe! Works like a charm!

DON'T PRACTICE WITH IT! Just do it. One good yank, and make danged sure you go back with him - don't you dare try to hold him with that thing. If you do, he's going to go spastic. There's a trick on using the lip chain, you have to know when to tighten it up, jerk it, or wiggle it, or whatever...
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2008, 2:07 am

Triple J Quarter Horses wrote:
Quote :
"Copper" was an A$$.
Hee Hee, Welcome to the world of Jr. Stallions.. Got to love them! My husband says NO MORE Jr. Colts.. alien

Quote :

Nah, I put points on Tucker with two. SB was able to look her class over and do some judging for herself. Seems as though she knows what she needs do. Just play catch up.

I just thought that because a very spectacular welsh pony stallion I was showing this year often lost the grand because of his splints (the judges actually said that to us). He had splints from apparently jumping his paddock walls at 4 mos...

I just hope my colts "splint look alike" doesnt hurt him... I *hope*!

As for lip chains, I choose not to use one on my colt. Only for the reason I dont trust myself with it. I'm worried he'd Pss me off and I'd yank on it too hard or something. We did some work with it, and even with no pressure he was quite upset. But this is also the weirdo colt who has no issues with me clipping his ears... but is really upset with his legs being clipped.

I talked with the president of the APHC (Alberta Paint Horse Club) and he said I would not be looked down upon or placed lower for showing the way I do... With a chain over the nose. I feel confident with it, and Tristan knows he dang well better listen. Its not going to stop him if he really wanted to go, but he'd be in some deep trouble if he tried anything LOL and he knows it! He is quite respectful with his chain, as I have used it with him since he was quite young. LOL I hope he keeps up his "I love you mommy" attitude, or he's going to be loosing some nackers! Laughing Thats just MO of course.

That keeper thingy is a superb idea! hold the lip chain in place, how cool! LOL never would have thought of that.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2008, 8:47 am

I don't show Pep with a lip chain. I just use a chain over his nose.
His tongue has a very nasty scar from being reefed on when he was at the trainer's who was supposed to buy him. He gets so worried about a mouth or lip chain that I don't use one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Our Show Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Show   Our Show Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our Show
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next