Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Putting down a horse

Go down 
+5
SuperLope
Triple J Quarter Horses
BeePrettyJack
PHENOMADACIOUS
Merikle Waters
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Putting down a horse Empty
PostSubject: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2007, 1:23 am

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. Since I am pretty sure I will be putting down my first horse this year, I am wondering if a horse can be fed right before being put down?

This mare has been denied most of her favorite foods because of her condition, and its her favorite things in life other than foals.

Could I give her her favorite grains right before having her put down?
Back to top Go down
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2007, 12:06 am

I'm assuming you mean the same day/hour or whatever? In tech speak, it won't be a problem, simply because horses can't vomit, thus you have no worries of aspiration.
Back to top Go down
BeePrettyJack

BeePrettyJack

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2007, 12:38 am

Merikle, sorry to hear you may be going through this, it is never easy. Sad As far as I know, yes, they can be fed whatever before hand- my vet never told me different anyway.... When I had Jack put down last fall he had breakfast and I handfed him cut up apples before hand.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2007, 2:12 am

BeePrettyJack wrote:
Merikle, sorry to hear you may be going through this, it is never easy. Sad As far as I know, yes, they can be fed whatever before hand- my vet never told me different anyway.... When I had Jack put down last fall he had breakfast and I handfed him cut up apples before hand.

Yes... I have never had a horse die, and have only had one foal be lost so far... I cannot even imagine what it will be like... But I am sure it will be less painful than continuing to watch her suffer...

She is so skinny now... Its a terrible thing to watch a horse I have put so much effort, time and money into to make sound again.... and to have her go worse than I got her. This last bout with founder was the last straw for her...

I just want to take the best of care that I can with this foal she has in her belly right now, as it will be her legacy, and no matter what I will keep it.

I love this mare to death, and I know how much she loves her grain. So I would love to give her a good feeding before her final minutes here with us.

Thank you both for your response... It is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
BeePrettyJack

BeePrettyJack

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2007, 5:45 pm

Good luck with her and that foal. Keep us posted, and we are here to help if you need us!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2007, 8:06 pm

When is she due to foal? Do you have her on bute? Pain can cause her slip one or go early, TO early. If you don't have her on bute, Id ask my vet. And they are telling you NO grain at all?
Back to top Go down
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2007, 11:22 pm

They took Barbaro out to graze before they put him to sleep

I'm sorry that you have to go through this but at least you will have her baby
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2007, 5:52 pm

I haven't checked this section in a while, and saw this. I'm so sorry, Merikle, that you have to go through this. I've had to go through putting down one of my mares, and I squalled and squalled, but I knew it was time.

Thankfully, you will have her foal.
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2007, 6:05 pm

I dont read this section much either, but I just read this.

I had my very first horse of 26 years put down just a few months ago. I am so sorry to hear about yours too Crying or Very sad . I know exaclty what you are feeling and going through.

About feeding her right before, go for it. I fed my mare all she could handle until th vet got there. I swear she ate til she was happy. It made me happy to see her eat like she did. She came up for air a few times and had food and stuff all over her mouth. Reminded me of a kid with spaghetti. Thats what I want to remember, her engorging herself and being happy at that moment.

Im a little bit of an emotional person, so I kept her forelock. I braided her mane and tail, cut her new bridle path, whiskers, and ears. I didnt want her to meet her old friend looking like an orphan. She wore her lavender halter and her winter blanket, it was hers to take.

If you need to talk to someone, I will be more than happy to listen. I know what its like. Im so sorry.
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2007, 2:14 am

I don't read this section much either. I'm so sorry to hear you are facing this, I'm here if you need to talk. The mare is lucky to have you to take care of her, you'll both be in my prayers and I would say feed her whatever she likes before the vet comes.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2007, 9:04 pm

This is a terrible thing to have to go through. If it were my horse and had to be done I would spend some special time to say good bye and give her all her favorite treats.. I love you Sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting down a horse   Putting down a horse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting down a horse
Page 1 of 1