Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horses and loud music

Go down 
+4
PHENOMADACIOUS
Cindy
SilverBuckleHorses
7cedars
8 posters
AuthorMessage
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Horses and loud music Empty
PostSubject: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2007, 9:58 pm

I just read this on some kind of vet newsletter thingy... thought it was rather different.

Officials in Belgrade are making plans to sedate as many as 300 racehorses during a Rolling Stones concert booked at a racecourse, Reuters reported. The plans have raised the ire of area animal rights groups.
The concert will take place at the Hippodrome, Belgrade's largest fenced area. According to the Reuters report, more than 100,000 people are anticipated to attend, and the horses will be stabled in close proximity to the stage.
A Serbian animal protection organization is lobbying to have the concert moved to another venue.
"Research has shown that noise and vibrations are the strongest causes of stress to animals," organization leader Elvir Burazerovic told Reuters.
Burazerovic said the group would contact the Rolling Stones directly if the city would not agree to move the concert to another venue.
Churchill Downs hosted a Rolling Stones concert last year. Horsemen in the barns during the show reported that the horses did not react to the show, which was modified slightly to eliminate explosions and other aspects of the production likely to stress the track's equine residents. Click here to read a report on that concert.
Churchill will be hosting a concert by The Police this year.
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2007, 10:14 pm

My guess is that some people are just being big ole babies about having some rock music. To me, not even worth the tiny risk of sedation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2007, 10:19 pm

Mine are fine with loud music... they just look at me like I've lost my ever living mind jumping around like a chicken... it's the explosive stuff, you know, like fireworks and stuff that always scares the beegeebies out of me.
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2007, 10:21 pm

Hmmmm, so I am being cruel to turn the music up in the barn while I'm cleaning, bathing, etc..... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
PHENOMADACIOUS

PHENOMADACIOUS

Number of posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 9:18 am

I'd be more concerned about the drunk yahoos stubblin around and gettin into the barns, than the actual show... scratch
But that could just be me and my untrusting nature, LOL Shocked
Back to top Go down
stockman

stockman

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 9:32 am

Our horses go to lots of shows at an arena next door to one of the motocross racetracks where they hold huge races with tens of thousands of people and fire works and the whole shebang and they don't really seem to mind. Most horses are extrememly adaptable to their surroundings , maybe racehorses are more highly strung but a racetrack can be a loud stressful place on its own. At fair the horses are stabled for a week right next to the grandstand where they put on tractor pulls, country music shows and demolition derbies alll week as well as a lot of general fair noise and they seem to look forward to that week all year. It's the most fun and excitement theae horses see all year!!
Back to top Go down
7cedars

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 10:55 am

When we went to the first open show this past Fall to get the young'uns used to things, right across the street they've built a huge football stadium, and they were having a 4A football game. I was like, okay, this is going to be fun. Actually sat and watched the game for a bit after we got the horses settled in. It didn't seem to bother even the young'uns.

About five or so years ago, maybe longer, me and the boys were out shooting firecrackers, and one of those things went sideways and hit the barn... needless to say, we haven't done firecrackers anymore.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2007, 12:40 pm

Well, I did skim this one.. I have the radio on in my barn 24/7. I keep it down low at night.. We have cougar, bear, and other types of big cats out here and they will not come around the noise.. All my neighbors do this as well.

I do turn it up when I am cleaning the barn and my horses do not mind at all. Now, I do not turn it up so all the neighbors can hear it.. Just so I can when I am at the other end of the barn...
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2007, 10:41 pm

Hmmm...
I don't buy it...our race horses get to listen to music all the time!
We have a radio on all the time and at the track in Houston they have concerts that start shortly following the last race...they never have had a problem...

I will say that my filly liked Tejano more than Rap...
My 2yo likes Country and Rock (he isn't so keen on Tejano)...

I think horses will adjust...There might be a few who would lose their marbles but those are the ones that would do that anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Kate and Paint

Number of posts : 197

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2007, 11:30 am

I dont know. When we used to practice at the arena, we would bump up the stereo on some country while we were running. Around here, Its really common for people to play a lot of music during barrel races. It kind of how they know this is the real thing and they can go all out and run. I mean, it isnt blasting or anything. I would not be too sure about a loud concert.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/all_texas_cowgirl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horses and loud music   Horses and loud music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horses and loud music
Page 1 of 1