Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Question and An Answer..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

A Question and An Answer.. Empty
PostSubject: A Question and An Answer..   A Question and An Answer.. Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2007, 9:21 pm

Ok, question first..

I have always noticed Cisco is in "charge" of the pasture, even with 2 horses. It's not like they fight but if Cisco wants something he just looks at Austin and he would leave. Last weekend I noticed Austin pushing Cisco around and i was like Shocked ok! haha, but still Cisco gets really anxious if Austin is gone. Then TODAY I went out a little over an hour ago to take Cisco out to the barn and go ride. I got to him and was at his side and he swung around and pinned his ears tried to bite, and I smacked him one. He ran to the other end of the pasture, Austin at his heels. When I walked half way across they started going at it...for a HALF hour they fought like little mustangs, rearing at each other, kicking, trying to bite, running around, Cisco actualy got kicked in the neck and he also ran and fell and slid on his side in the mud. After I got sick of it and Cisco calmed down a bit I said "come on bud" and he would run up to me so I could catch him. I slowly made my way to him and I would scratch his face, lift the halter and he would take off. I did this 2 times. The time after I got the nose part on his head and he took of. By the 5th time I got the halter on and we went riding, I lunged him for a LONG time and then rode a few min and let him back out.

Do you guys have any idea why they would fight like this? I didn't know if i should let em go at it or I should try to stop them. At one point I was in between to horses snorting at each other both 10 feet away, me in the middle, that was kind of scary. Are they just trying to figure out who is boss or what?

Now for the Answer...

I know before I brought up selling Cisco this summer because we are moving to AZ. Well I think I'm keeping him now. I'm going to work for my dad this summer so i can save up enough money to last me the winter and spring. Then I'll work throughout the winter for gas money. Also my mom is going to AZ in a little over a week for a job interview, she practically has the job but they want to "meet her" and tell her how much they'll pay her. If it's right we're moving this summer. I just got done talking to my dad and I asked if we would have to sell the horses. He said no its better to bring them with. I was like, well who's going to pay for someone to bring them down there? He's like we have a trailer right there! I was like YA RIGHT, (his pickup is really small and can't haul horses across the U.S.) I told him that and he said he would buy a new truck so we could haul them. Shocked So I guess my answer is that I'm keeping Cisco as long as nothing else comes up and ya, I'll let you guys know about the moving situation on the 11th! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A Question and An Answer..   A Question and An Answer.. Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2007, 7:26 am

I can't read enough between the lines to help you on what's going on between the horses. Were teeth showing? Ears penned? The reason I'm asking is if they were just playing or getting serious. One thing I wouldn't tolerate, though is, is him running off once you've got a hold of him - unless the other horse is coming at him... that's a big no/no, and you're going to get yourself hurt. For your safety, don't ever get between two horses when they're doing that! A sure quick way to get hurt, is when you're out in a field with more than one horse, and they get to throwing their weight around.

If it were me next time, I think I'd take me a lounge whip out there with me and if everybody starts any stupid funny business, I'd reach out and touch somebody.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: A Question and An Answer..   A Question and An Answer.. Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 12:34 pm

I agree with Sheila. Once I get up to a horse, I expect the sucker to stay there, with no running away or pulling. I also expect my horses to behave if I am leading a horse through theem to the barn. The pinto that is here never learned that. She knows it now.
And never get in between them if they are going at one another. Spring seems to make them more likely to rough house, but you don't want to get hurt. As long as they are not injuring each other, I'd let them be.
Back to top Go down
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: A Question and An Answer..   A Question and An Answer.. Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2007, 6:38 pm

Yeah, IMO they looked liek they were fighting, like baring teeth, ears pinned, everything.

If he ever runs from me and get my lead rope going and he runs, if he tries to go i make him go, i smack i'm and keep him going until he stops, then i make him go some more. If i stick my arm out i can get him free lunging in the pasture but yeh, it was definatly scary inbetween those two!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question and An Answer..   A Question and An Answer.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question and An Answer..
Page 1 of 1