Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting over riding fear

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Getting over riding fear Empty
PostSubject: Getting over riding fear   Getting over riding fear Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2007, 3:08 pm

Not this past Sunday, but the week before, Brennen got bucked off of Sandy at a 4-H clinic. We knew she was getting pissy, but was doing fine otherwise. He was trying to get her to lope a circle, when she started bucking. She was barely trotting when she started, but he had given her more rein than he's used to and couldn't get her head up. I got on her right after and worked her. Man, was she in a bad mood. Even got aa little light in the front end. I didn't lope her, but did alot of basics and rode till she relaxed a little. I rode her all last week, cause his behind was still pretty sore. But he got back on last Sunday at lessons, after seeing me warm her up. She was much more relaxed.
Now, his problem is not getting on her, cause we rode again yesterday in our outdoor arena, and have time booked at our neighbor's indoor tonight, but he can't go faster than a trot. Even the thought tenses him up. So I let him set a goal. Since he has to do barrels with her on Achievement Day, he has set a goal of getting her to trot the pattern and bend properly by the end of the week. He can get her to trot around the arena without trying to walk, but she ain't no speed event horse. I think it's a good start. I was afraid that he'd go back to one of our other horses, but he wants to stick with her. He'd like to do WP and HMS next summer, and our others aren't gonna be competitive.
Any suggestions to help get him over his fear?
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Getting over riding fear   Getting over riding fear Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2007, 3:13 pm

Games,
Simon says Trot,
Walk a circle
Back 3 steps
Walk forward 6 steps, turn righ 6 steps.
Do control excerises. Of corse dont say simon says, and catch him, He will be thinking about the game and forget that he is in cotrol, when ready, have him lope from post to a marker, and stop. Simons says stop.

This has worked for me before, Also place items on the posts and have him pick them up and bring them to you, At a walk, trot and canter when he is ready.

Games, They love them...
Back to top Go down
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Getting over riding fear   Getting over riding fear Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 8:23 pm

I think he'll remember why he loves riding and he'll take that step and lope when hes ready.

you're doing awesome by not pushing him because that might cause him to stop altogether

and setting small goals is good too!

I think he'll be loping in no time!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting over riding fear   Getting over riding fear Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2007, 11:52 am

We've been riding every day after school and he asked me why I never told him about all the cool things Sandy could do. He means two tracking and side passing. We set up patterns with pylons and go through them differently each time. I don't know how well picking things up off a post would go, cause I tried to hand him his sweater one time and darn near had her sitting down. She was not impressed. She's well sacked out. We can pass drink cans on her, but we never know what will set her off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting over riding fear   Getting over riding fear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting over riding fear
Page 1 of 1