Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tail bag cautions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 5:13 pm

Just an FYI to some of you out there who bag tails. Check the tail for little cuts that can get infected and hide until it's almost too late!
Our horses had on their tail bags (this was 4 weeks ago) and I noticed the grey kept rubbing his against the fence trying to get it off. Well, what he did was cut his tail with rusty barbed wire I'm sure (I hate that man for having that stuff!). We have moved them all since. Anyways, I saw it, but washed his tail out and thought nothing of it. It was a LITTLE and I mean one of those little don't even give it a second look cuts. Well, Luckily I caught it in time while brushing his tail out, I noticed his tail bone was swollen and hot a few days later. We got him on some major antibiotics really fast, but the swelling had already cut the blood supply off to the very last 2 inches of his tailbone. Needless to say it died and had to be cut off. His whole tail is shaved off to expose his whole tailbone today. It is still swollen, but it looks promising that the healing process is slow going. He has a good blood flow in it now.
I just wanted to share because I know as meticulious as I am about checking for boo boo's, this one that I thought was nothing turned major really fast. Plus it was in a hidden place on his tailbone, underneath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 6:26 pm

oh my goodness, I'm glad he's atleast alright! I know those infections can be nasty, that's honestly why I don't use the socks anymore, I think they cause more harm than good, only time I put one on anymore is the day before a show to keep a braid in, any other time we just braid and spray on a sunblock / water mixture... Good luck with him, I'm really sorry Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 7:39 pm

oh ouch!! poor guy.... definately something I wouldn't have even thought of... we don't keep anything braided been pretty lucky most have tails on the ground even out in pasture.. the only one who doesn't do that is the stud and the trainer gets to deal with his tail...funny his tail grows best since he started on the daily wormer
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 10:15 pm

GOOD GRIEF WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT scratch At least you were paying attention thank goodness.. I do not use tail bags either. I have a bunch of them.. Just do not use them.. I am so happy you caught on and taking care.. We all know what an infection can do to hour babies.. And, I certainly would not be looking at the tail for trouble cherry ..

Thank you for sharing that.. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2007, 10:26 pm

Man, oh, man, I bet that sucker is in some serious pain. Good though that you caught it before it got real bad. I never use tail bags either... never have... don't know why, just don't. Course Cool has got a witch in her tail like you wouldn't believe, she'll danged near knock you out if you get swatted with that thing. Rick keeps yapping about it. I told him the one that yaps about it has to fix it. HA!
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2007, 10:30 am

I'm just glad I noticed it in time to save his tail. Sure the hair has to grow back, but at least it will eventually. We could have had to of changed his name to Bob! LOL.
Just be careful and watch out for sore, cuts, etc on the tail. The vet said if the tail swells and you don't catch it in time, you are alomst assured to lose the whole tail. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Sponsored content

Tail bag cautions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail bag cautions   Tail bag cautions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tail bag cautions
Page 1 of 1