Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting over fear

Go down 
+2
standbytrucker
reiningfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2008, 3:41 pm

Some of you may know that a while back, I had a huge wreck with one of our geldings. I was out riding in the hay field when a bear came out of the bush. Tye bolted, I got him circled and mostly under control, when our dogs came running out to see what was going on. We bolted again, and he ended up running into the electric fence. His front legs went between the 2 strands, flipping him over and dumping me on the ground. I can still see his body and hooves flying over me and we rolled. I was lucky that I wasn't really hurt. He had a few scratches and cuts, but nothing major either.
My biggest problem was getting back on him. I start shaking and feel ill. Which doesn't help Tye any, as he's a pretty sensitive horse. If he was little, it would help, but at 16.1, he's big to me.
But, I started getting on in a tiny pen. He couldn't do more than walk tiny circles, but I was up there. Yesterday, I took him to the neighbors indoor arena. I lunged him first, then got the neighbor to hold onto him while I climbed on and lead him around for a few minutes. When he unsnapped the lead rope, I was kinda nervous, but it went well. I had forgotten how feely he is. Put your leg on, and over he goes. We were moving on the rail, then off again, a bit of sidepassing and some bends. I just walked him, I wasn't feling up to trotting him yet, but I feel so much better now. I had to get off when another girl came in with her 2 year old. The clucking made Tye want to go faster and the sound of her kicking at him upset him, so I made him stand still and I got off. But I'm going back there with a friend a few times a week till I feel like I can ride him outdoors in our arena. My friend keeps her mare at our place nd she lives in the same pen as Tye, so he's more comfortable with her there than when he's by himself.
I'm not gonna tell Wade that I'm riding Tye again, I plan on suprising him once I have been riding him more and have gained more of my confidence in Tye back.
Back to top Go down
standbytrucker

standbytrucker

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2007-02-22

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2008, 7:49 pm

well congrats! we all know how hard it is to get back on!!
just remember to breathe!!!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 2:15 am

Well, criminey sakes, if I'd seen a gosh-danged bear, I don't know who'd be running the fastest, me or the horse! HA! Talk about walking on water... criminey!

Me, I'd be looking for buggers big time if I saw a gosh-danged bear!!!!

Horse was smart - he got the heck out of dodge... you just needed to be with him when he did...

All kidding aside, though... yep, been there/done that, but not with a blasted bear (that's still freaking me out!!!!) Tell you something a friend of mine taught me - works like a charm.

Imagine yourself a sack of potatoes... as she says it, sack-a-taters... just sitting up there, having no emotions whatsoever, just up there. And Standby's right, you've got to learn to breathe!!!! When you feel yourself tensing up, your horse is going to feel that, feel there's a threat somewhere that they don't know about, and do eaxctly like you're doing - perfect example, friend's 2-year old comes in the arena... you tense up, they tense up, oh, crap, mom, there's another gosh-danged bear after us!!!!

The horses feel it even when you're on the ground --- mine can feel it through the gosh-danged lead... breathe, and breathe some more - but don't pass out or hyperventilate!!!! HA!

You'll be fine - just stay away from the gosh-darned bears! Lordy, that'd freak me out beyond belief!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 9:54 am

Can I come an visit and take pictures of the bear? Very Happy

Im with 7 Ceders on this one. You know it, just seems to hurt more getting dump then it did 20 years ago! No

Glad to see you back in the saddle again. so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Rowdy, Anne & Razzle

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-04-23

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 7:01 pm

You have to just keep getting back on there and relax! My horse bucked me off and I don't remember that incident at all. He bloodied and broke my nose but I still ride him bareback every week. He has definitely made me a better rider!

I totally agree with being a sack of potatoes. When I ride my gelding my legs have to be floppy-if I tense up or grip tighter he knows something is up. It is really hard to regain the confidence but it will come with time and more riding.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2008, 12:02 pm

I rode him again yesterday. Went better. We did have a bit of a spook when I went to ajust my reins and he didn't like the way they rubbed his shoulder. But I didn't panic and got him calmed back down. And myself haha. When I get off him, I always ride one of my others so that I have a quiet ride to end my day. I am starting 2 of my 2 year olds, plus I have Vamp and Trouble to keep up. And now and then I need to get on Sandy for Brennen to get her working sharper. I don't get nervous on any of them. But they are not 16.1 either.
Wade shot the bear, didn't actually kill it, but it hasn't been back. It used to come right through our place every now and then. It went through our pens once. The horses hit the panels. We put a 12' panel flat on the ground and the middle was up to Brennen's neck. The horses hit it that hard.
Back to top Go down
Merikle Waters

Merikle Waters

Number of posts : 690

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2008, 4:09 pm

Its really hard to build back up confidence.... But glad to see you are working at it! Very Happy

I had some issues a while ago after the second time in my life a horse reared up and flipped over... this last one landed on me. My neck has never been the same, My back is screwed, and she injured my right hip quite badly. I am lucky to be alive I think.... And im not sure if its better, or worse... but both of those horses weren't mine. The one was having a hissy fit and didn't do it intentionally, and thankfully I was bareback and flew back into some soft dirt. The second mare I was told just needed some tuning up, and was being ridden on a regular schedule. I got on, gathered my reins and in a second she was up and over... She was an evil/crazy horse, but her owner made her that way.... I was pinned to the ground, and landed on my side with the horses weight crushing down on my hip and leg, hitting my helmetless (I know.....) head on the ground which was within inches of their barbed wire fence. Someone/something had to be watching over me that day.

However the point is, anytime I felt a horse coming up under me after that, I felt my heart jump to my throat and all thoughts stop. Kind of like replaying the whole accident. Thats what it sounds like is happening to you.

I know you are a good enough rider to overcome this! Breathe and keep thinking happy thoughts. Put the bear and the accident as far as you can from your mind while you're riding him. It will really help both him and you.

Even after a year of my accident taking place, I was riding an idiot horse for my boss, and I surprised myself. I felt her thinking about rearing, and as she started to go up, I swung like a freakin monkey from the saddle landing at her side and grabbing the reins..... she didn't even realize I had dismounted in a hurry... Come to think of it, my brain hadn't even registered that I did yet either.

But honestly, if you're persistant, you will have no issues overcoming this. Slow your thoughts, quiet your hands, even if you have to go "lalalalala" in your head the entire time (trust me it does work... you still have to pay attention of course Wink ) it will soothe him. I would say not only did you lose your confidence in him, he lost his in you. Even some round penning excerices would most likely help in the scenario I think.

Good luck, and keep us updated! Very Happy Stay safe!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Getting over fear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting over fear   Getting over fear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting over fear
Page 1 of 1