Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Foaling Kits Whats in yours?

Go down 
+3
Bluejay
7cedars
Triple J Quarter Horses
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Empty
PostSubject: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 2:11 pm

Talked to a elderly lady this week she bred her spotted saddle mare to a mule hoping for a Spotted gaited Mule, Told I like to see it when its born, I think it would be cute.

Anyway, she said she had her quilting thread, and tetnus shot ready.

She is legally blind. 74 still rides, and I mean rides, We have to tell her get back if he knocks you down you'll break your hip, Well she's got to get that horse loaded, theres 7 of us standing there, no, that ones to spooky, well she doesn't care, She would climp up on anything with 4 legs and hair. Everytime I think of her I smile. Wink
And is just a super lady. I really have alot of respect her.

This is her foaling kit, far differant from mine,

Question So what is in your kit or do you use one? What do you do to get ready for the big moment Question
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 9:03 pm

You mean you have to have a kit? HA!

Oh, I've got iodine and an enema deal down there... if it gets too hairy, the vet's only about 10 minutes from me, so he's here in a shake. Course lots of empty feed sacks to put the afterbirth in, which grosses the boys out to no end. If I need towels, I bring them down when I go... or usually this, RUN UP TO THE BARN AND GET ME A LOT OF TOWELS... HURRY UP! RUN, DON'T WALK!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:12 pm

HA HA HA. I used to have a kit.. Portable phone, Iodine, towels and a list with phone numbers, and step by step what to do in case. Then the imprinting step by step. The first foal born here (appy) I imprinted she hated my guts and would not let me touch her after that.. I do not do that anymore.. I let momma and baby bound now..

Now I have everthing I need in the barn. No more lists, phone is protable and on the wall. Oh yes, exam gloves and garbage bags.. LOL.. The vet is too far away to get here in time to help so I had to memorize..

I do have my manure cart right there so I can clean the stall up and have nice dry place for baby. And most important, my little Big D hanging on the stall door.. I do not give enemas if foal is pooping on there own.. I have friends who do no matter what.. I don't do it.. Vacination schedule for foals has changed so I do not do shots or get the vet out to check them out anymore..

I have been using a product called Foal Response and give a tube of that right away. It is colostrum and the foals do not get the poops when they start eating.. That is it on our ranch.. I would like to have some o2 here just in case.. I am an EMT and o2 can make really help if you get in trouble..
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:25 pm

In my foaling kit, I have Betadine, and wonder dust, towels, enemas, foal blanket, scissors... thats all i can think of off of the top of my head.

But I always make sure I have some soft dish soap and some warm water to wash the mares ninnies and her vulva before and after foaling.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 10:53 pm

Chlorhexidine (better than betadine for disinfecting not as harsh we don't use betadine much in hospitals anymore and it last 12 hrs.. with anti infective properties), towels, and baby blanket ... enema only if they dont poop I don't give it too all of them routinely either I also have my regular first aid kit within reach for all essentials...
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2007, 11:48 pm

5 Gallon bucket with lid
Scissors
Dental Floss braided soaked in anti infective
Hand wash with anti infective properties
Portable phone,
Iodine,
Warm! Enema
Towels
Clean Baby blanket
Exam gloves
Plastic bag for afterbirth
Drugs, For me and the horse Laughing
Foal Aid
Most important Camera!
I think that's it. I have to get my kit out and get it ready, I think were going early again.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2007, 8:38 am

I'm with you, Bluejay... I have the enema, but I've never had to give them. But like you, I also have a friend, that I mean, just as soon as they hit the ground, she's shooting them up with that mess... I just don't do that. I sit and wait, kind of let everything happen on its own. If I see a problem, then I do something.

I know how long it's supposed to take for mares to foal, for baby to stand up, for baby to poop, for baby to nurse, etc., etc.

And, oh, Merikle, just my opinion, but I wouldn't wash the teats of the mare BEFORE they suck... they have antibodies on their teats that the foals will need.

Yep, always a wheelbarrow close by... GAWD, they can make a mess... plenty of extra shaving bags to drop after mess is cleaned up and everybody's up and doing fine.

I don't give shots, I don't imprint - quit doing that a long time ago. I try best not to mess with Mother Nature. Bad enough we're having foals earlier than Mother Nature intended anyhoos, and we have them up in a stall, etc., etc.

Maiden mares are really the only ones that bother me. I'll watch them a heck of a lot closer than I will the ones who have foaled before.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2007, 9:57 pm

ITs down right cold, The foaling kit came in handy. Now I get to do this again in about 3 weeks. New supplies, clean towels and ready to go.
Crossing my fingers for gold again.sunny

Last edited by on February 27th 2007, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2007, 6:54 pm

Where can I get some Foal Response. I've looked locally, but no one has it.... cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2007, 4:39 pm

I have
old, but clean towels
iodine
scissors
boiled thick cotton thread (I never thought of using dental floss)
baby blanket
garbage bags
hand sanitizer
all in a clean pail with a tight lid

always have straw bales in the barn this time of year and the fork and barrow close by
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foaling Kits Whats in yours?   Foaling Kits Whats in yours? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foaling Kits Whats in yours?
Page 1 of 1