Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeding Halter Babies

Go down 
+3
Bluejay
7cedars
Merikle Waters
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2007, 10:42 am

The book you're looking for is Denny Hassett's, Winning at Halter.

I'll tell you what I fed Scamp when I had him up last year and was getting him ready to show and showing, as a weanling. Remember his first show, he was only 6 months old.

One scoop of 14% protein with 6% fat, and one scoop of crimped or steam rolled oats, with a half a scoop of loose minerals. That's in the morning. If I'm working them, I also feed them at noon, which would be half a scoop of each pellet and oats. At night, same as in the morning, but no minerals, of course. They get as much alfalfa as they'll eat.

Now, remember my horses that I'm getting ready for halter are UP! Except for when I work them, and I work the beegeebies out of mine out on the golfcart in the pasture - more so than probably a lot of people. I wait until they "pop" and then I go just a bit further, but work up to it, and I bring them back down slowly. On Sundays, they're out all day, unless it's lightening.

You've got to remember on the fat it'll go straight to their neck - never fails. So sometimes I'll feed the same feed, but with a 4% fat for pellets, instead of using the 6%.... if I see a horse that needs another "layer" on 'em, I'll start putting corn oil in their feed, but then I've got to sweat the dickens out of their neck. And that's it, I don't add anything else, period. But that's just me.

The rest of 'em that are out... right now I'm feeding the geldings a 1/2 scoop of the pellets in the morning, at night, they get 1 1/2 scoop. They also have a round bale out there - my first expeirence with that - and it danged sure ain't alfalfa!

Trent's filly and the 2 coming yearlings are getting 1/2 a scoop of oats and pellets and minerals, and at night, are getting 1 scoop of each, and they have a round bale.

On Jazz, Ms. Fattie no matter whatie, gets 1 full scoop of oats and a half scoop of pellets twice daily, which she looks absolutely great, except for that haircoat - but it's not time yet, and gets 2 flakes of coastal and one flake of alfalfa at night.

Scamp gets 1 scoop of each twice daily, same on the hay at night, and a flake of alfalfa in his turn-out pen... Jazz and him both go back out during the day, all day.

Kid, on the other hand, because he's a hard keeper, gets 1 1/2 scoops of pellets and 1 scoop of oats twice daily (in other words, the whole bucket), and 2 flakes of coastal and one flake of alfalfa twice a day, but he's out now, so remember that. Plus, I'm fixing to put him up for sale, so I need him looking good.

When I get ready to start working Scamp and Jazz, Scamp's will be up'd another half a scoop each at noon; Jazz, well, she might get a half scoop of oats at noon... fat heifer.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 5:18 pm

I do weigh out the grains on a scale so I know exactly what they are getting. All the other stuff has a measuring scoop that is exact to what I want to give them. study

You can ask 100 people and that includes reading all the books and asking all the experts and get a different answer from all of them. Just like you are getting here. lol! I took all the information I got from all that and my friends who do what I do and put my program together. It really is trail and error. All horses are not the same and may need different programs to get them where you want them to be.. Much of what I was told by some of my friends I do not do. Simply because it did not work for the long term. cake

My stud can live on air, Chad gets a diet full of FAT just to maintain him, the coming yearling flilly gets a little less then the mares do and all my mares eat the same except one gets orchard grass and no alfalfa. The two mares that should be foaling in a month get 2lb's a day of another grain mix for extra nutrients. ily

You can take all this info, get what you can afford and is available in your area, measure it out so you know exactly what you are feeding them and then make adjustments as needed.. coffee But, before you do that get out and see what it is you are wanting them to look like and go from there.. Also, need to consider long term and not just for right now. You may find some are not going to go the direction you planned for them and decide if they are going to work for you and sell them if not. Can't keep them all so might as well keep the ones that fit your program what ever that might be. cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2007, 8:34 pm

thanks 7Cedars and BlueJay.

Since I am not breeding strictly halter horses, and more all around (can halter as youngings and win, and then go on to performance events), right now what I see in these two babies is what I want. They get more neck from their momma's, which is perfect.

The colt can move like crazy, western pleasure is his intended future (If I own him that long), but for right now in my present plan for him, he is destined for the halter rings, hitting every APHA approved show in Alberta except one (which is in may and in Saskatchewan... Want to haul him to some locals and get him used to things first). But I have a show schedule for him and the filly. The filly is easier as she isnt as goofy and is not APHA. She will go to both CPHA shows with the colt (as the colt is APHA/CPHA), and every open show I can get her in. She also moves very nice, so I will start her in english pleasure and other things that she shows promise in (will most likely try everything).

As lovely as she is, I would part for her for a price, and dont think her and the colt will be on my property for too long with the promise they both have.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2008, 10:21 am

I think what you have to understand, Merikle, is you asked for "feeding halter babies". Another thing you have to understand is, neither TripleJ, Bluejay, nor I breed or have strictly halter horses. We know that every "halter" horse we have is a rider - every one of them, some of ours doesn't even have halter bloodlines, but will wipe up in the halter class.

What you also have to understand is, halter is based on conformation. If a horse has the correct conformation, they can do almost anything, maybe not cutting, but everything else. Thus, why halter is called the breed standard for conformation. In other words, the beginning. And I'm talking strictly here of what us three do with ours, not what's at the other end of the spectrum, in any discipline.

It doesn't matter whether you're feeding for halter, WP, cutting, etc., it's called a good feeding program, no matter what, to maximize the potential of each individual horse.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2008, 9:42 pm

7C is right about that. A good feeding program and training are what will make the horse go the direction you want it too if it can. I like the halter that can also ride. A horse that can do nothing else is not a good investment. Many end up getting tossed out, lame and become pasture ornaments if they are lucky enough to get a humane who cares about them. You do not want yours to end up that way.. No
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2008, 2:02 am

Nothing wrong with pasture pets as I have three and one day I will get around to training the mares to ride! lol! The two mares that I have can both halter and ride, yet they have two completely different body styles. I have noticed a horse that can be used for all around is in demand more than one bred for a specific event. It is up to you to decide what exactly you want to breed for. Dancing
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2008, 8:22 pm

True, there is nothing wrong with pasture pets.. But, when you see one that is so crippled and broken down it can hardly walk because some humane wanted to win at what ever cost there is some thing wrong with that.. Certanily not the horses fault.. No
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2008, 10:36 pm

So I had the vet check out my babies when she was here to check out merikle's hives. Since it is hard to get the information (I got some... but is hard to understand simply through writing, if you know what i mean?) I need to know what to look out for, I asked her to examine my feeding program, and my babies.

She looked at their legs, and stated, if they are getting "too much", they will almost always swell just above the knees, and or sometimes above the fetlocks... she stated my foals looked good, that Lexus (pally overo filly) is in almost perfect weight, but would maybe need a bit more for halter, and tristan needed just a bit more weight to be perfect. The smaller ones she went on and on about how they had grown and filled out, and that they looked awesome (she is aware the two smaller ones are not going to be halter horses).

When looking at my feeding program, she said many people feed these levels of protein (the 17%) to young horses out on pasture as supplement. She also said they are doing more research and it is seemily stating that protein may not be the problem in many cases of "overfeeding", that it is more so the quantity of grain, and excercise the horse is getting, as well as the weight (if it is too heavy for its age). Of course this is just her opinion.

But she said because my foals are out on pasture 24/7 right now, and very active, that reducing the protein To say only the 17% with rolled oats should be sufficient, and that its really a "watch their condition" situation.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, I hope to be very successful with my babies with the large amount of effort being put into them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2008, 3:12 pm

And now you have another opinion.. lol! I hope the vet did not mean to feed them a 17% grain scratch If you read the feediing instructions on a bag of grain you would kill the horse feeding it that much. Many think 16% is for babies.. That is way to high in protien levels and will pop them over in the joints.. Really is about balance in protien, calcium and phosphorous (spelling?). Too much of one of those and not enough of the others will cause problems.. coffee

I just took my yearlings off the alfalfa I was feeding. It is WAY to HOT for them. Like straight buds and no stem. I have them on the orchard/timothy mix now.. This is a prime example of watching them and making changes when it's needed.. riding
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2008, 8:20 pm

Not wanting to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by popping over at the joints?
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2008, 2:18 am

reiningfan wrote:
Not wanting to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by popping over at the joints?

lol, i'm wondering the same question?

Like wobbly knees? I had a friend who had a very young colt that was way to big for his dam, and at a couple days old would sometimes teeter on his knees because he was over at the knee...(No longer is with corrective trimming) is that what you're referring to bluejay?

And I have changed my feeding program, the 16% was eliminated, and they all have been upped to oats in the AM, Oats and some of the 17% mixed in it. But... hmm good question, will have to think on that... But she did say in moderation 17% is a fine protein level... In her opinion I guess.

I dont really have an opinion on this... other than extremely good quality hay, and good feeds... thats all I have an opinon on. LOL shock? LOL
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2008, 2:59 am

Over at the knees is a good example I believe, swollen joints ephisititis (sp) all can lead to chronic problems at any age. I hate to wait until there are problems to correct something because then there is damage done. Once you have swelling you have damage. Once something is "popping" damage has been done maybe not to the extent it will cause lifelong problems but you never know. I personally wouldn't feed a colt 16% either too much protein esp with alfalfa hay. You have to remember there are vets out there that still think corn is a good feed too "keep them warm and keep their teeth worn down" and honestly all you are asking for is problems since horses can't digest corn well at all. So to each his own. If you think your program is working time will tell Smile and I dont mean that in a bad way. I liked the article that said a horse needs 1 lb of alfalfa a day for their stomach each of mine not on pasture gets 1 small coffee can a day of alfalfa pellets just for that reason since alfalfa hay can be deadly in this region of the country. Every day there is new studies and new research coming out and trust me most of these vets have way too much other stuff to stay up on they typically are not up to date on the latest nutrition way to time consuming for them.
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2008, 9:27 am

Merikle, you mentioned a colt being a couple of days old "tetering"... that's normal - no biggy there. Takes some of those big babies a bit to get them straightened up. You'll also have that sometimes with these babies on mares who are real heavy milkers.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2008, 6:30 pm

Good quality feed and the right amout for the individual horse is the key. You do have to consider how the forage grows in your area as well. One of the problems with the protien levels in the hay is it can be different from one bale to another. And, you would have to send it out to be tested if you wanted and average on the ton. Then you can still never be sure. This is where paying close attention comes in.. study

As far as popping over. You can see it in the knees and fet locks.. Looks the same and you will know if you see it. Just does not look right. This is caused by bone and tendon not growing at the same rate.. You may have a horse that grows bone really fast then the tendon catches up (if you are lucky). Or the tendon never catches up and you have perminant damage (contracted tendons). This is not always caused by the feed. I have seen it happen with horses on pasture and a simple grain program that is not over feeding. In those cases that is just how the horse was put together and nothing could be done about it. Oh, you can have tendons cut for a small fortune. That does not work. No

The vets are not up on nutrition. Much of what they know is what they read. Many vets have never even owned a horse let alone had to feed one thst is growing. They all have an opinion of how a horse should look and what is good weight on a horse. Some people read too much on the subject and every story is different. The information you get from these sourses is a good place to start if you know nothing. Just remember your vet may be a TB lover and think everything should be built and look like that.. A nice healthy TB that is in track shape can be very pretty. Just does not look good on a stock type horse race
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2008, 8:06 pm

Thats where I'm lucky. My vet not only has horses, but he deals with ALOT of them in his practise. He used to do all the barn inspections for local PMU farms. Maybe still does, we just don't have any very close anymore so I'm out of the loop. Our vet shows and raises some. He is bigger into cow bred types. Which I also happen to have. He stays up to date on research and has enough experience with all different types and breeds of horses that he can accuratly rate almost any horse he sees. I'm really thankful that we have a vet like him around. Most good equine vets are nearer large centers.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2008, 2:11 am

7cedars wrote:
Merikle, you mentioned a colt being a couple of days old "tetering"... that's normal - no biggy there. Takes some of those big babies a bit to get them straightened up. You'll also have that sometimes with these babies on mares who are real heavy milkers.

lol I know, especially with that one... with a little help from trimming and growth.

But i'm trying to use that visual with the larger ones.... would that also be something to watch for? I know my babies dont "teeter" on their knees or fetlocks...

But I've cut down the protein alot, I dont want to risk anything with my babies. If they weren't so fluffy and unclean I'd take pics of them for you guys... Maybe this weekend ill take some picks of their legs, as dirty as they may be.

My vet said something about watching for the same thing that you do on foals with high grain intake (higher proteins), as you would on a foal who's dam is a heavy milker... she said too rich of milk can do the same thing???

idk... lol, Im just going to buy a crap load of books, take what you guys have given me, watch the babies, and go from there.

But I truly appreciate everyone's opinions on this, gives me many ways and options to do this. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2008, 2:21 am

Bluejay wrote:
Good quality feed and the right amout for the individual horse is the key. You do have to consider how the forage grows in your area as well.

LOL I wish there was even a little forage growing here right now... but I understand what you mean... We get some good crops out here, and our own hay (that we bale personally and is fed to the mares + older geldings) is high quality grass hay... versus the stuff we buy for my babies and our sheep/goats which is high quality alfalfa hay. We dont get much of the coastal or bermuda grasses out here... mostly timothy, "grass hay" as they call it, alfalfa and some orchid grass... But when I've gone out to see some orchid grasses, they were icky, so went with alfalfa.

Quote :
Just remember your vet may be a TB lover and think everything should be built and look like that.. A nice healthy TB that is in track shape can be very pretty. Just does not look good on a stock type horse race

Funny thing is, I do believe this vet used to work on the track... I like the other vet who comes out because she breeds foundation QH's.... So a lot closer to my paints.

idk, i have one of my friends coming out, world champion rider, and has done a lot with halter horses... ill get her opinion too lol.

I still need to get a scale... the 17% feed says feed 1kg per 100kg's of weight, or 1.5kg per 100kg's of weight.... so to get pounds you multiply 100kgs by 2.2046 and you get 220.46..... So if you doubled that for say my colts weight... he'd be 440.92.... and feeding 1kg/100kgs... you'd be feeding approx 4.5 lbs of this 17% to him a day... and I really dont think he has been getting that much of it... especially now that they gets oats only in the am, and 2 blue scoops of the 17%mixed with the brood/foal kibble, and 2 scoops of oats...

god how I hate math Laughing but ill be buying a scale asap
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2008, 2:37 am

And to think my poor scale drove 10 hours just to end up at home again. lol. I'm still ticked that I didn't have time to stop. And turns out it was my mom that had a flight. To someplace warm is all my kids knew. Sean added that he knew it wasn't Disney World, but somewhere thats warm and the only place he knows that is warm when we have winter is DW. Thats kids for you. It must have been a last minute thing my sister set up, cause I didn't hear about it till then.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2008, 2:51 am

Very Happy , thats ok, I really appreciate the thought though, And really wish I had gotten to meet you, but things come up...

But I had those 2 group home kids whipped up and ready to be polite little individuals LOL, they were like... So where's our visitor we were to be on our best behaviour for? LOL I'm just glad it was something that came up, not anything bad. I think the kids were just really excited to finally get an individual introduction to the merikle waters horsies. Smile

If you were stranded here, I'd pick ya up! Laughing But I do hope to possibly come out and see you this summer... I think the college idea is yet again on hold... which is ok, I get to pay off more of my truck before I go on making more debts. And then With the moulah im making, maybe ill come buy a AQHA stud colt from ya Very Happy Maybe a vamp baby! haha, I'd so love that!

She is bred this year right? And to pep? or gun?
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2008, 7:06 pm

She wasn't suposed to be bred at all for this year, but good old Gun crawled right through the gate, which is why I'm replacing fence. It's really too bad Sandy is not in foal, cause she throws gorgeous babies. So does Freckles. She'll be having a Gun baby this year. I got pics of the other two being born. She's one of those mares who waits for me to get there to have her foals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Halter Babies   Feeding Halter Babies - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding Halter Babies
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2