Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...

Go down 
+3
Cindy
7cedars
Merikle Waters
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Empty
PostSubject: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 3:24 pm

Washington, D.C. (March 28, 2007) - In a 51-page opinion issued just hours ago, United States District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly held that the slaughter of horses in America violates federal law. In her opinion, issued in response to a lawsuit filed in February 2006 by the Society for Animal Protective Legislation (SAPL) and other humane organizations and individuals, Judge Kollar-Kotelly ruled that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) violated the National Environmental Policy Act by failing to conduct an environmental impact review of its decision to allow the continuation of horse slaughter.

“Tonight, after years of legislation and litigation, America’s three horse slaughterhouses can no longer kill horses for human consumption,” states Chris Heyde, deputy legislative director for the Society for Animal Protective Legislation. “We call on Illinois-based Cavel International to work with the humane and rescue communities to find permanent safe homes for the hundreds of horses who were slated for slaughter, to give them a second chance at life

The rule that was vacated by the court, was promulgated by the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service to create a fee-for-service inspection process for horses slaughtered for human consumption. The rule circumvented a Congressionally approved amendment to the FY 2006 Agricultural Appropriations Act that cut federal funding for the required inspections. Because of continuing resolutions approved by Congress to fund the government, today's ruling is effective immediately.

There are three horse slaughterhouses in America, one in Illinois and two in Texas. Though the Texas plants were recently forced to stop slaughtering horses for human consumption when an appellate court upheld a Texas law making it illegal to sell, possess and transport horsemeat for sale for human consumption, the Illinois plant has been killing approximately 1,000 horses per week

“The American public has overwhelmingly opposed the slaughter of America’s horses for human consumption and now the courts have declared horse slaughter to be illegal,” adds Heyde. “While horses will no longer be butchered in the U.S. they can be hauled under appalling conditions to a similarly brutal death in plants across the U.S. border. Congress must pass federal legislation to extend the protections to all horses and to send a clear message to those few who profit from this barbaric trade

more info
http://www.saplonline.org/Legislatio...iolatedlaw.htm
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 5:45 pm

Well, can everybody say the bottom has fell out, period, that's it, it's gone.

I may be getting into cows or something... no way am I going to buy anymore mares at this point! Huh-uh, no way!

I sure hope everybody really thinks about breeding this year - way too many unwanted at this point anyway.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 10:18 pm

WOW! They actually are going through with this! God help the Humane
Society, SPCA and horse rescues because they are going to be over-run
with horses!

Someone, somewhere will be putting horses down it just won't be for
consumption. It's gonna end up like the pound. After so many days
they'll end up putting it down because they are over-run and need more
room!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 10:41 pm

Dang....I hope my babies can run fast and look as good as they are supposed to...

Ugh...I can only imagine...the neglect that is already out there, now you're taking away every option!!!

I had to put a mare down last fall (she coliced) and it cost $500...if people can't even feed their horses there is no way they will cough that up to mercifully end a horse's life! It scares me to think of the monstrosities people will commit
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 10:48 pm

Cindy wrote:
Someone, somewhere will be putting horses down it just won't be for consumption. It's gonna end up like the pound. After so many days they'll end up putting it down because they are over-run and need more room!

Its really sad, but I could see that happening... Sad

I truly hope that these people who pushed the bill through are now planning to make room for the excess horses in their own home...

A lot of the people pushing this, aren't in the middle of the horse industry like many of us are, they maybe own one or two horses, and dont think of us who own horses as a business. All they see is how unfair it is.... Well I can tell you, i would rather see a horse be slaughtered, than sit and rot in a field, neglected, starving or injured.

This doesn't effect me and our horse market up here, other than our slaughter houses will be that much fuller.... I am sure people will find a way to get horses here to canada to be slaughtered... possibly flooding our market again just as it is recovering...

I truly hate this... I dont think it was thought through really, while some bigger breeders may still stay in the business, the more smaller farms producing high quality foals will most likely not have enough to make ends meet and have to stop breeding. And then I think that basically you will only have two options, the crappy horses, or the extremely high quality horses... leaving the more middle of the road people kind of stuck, either they have to spend $10,000 on a horse, or $500 for a hunk of junk.

I dont think this will stop the breeders who breed to breed, but I do think it will hurt us all in the end.

My heart goes out to all those horses who will suffer because of this pass of legislation...Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2007, 11:44 pm

the sad part is you won't have to spend $500.00 for a bad "hunk of junk" you will be able to go to a sale and what used to bring $3,000.00 will be bringing $500.00 or less the hunk of junk will be starving in the wild because someone will have turned them free or they will be a neglect case and the spca wil be putting them down.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 12:06 am

Stupid Stupid They sit in their little offices and are clueless! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 1:52 am

I bet there are horses that just get dropped off at auction barns and the owners never even come back by...

Scares me to think of the horses that will just be stranded places!

The ONLY thing that makes me feel a LITTLE better is that Mexico is only a few hours away and if any of my horses have just a tiny bit of run I can sell them as match horses or barrel horses...but HECK...what if I end up with a crooked legged, scrawny, DUMB horse that can't put his feet down in a straight line (and we all know this can happen on ANY cross even if it didn't happen the first time or the next time...some babies just don't cut it)...

Dang...Dang...Dang...

What ever happened to REGULATION?!?! I think we just poked our eye out to spite our face...

HOWEVER - I now petition that as responsible horse owners we join together and create a new, nationwide LAWN SERVICE - mow and fertilize as you go in an environmentally friendly manner lol! we appologize in advance if your yard gets stuck with the super skinny horse...or the one that kicks-bites-paws-strikes-cribs-wood chews and then plays dead Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2007, 8:26 am

I'm wondering, if it's a U.S. District Judge that did this, if USDA or whoever is going to take it to the Supreme Court.

Merikle, let us know if somebody files an appeal in this case. I think first it has to go to the U.S. Appellate Court, and then the Supreme Court... this could go on and on for a long time.
Back to top Go down
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2007, 5:21 pm

you sure are on tp of things Merikle!

I hate the idea of horses being slaughtered but I know that there are going to be sick, neglected, and downright dangerous horses all over the country

if they outlawed it for human consumption only I woulld be ok but totally -- that's nuts!

politicians -- think any of them own a horse or have an once of an idea of what it takes to own a horse?

I bet Save-The-Horses from the old board is just jumping up and down right now and that makes me sick -- shes probably never owned a horse!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...   Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Court Declares Horse Slaughter To Be Illegal...
Page 1 of 1