Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?

Go down 
+2
Ragdoll
RoperChick
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RoperChick

RoperChick

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Empty
PostSubject: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2007, 3:36 pm

I had to bring my 29 year old gelding, Memo, in from the pasture he was in (with a mini mule and a burro), because he was having trouble keeping weight on.

He is current on worming and has had recent dentistry. He's now on alfalfa 2x a day with a flake of Orchard grass as a mid day snack. He also gets senior feed, timothy pellets, O&M, platinum performance, MSM and soy bean meal, which I soak with water.

He's been on this feeding program at our boarding stable for about two weeks, but he he isn't putting on weight like I would like. I suspect there may be something else going on, so he's going to have a blood test on the 17th. Or maybe I'm just being impatient? He does seem to feel better and have more energy, so that's definitely better.

Any experience with older horses or suggestions for putting weight on this old guy would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Ragdoll

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2007, 7:40 pm

I've had several horses and/or pomies that were given to me because they were so old, they had no teeth, and couldn't eat. A couple were so bad that when they tried to chew hay or grass, it would come popping out the side of the mouth. (it's called quidding) I fed all of them the same way. I gave them alfalfa pellets (small amounts at first) soaked in water, with a little corn meal and/or rolled oats and vitamins stirred in. They're fat and looking young in no time!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2007, 10:08 pm

I have a 21 year old mare that really got down and was looking bad. I put her on Cadence.. I had seen some friends use it and it works great for getting the weight up and holding it up there.. Jamie got 1lb cadence twice a day with her 2lb oats and alfalfa also twice a day.. Cadence is made by Nutrena and inexpensive to feed.. I just took her off and will get her back on this winter if she looks like she is not holding on.. I love you

Just toss a pound of it on his grain when you feed him. I think you will see results.. Jamie is also getting a little stiff in her old age. I put her on MAX FLEX Glucosomine, that I buy from Valley vet for joints. Another good product you can feed with your MSM is pure yucca.. Works wonderful for those older stiff joints.. Make sure you keep him warm this winter with a blanket when it starts getting cold.. riding
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
RoperChick

RoperChick

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2007, 1:14 am

Thanks to both of you for the info, it's much appreciated and I'm going to give it a try. Good news is he has pretty good teeth for a 29 year old, but the vet still wants me to soak his pellets so he doesn't choke.

Bluejay, thanks for the blanketing suggestion, I was thinking I should do that, but since our winters are mild, I wasn't sure whether or not I was just being overprotective. I'll definitely go ahead and blanket him as soon as the evenings start getting chilly.

His spine is sticking up, is that normally an old age thing or is just because he's too thin?
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2007, 3:33 pm

sounds like a great program it takes time to put on weight they say fat take 4 weeks for a horse to start processing and getting maximum benefit that is what I would add if one of those products doesn't have a fat additive. I haven't added soy bean meal before isn't it a higher protein product? I use beet pulp and really like it, it is a higher fiber for another increased calorie source.
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2007, 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info Lynn, four weeks huh? Sounds like I'm being impatient about him gaining weight. How much beet pulp should I start with, and it has to be soaked, is that right?

The soybean meal is high protein, my vet likes it for the older horses because protein helps them put weight on, especially along their topline. There is a tradeoff though because the protein can be hard on their kidneys.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2007, 6:00 pm

I use the shreds with molasses and if you have ever tried it it tastes like cardboard so I like it with molasses Smile and mix a little of my grain with it until they develop a taste for it and I only have one mare that won't eat it doesn't matter what I mix it with and funny all of my colts love it and will eat it plain. But for him I would start with a big coffee can of it 3 times a day and yes I soak mine. They get a nice coat from it and you will know if he is getting too much protein if his stall is getting a really strong odor then time to cut back on either the alfalfa or soybean meal. Ive heard of a lot of people saying good things about the soybean meal but I would hate to sacrifice the kidneys in an old horse. Try adding a 35mm canister of film size of salt to his feed 1x a day to encourage him drinking extra water to flush his kidneys more. Just a thought. These are just some more thoughts I forgot to add to a pm I sent you.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2007, 10:03 pm

The back bone will stick up when they are thin. Another thing I look at is under the tail.. Those body parts will get sunken in when they are down. No

I have used the chopped stuff Lynn is talking about on babies.. Beat pulp is good for maintaining the weight. Corn oil adds weight too.. You could go crazy with all that stuff.. I like the soy meal. It is high in protien and will add back some muscle tone. I have used that many times on horses that are down and have lost that.. I still swear by the cadence though.. cheering

I would also do worming every two weeks for three cycles.. This way you have eliminated all causes.. Should get us some before and after shots.. Always good to know how to take care of those older and hard keepers.. riding
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2007, 10:09 pm

you know one of the oldest horses to compete at the world show one year we were there was 34 yrs old these guys when well taken care of can go on and on I think it was a team penner too
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2007, 4:27 pm

Soaked Beet Pulp. easy to chew and digest.
Back to top Go down
RoperChick

RoperChick

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2007, 2:02 am

Thanks for all the info, it's really helpfull . Very Happy I took pictures of him the day I brought him home, so that I could see if there was improvement. I'll take a picture in a week or two and compare them.

I was looking at him turned out in the arena last night and I think he is looking better, he's definitely feeling better, he was showing interest in the cattle last night, so I turned a couple of the roping steers out with him. He chased them and bucked, I think that's a good sign. He didn't show any interest in the cattle when he came home, which was unusual for him.
Back to top Go down
denibun

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2007, 1:08 pm

Beth,

I give Nick Empower. It's nutrena's fat supplement. It does wonders for him. He eats senior and I add a cup of empower twice daily. It keeps his weight on and keeps his coat really s hiny too.

denise
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 9:57 pm

cheering I have an old post on here about my weanling colt who the vet thinks has PSSM. He gets a 1lb of empowered twice a day and is coming back very nicely. I will get some shots of him soon and re post. riding

That is a GREAT feed and is 22% fat. My colt needs high fat low carb dietl. study The Empowered is 22% fat.. Great stuff.. $$$$$$$ though. We pay almost 30.00 a bag for it.. Works great. I am glad you found it. I still like the cadence for my older mare. Only about 10.00 a bag... If you found something that works stay with it.. icecream
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?   Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting weight on a geriatric horse - any advice?
Page 1 of 1