Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kate Is Retired Officially

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Kate Is Retired Officially Empty
PostSubject: Kate Is Retired Officially   Kate Is Retired Officially Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2007, 10:12 pm

few months ago, I was about to officially retire Kate because I thought Pinto was running well. At the beginning of the summer, he still wasnt so I decided to race in a few more barrel races with Kate. Shes been getting better and all, but I just think shes getting way to old and skinny to keep up with the other horses. If she would put on weight, I probably would still race her, but its just too hard on her now. And her recent accident with barbed wire made me decide that im not going to bring her back into racing shape. Shes lost a lot of muscle and I believe shes showing early signs of arthritis. Shes turning 23 years old in a few months and has been barrel racing since I got her 2 years ago. I think its the right thing to do and at her age, its unfair because it isnt doing well on her joints. She will have the run of her own paddock and probably be ridden lightly and used for lessons, but thats about it. She will not be sold because at her age she wouldnt go anywhere good. At the last race we went to a month ago, she ran her personal best, an 18 second run, and I think its a good note to end on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Kate Is Retired Officially   Kate Is Retired Officially Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2007, 10:51 pm

That is a good note to end on. She will love some groomed trail riding and just taking life easy.. She is no were near done. Just feed her good and take care of her. You still have a lot of good years and memories with her. coffee
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Kate Is Retired Officially   Kate Is Retired Officially Icon_minitimeSeptember 28th 2007, 11:08 am

I know it can be hard to choose to retire your long time partner, but just think, you get to make new memories with a new horse, AND you get to have a nice seasoned horse to put put around on. I bet you will still have tons of fun on your mare just hauling her around to different trail rides. I started doing this stuff lately and it's a blast, we even swim our horses when it's warm and they love it too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197

PostSubject: Re: Kate Is Retired Officially   Kate Is Retired Officially Icon_minitimeSeptember 28th 2007, 3:44 pm

Yes I know, I am really excited and I think I might just start to retrain her as a trail horse. Shes doing well now, but I still need to calm her down a bit. Even just running her once or twice a week has made her extremely hyper to the point where Im afraid to put anyone inexpirienced on her. Eventually though I belive she'll calm down. Shes doing well now and Im glad Im going to get to spend more time with her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Kate Is Retired Officially   Kate Is Retired Officially Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2007, 2:38 pm

I give my older horses MSM and pure yucca with their night grain to get rid of the stiffness and it works GREAT.. The MSM keeps the joints fluid and the Yucca is a natural anti inflamitory. I learned about this from a gal who had an older horse with arthritis.. She tried all the expensive remedies and this was the only thing that worked.. Cheap too.. If you think this is happening with your horse you could try this. Will not hurt anything if this is not going on. Other then the fact she will feel so good you will not be able to slow her down.. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kate Is Retired Officially   Kate Is Retired Officially Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kate Is Retired Officially
Page 1 of 1