Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Riding sucks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 5:09 pm

Ok got memory block today,my new mare who is well trained but ive yet to find all her buttons is being really patient with me bless.

When loping around more so on right rein i kept drifting into the inside,when i try to hold her with my right/ inside leg she just changes leads on me.I was getting in a right 2 and 8.was trying to keep her on the outside but kept drifting in.She bit lazy at mo aswell,got to fitten her up.She also wanted to quit on me.Now i know its not her its all me messing this up.
Our other horse we had i could put my inside leg on and push her over either her hip or shoulder.
But this has been trained different and she just wanted to change leads on me.I would almost go to say she been trained also to spur stop,somewhere in her past.She has been to several trainers throught her life and they all train different and she only 8.

HELP
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 8:49 pm

Is it only to the right that she drifts in? Brennen's mare Sandy was really stiff to the right. When going to the left, we were fine, but to the right she'd drift in and be harder to keep going.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 11:02 am

yep only to the right,its got to be me,but for the life of me can i think what i was doing different on the other rein.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 1:19 pm

Since it's only to the right, I'm going to say it's not your riding. She's stiff on the right and it will take some work to get her softer on that side. You need to do exercises on that side.
When I get Sandy to pick up her right lead, I lift my right rein, high up on her neck, move my left rein out and use my left leg to move the hip over. I had one heck of a time to get that lead, but now I can get her to pick it up. She will also drop into the arena on her right, but will stay on the rail to her left. Sandy's pretty lazy, so I wear spurs and let her know I can back up my leg cues if she doesn't listen.
It's not just riding that does this. Her old owners likely let her get away with doing everything to the left. Brennen didn't realize how bad Sandy was getting, so I'm going to work on her till we get her good.
Things like bending and sidepassing should help.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 1:57 pm

You may want to ask her with your left leg to keep her hip Ingaged, keep your L leg back alittle, keeping her right hip engaged, with her hip being moved over to the right, she will less likely to drift. should = a straighter line and more collection. In practice you can lift your right rein gently, with the upward motion of her shoulder to help her lift her right shoulder, keeping her with an upward forward motion, and not falling down, and drifting. Now I see this in my head, do you??? Hee hee scratch
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 3:35 pm

hehehe i kinda do.
will practice when weather stops raining for bit as grass is bit slippery at mo.

She used to be great at trail etc and i practiced sidepassing and cor she was stiff.Lots to work on.All she wanted to do was back up and not sidepass,again proberly pilot error.

Still gives me things to work on which is what i wanted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Riding sucks Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Riding sucks   My Riding sucks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Riding sucks
Page 1 of 1