Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4-H started up again

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

4-H started up again Empty
PostSubject: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2008, 12:21 pm

Brennen is doing two clubs this year. One in our town and the other is his previous club that he was in before I started the local one. It's in a different province, but only about 20 mile drive to the arena.
They have different project books and their rules are different. They don't require helmets and kids are allowed to have knots in their reins and use roping reins. Our club doesn't allow roping reins except for during trail ride and barrel or pole lessons. And if you don't have a helmet on, you don't get on a horse. No exceptions.
Taegan & Sean will just do the local club. Sean is only 5 and although Taegan is 8 and rides fairly well for her age, she just isn't gung-ho like Brennen is.
Brennen started off last night with a lesson. We already had a meeting with our local club. It will keep us very busy, but not only will they be doing something they enjoy, it will help keep them out of trouble.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2008, 4:15 pm

boy I agree kids in groups w/o helmets is an accident waiting to happen
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2008, 5:59 pm

It was a big group and Brennen was one of only 2 kids wearing helmets. There was a girl on a tall 2 year old that acted up and she wasn't wearing one. The horse reared a bit and did some hopping around.
One kid had a knot tying the end of her split reins together. I didn't find that very safe either. I asked about the rules for helmet use there and they told me that they are required only for speed events. Well, my kid will wear one regardless. Maybe help set an example. Helmets are so much lighter than they were when I was that age. And you can get wild colored cover for them. Brennen has a cover with flames.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 9:13 pm

HUM Shocked Who is in charge and not teaching good safety with the horse.. Maybe MaMa needs to step up and make a suggestion Question Or, drop the one that does not feel this is important.. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 10:37 pm

man and why are 4Hers being allowed to ride 2yr olds at events? That makes no sense to me young kids and young horses that is a bad mix....
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 5:55 am

I think all kids should wear a hard hat regardlesss of show or otherwise. Accidents happen even to the most super trained horse.

Also ive noticed a lot of people over there dont wear hard hats when out on the trails,oh boy thats so dangerous,all it takes is something to spook the horse and thats it your done for.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 5:46 pm

I agree that kids should not for the most part be allowed to ride 2 year olds in the regular lessons, although Brennen did ride Seth in one when Sandy got hurt. But we do have young horse groups where they start with a weanling & continue till they're 2 or 3, depending on the club. Some of those horses turn out quite well, but others, well, don't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4-H started up again   4-H started up again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4-H started up again
Page 1 of 1