Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Im buying

Go down 
+4
Sip of Rum
SilverBuckleHorses
Bucks&Blues
shazgeoff
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2009, 12:38 pm

Im home from Holland, the pally mare was gorg. She is put together beautifully. May even get away with Halter over here to.

Now my question is what do you do with a very long mane fro showing in Halter aswell
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2009, 1:44 pm

Maybe you could do a running braid. Thats what I had to do with Vegas for halter. Open show, I just left it down.

Your paly is even more yellow than the first pics we saw! Shes cute!
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2009, 1:48 pm

Whats a running braid?
Back to top Go down
SilverBuckleHorses

SilverBuckleHorses

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2009, 2:13 pm

Glad you liked her, I like the idea of the running braid too, that's what I've always done with long manes Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverbucklehorses.cjb.net
Sip of Rum

Sip of Rum

Number of posts : 565

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2009, 7:06 pm

wow thats a long mane!! I would do the running braid.. heres what it looks like

** there are diff ways to do them.. this is just one.. you can see lots of pics if u just google it!

Im buying Article_02d_6
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2009, 9:23 pm

you could do a pattern like a spider web (not sure what to call it we did it in dressage all the time and I love it) don't know how it would go over in halter but I have seen some people in western do it.
Back to top Go down
REINING CHICK

REINING CHICK

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2009, 1:14 am

i went to Cavalia this year. which is a really cool show the do with horses that tours the world. i was granted back stage passes and i asked some of the handlers how they keep the long manes. well trying to get threw the language berriar. what they do is braid then tuck the mane threw then vet wrap it.
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2009, 4:50 pm

Sip posted a perfect example of a running braid. It can be a pain in the butt and make your hands cramp, but its seems to be the best way to show off the neck for halter. Im not sure how well the web pattern will go over in an AQHA halter class, but you could try it.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 6:03 am

I need step by step instructions with pictures on how to do it. I couldnt even braid the kids hair up when they were little. really dont have a girlie instinct.

The people we went and saw would like to train up my daughter,they think she has talent. She is a natural rider i give her that. Im just proud i taught her to ride.

Danielle even asked if she could ride Rosy bareback,they agreed but said the mare never been ridden bareback. Poor Rosy thought it was a bit strange,dani was loping and jogging around all over the place.

Im buying SNV30014-1

Im buying SNV30011
Im buying SNV30002
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 9:49 am

I disagree on the long running braid. Sorry folks, Its halter, not speed events, ect. Id still band it, A real pain I know, but Id band it, or Place Moose on it, wrap a mane tamer to get the fuzz to lay down, Not the slinky type, lose the waves. Ask it to lay down nicely. ID NOT CUT IT for sure. I know it has to be kept braided to keep it nice, Out to pasture, unless a very clean pasture, is out of the question.. Her braids could get caught on something, make sure her stall has nothing for it to get caught on as well. A chunk out of her mane would be terrible! Sad Make it lay down nicely, lose the flyaways on top, lose the waves and show her that way. I see in the larger AQHA shows around here, where they either band the long manes, or just control the flyaways. But like I said loose the waves, a mist bottle of water would do that.
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 12:57 pm

I bet thats hard to loose the waves. It would almost take a straightner/flat iron to get the smooth sleek look. Shes almost in a bind. She needs to keep it braided loosely to protect that mane, but then if she wants to show she needs it smooth and flat. I think misting it with water would only show the waves more.

Its almost not worth banding. Long manes just dont look right banded, JMO.
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 1:01 pm

Oh yeah forgot to mention I saw some Texas flags on the arena walls. Are they from texas?
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 1:55 pm

Hi

Cor what to do with a mane,NO WAY am i cutting it.

The people arnt from Texas but like me fly the flags.
They have the second biggest arena in Holland,very nice people with some very well bred horses.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 4:40 pm

Ive emailed an AQHA judge, will see what they would like to see.. Love that mane.. Wish I didnt have to cut my yearlings, they are both pallys and my filly has really grown a long white one like you mares color.

Quote :
Its almost not worth banding. Long manes just dont look right banded, JMO

They did it at congress last year and it looked great.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 10:03 pm

WOW, you are getting yourself a new mane.. lol! I don't believe there is a rule on manes in the halter pen.. And, I think you will draw attention. coffee

The cow ponies that go for the all around do not do anything with the manes except brush them out and keep them clean. Some do a braid then attach them. The running braid looks like it's just a french braid. You can learn that by practice.. Or, get a beautician to do it for you.. lol!

What ever you do, you have to pay attention and take care of it. You will be out there washing, conditioning and setting your mane every night.. queen

If the horse performs half as nice as the mane then your in like flynn.. If, not, then you have a very PRETTY horse.. ily
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bluejay

Bluejay

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2009, 10:05 pm

PS, don't forget your vet check and have them look at her knees. In the pic where she is tied she looks bent over in the knees.. She really is CUTE.. Might just be the shot.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 1:24 am

Bluejay is right. Its pretty much a french braid. With as much mane as she has, the braid will be super thick the closer you get to her withers. Either way shes a beaut and you should do what you want with her mane, please yourself before you try to please a stranger! If all else fails let her mane be just the way it is and show her like you would your other horses. No matter what they cant help but look at her!
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 6:45 am

Thanks guys

Her knees were fine just the shot. She has a black spot on each knee which is bizarre.

Vetting being done tmrw,yikes
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 9:20 am

The judge suggested this, Keep it simple. Banding would be fine. Neat and Tidy. She is not fond of seeing the braids in halter. However, the mane appearence is not what wins the halter class. But you do want the judges to make them feel you are taking this serious.

Now in our 4-H program We have SMS. We have Contest SMS and Western Judged SMS. For the last 3 years the Contest Judges for SMS announce NO BRAIDING OF MANES. They dont care how long, or short, but do not want to see braids.

So again for showing Id would not braid.
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 10:20 am

Thanks

How would i go about banding all that. Banding a normal mane yes. Surely banding all that would look just like individual long strands, wont it look better just all down loose.

I need pictures of what people do with these long manes
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 11:05 am

I think banding all that would be more trouble then it's worth. Also, bands have a tendency to break off the hair. You will have to keep it protected from tangles and breaking off all the time as it is. If you feel you have to do some thing just section it off and put a few loose bands in it. coffee

If it was me, I would just show her as it is and not mess with it. The people you are buying her from will tell you how they kept it up to get that long and just follow them. You are not purchasing a halter horse. So, I would just keep it natural. Dancing
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 11:23 am

ok im going go for the natural look.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 1:18 pm

I agree, banding was one option. But I was giving options. Id leave out the waves if possible before the show. Put a mane tamer with some moose or jel on it. And Go for it. She is cute! Hey, we will need videos.. Of corse! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 7:58 pm

and make sure you are using a good light leave in conditioner we use infusium 23. don't shampoo more that 1x every 2 weeks or you can get a really dry brittle mane. Hers is wonderful. Have fun with her you will have a blast!!!
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 9:17 pm

I think JJJ is right. We should get a video. Lynn is right about not drying out the mane. Never use anything that has a drying agent in it. No

I like the wavy look and if she were mine I would keep loose braids in all the time. I whould not leave it hanging. And, careful with covers. They can rub it out.. Keep it free from tangles or it will pull out when you brush it.. Good grief, you should have just got an English Sheep dog with all the grooming you are going to be doing.. lol!

Good people tp network with on the does and don'ts of that mane would be those who show Friesians, Morgans, Gypsy Vanures, Andalutions (spelling) those people have to keep the perfect long flowing manes on their horses.. There are all kinds of bugs, fungu and a varity of other things that can make a nice mane go bad.. affraid They know all the tricks..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Im buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im buying   Im buying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Im buying
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next