Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Baby Coats

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 12:36 am

So the colt I just bought, he was born on April 3rd and he's got a really nice baby coat, but it's still a baby coat. How is the shedding going to work with a foal? I know the mare hasn't been wormed and I know the foal hasn't been wormed either so that is the first step, but, will the colt shed the baby coat before fall? He will go on lights soon too, just wondering how all of this should affect him. Any help is appreciated. mbs
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 7:48 am

Oh, yeah, he'll shed it before Fall. Mine have already started around their eyes and muzzles. And I think Cool's filly is going to shed off liver chestnut! SWEET!
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 10:08 am

His muzzle looks like it is loosing hair... so yay, I can take a nice deep breath now lol. The problem I've always run into is having really late foals (May or later) but this colt is actually an early late foal, so it's all new. You dang bratt! Your horses just spoil the heck out of you don't they? I've always wanted a liver chestnut halter mare with four high white socks and a big bald face, but heck, I'd settle for a liver chestnut with no markingstoo lol.... It's ok though Rolling Eyes I still love ya lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2007, 12:15 pm

Mine all come out with nice smooth coats.. Then they get this teddy bear fuzz on them.. Once they are weaned and wormed we groom groom groom.. They are under lights and fed up for weanling halter.. People I know that can leave their's out side shed off pretty good before all that starts.. Mine are shedding around the eyes and bubble butts.. And, a little on the legs... They sure have fuzzy backs though... kitty
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 5:33 pm

my older boys are shedding out around eyes, muzzles, and other places a bit. Remember, I live in Canada, and the weather just started getting nicer.
Anybody else find that duns seem to have a rougher coat than, say, sorrels? That has been what it seems like around here anyway.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2007, 10:41 pm

Reiningfan, I've found that duns and buckskins are buggers... ought to have paints all over the place, where there's a cloud of white hair flying everywhere... GAWD! When that stuff cuts loose, I bet the birds within 30 miles have enough bedding... HA!

Mine are around the eyes, the butt, part of the legs, they've been wormed, fixing to hit them again in about a week with wormer... that colt is a monster looking thingy. Now he looks like he's going to be the color of Kid... I ain't guessing no more when they're born, I'm just going to wait till they shed off.

And tehe, Silverbuckles, tehe, tehe! Aww... it's sweet! Now, watch her turn out lighter than she's looking like... but I'll never tell!!!! Cool Very Happy Just messing witcha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baby Coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Coats   Baby Coats Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby Coats
Page 1 of 1